Wildgoose

AI file crashing system

I want to start a specific topic on this because its apparently an issue and I have a hard time following it through the other threads as it is a sporadic topic.

I loaded SCALP and then went to the website and downloaded the upgrade before I even tried it. I can open jpg files and trace them just fine but I tried to open an Illustrator file (older illustrator 8 version) and it just gives me the runtime error and closes the program. I tried importing and opening a coule different ways in case I was going about it wrong (maybe I still am). No luck yet. I use SignCut Pro and have to save my work into the older illustrator version for it so I assumed it would at least handle that but no go yet. I have been too busy to dedicate a bunch of time to this yet but hope to be able to within the next few days.

I build all my cuts in AI so I am mostly looking for this to run as a cutting utility for my Creation P-Cut rather than worry about the tracing and other design tech that it offers. I'm a patient person and trust that I will get it figured out and will keep updating here as I learn more. Please post up if you are having the same issues and any fixes or ideas you have.

Thanks

I got a reply from support that said that currently not all .ai files are supported but they are working on improving it. I am sending them the file. I'll post it when I get a chance.

I tell you what... Craft Edge support and software engineering seem to be on top of their stuff in regards to this software.... They are actively working with many users to iron out several issues in short order!

• Like 1

Update! The original AI CS5 I tried to open actually opened but was blank. I switched at that point to the older version as mentioned above with the assumption that SCAL wasn't up to handling CS5 yet. That didn't really surprise me because I use SignCut and have to downsave all my work to AI 8 to cut it anyway. Well NOT SO with SCAL. I had time to try some other files tonight and CS5's opened right up for me! I'm like.....What the... So I go back to the first file I tried and low an behold i was just some text that hadn't been converted to curves so it wasn't coming through the transfer into SCAL and I unwhittingly picked that file and then assumed CS5 was out. LOL So if your system is crashing from a runtime error you are probably trying to open a legacy version of AI. An easy fix, if you don't have AI (new enough) on your computer to up-save it, would be to open it in Inkscape and save it in native inkscape (.svg) and your golden. SCAL is cool with CS5 AI files. Yea!

I do have a new concern that I must research. SCAL isn't bringing over the assigned colors to the AI files so they are all assigned black in SCAL which makes using cut-by-color a no-go. I told the support folks about it and will see if I'm just missing something.

I tell you what... Craft Edge support and software engineering seem to be on top of their stuff in regards to this software.... They are actively working with many users to iron out several issues in short order!

As they should be I am sure this will be a lucatraive deal for them with the amount of cutters that USCUTTER sells.