Guest mkalohadesigns

Cutting Machine Not Found Error

Guest mkalohadesigns

Hi All,

I have been trying to troubleshoot my 12" USCutter MH Series vinyl cutter for the last couple of days now. I'll spare you all the drama I had to endure and just list what/where I'm at now and hope for the best - your help. :)

Specs & Current Set-up

Mac OS X

Version: 10.7.5

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Drivers Installed: Keyspan OS X 10.7 LION, FTDI Chip USB driver

Cables Used: Null Modem Serial Cable (that came with the cutter), USB to Serial Adapter DB-9 (I bought this for $5.54 from monoprice.com instead of the $45 offered separately through USCutter)

I'm working with a MacBook Pro OS X version 10.7 with Intel processor and have the cutter hooked up using a keyspan USB to serial adapter. I downloaded and installed the driver as directed and provided at start.uscutter.com/mh/osx, and changed the Baude Rate settings on the cutter to 4800. I also installed the FTDI USB driver via the Help menu in SCALP.

And prior to attempting to run a test using SCAL I rebooted my computer. The USB connection is seen by my computer as evidenced when I look it up in my computer's Utility/System Information under Hardware > USB as "USB-Serial Controller D" in the USB Device Tree below USB High-Speed Bus > Hub.

Now to the Problem...

With everything plugged in and turned on, I add some text to the work area in SCALP, select it, choose my cutter, and send it to cut. It then shows the "Cutting..." queue window grayed out with the word "Initializing..." for a couple of seconds before an error window titled "Cutting Machine Not Found" pops up. In this window it says the following block message:

US Cutter machine could not be found. Please make sure it is connected and turned on.

Troubleshooting Tips

- Make sure the cutting machine is turned on and connected to your computer.

- Make sure the USB cable is not loose at either end.

- If the USB connection looks ok, try the following:

1. Turn the cutting machine off.

2. Unplug the cutter's USB cable from the computer.

3. Unplug the Power Source from the cutter.

4. Wait 10 seconds and then plug in the Power Source to the cutter.

5. Plug the USB cable back into the computer.

6. Turn the cutting machine on.

My Question

What am I missing or doing wrong? I am at my whit's end on troubleshooting this whole thing. I consider myself pretty techie, but this is the first time working with a cutter. Would someone please help me? Your time and assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much in advance!

Shouldn't your Baude be set at 9600, Data Bits - 8, Parity - none, Stop bits - 1 and Flow Control - Hardware !

And make sure it's the same in Device Manager to whatever port you have assigned the cutter to.

Don't really know much about Mac's and SCALP.

• Like 1

Shouldn't your Baude be set at 9600, Data Bits - 8, Parity - none, Stop bits - 1 and Flow Control - Hardware !

And make sure it's the same in Device Manager to whatever port you have assigned the cutter to.

Don't really know much about Mac's and SCALP.

Guest is correct, with baud rate according to Set up instructions for Mac

KEYSPAN ADAPTER CONNECTION SETUP

IMPORTANT: The Baud Rate in the cutter settings needs to be changed from 9600 to 4800. Turn on your cutter and follow the steps below.

1. Press the Setup button once or twice and look for Baud Rate
  2. Press the left or right keys and change to 4800
  3. Press the Reset button

STEP 11: Connect the Null Modem Serial Cable to the Serial Port of the cutter.

from here.

http://start.uscutter.com/mh/osx

The baud rate is correct, and the only help i can offer is that the little MH does indeed work with the program. I, however, opted for the d/l version from Craftedge and am running a AMD based Win7 PC.

Ah OK... I have to have my Baude set at 38400 for my set up.

Like l said don't have anything to do with Mac's etc, was just a obsivation when reading the post.

Cheers.

Guest mkalohadesigns

The baud rate is correct, and the only help i can offer is that the little MH does indeed work with the program. I, however, opted for the d/l version from Craftedge and am running a AMD based Win7 PC.

My disc copy of the program came with my cutter. Do you think it would make any difference if I tried the downloadable version?

as long as you are prompted to, and install updates, then I really don't think so. just mentioning it.

So I decided to go ahead and create a forum account. I am the original poster of this question. :)

I sent this same information to Craft Edge Support to see if they know anything from the software end, and will share any helpful information when they respond.

• Like 1

Hope this helps anyone else with an MH365 MK2 and a Mac. I went in circles jumping from various sets of instructions for setting up the MH series with a Mac, installing and uninstalling drivers for the last two weeks trying to troubleshoot. Turns out, the solution for my situation was NOT the keyspan adapter, but an updated USB driver. It's weird because the bullet points with bold text is exactly what the CraftEdge support told me to do earlier and I still had no such luck until I re-installed the latest USB driver just now.

This is what worked for me:

- Installed latest version of Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro (v. 3.036)

- Installed latest version FTDI Chip USB Driver (2.2.18) from here - http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

- (Baud Rate set back to 9600 instead of 4800)

- Connected cutter to Mac using USB cable that came with the cutter (no adapter used)

- Turn on cutter

- Open up SCAL

- Send a test cut

...and Viola!

Glad you got it working,and glad to see somebody spell Viola correctly.

• Like 1