Sign in to follow this  
passion4signs

inkscape newbie looking for help

Just starting out with inkscape and flexi starter and vinyl cutting..I loaded the latest version of inkscape and want to know how how to:

Create a boarder around my finished product (I am creating signs) I currently use the rectangle funtion and create 4 thin lines to make the boarder but when I cut in flexi they are all separate...I realize there has to be a proper way to do this and do it as one piece. Also how do you get rounded corners? Also is there a function to do this in flexi starter?

Thanks

I create a square around whatever needs to be inside it > path > linked offset (a node should appear and you will basically move it out until the desired thickness of the border)

Hopefully I answered what you were trying to achieve!

Make your rectangle. After you have it the size you want it, you will see 2 small squares at 2 of the corners and 1 small circle. Click and hold the circle and then just move it to round the corners to your liking. Then if you want the rectangle to be open in the center (kinda like a border), just duplicate the rectangle, shrink it, select both rectangles (original one and one you shrank) and align them both with alignment tool. Now go to "path">"object to path" then "difference".