slice&dice

SCP -- Here's what I am expecting to find

OK, let's start this thread off with a new abbreviation for SureCutsALotPro -- I cannot justify using SCALP, so I've simplified it to SCP.

I'm about to become a laboratory guinea-pig for this new software, and USCUTTER has requested that I add my 2¢ regarding usage of it within my retail sign-making environment.

The following expectations are what I've come up with, as I await delivery of the install disk:

1. Wide selection of fonts, and ability to view what the font looks like as I scroll through the list.

2. Clip-art library that includes food items, like pizza slice and sub sandwich.

3. Previews of work files, so I can see what's there in miniature, and not just go by file name.

4. Easy configuration of workspace, and an open area available alongside the workspace for holding various extra stuff (referred to in other programs as the 'scratch area' or 'pasteboard')

5. Simple process of creating .jpg images of the design, allowing emailing as sign proofs.

6. Leading and Kerning without any pain or strain.

7. Text-Follow-Arc in a snap.

8. Zoom Sign, Zoom Extents, Zoom Selected. (and Grouping Objects, Arranging to Front/Back)

9. Quick Borders (although I rarely cut them, adding a thin border is vital when showing a customer a sign design, as it "surrounds" the graphic and gives an illusion of substrate, instead of the graphic just floating in empty space)

10. Option for No Grid.

And so it goes..

I would be careful using SCP as well :) ie. SignCut Pro...

A) I believe my expectations are mixed with yours, I am anticipating a cut-configuration screen as friendly as SignCut and Cutting Master/Production MGR (sans ALL of the bells and whistles)

B) Hopefully the weeding line tools will be functional and easy-to-use.

C) Speed and Reliability - I look for SCAL Pro to be as reliable as Cutting Master, and MORE reliable than SignCut (at least previous versions, the new one is better about NOT crashing)

D) Compatibility with several file-types.... curious if it will be good, bad, fussy/picky, or generic.

I am excited to try it, and give it a solid side by side. I use SignCut Pro, as well as Cutting Master 2 (plugin w/Corel X6) on a regular basis... It will have to hang somewhere between these 2 to gain my solid vote at its normal price-point.

I am also glad to see a viable replacement for SBE.

Just got my copy of Sure Cuts A Lot Pro via FedEx.

Humm looks interesting. At first glance I do not see how to import/open .eps files. Am I missing anything or is .eps not supported?

-Scott

I don't see anywhere it says it will. Description says :

"Pro gives users the ability to import a variety of vector and raster images from external graphics programs including Adobe Illustrator CS4-CS6 and CorelDRAW X3-X6"

It doesn't say it won't though.

I have the Pro version and there is many less file options than SignBlazer at least at first glance.

I know I don't see how to import .eps files.

When I open the "import" window which is "Ctrl+Shift+I" the only file types to choose from are .svg, .svgs, .pdf, .ai, .scut, .scut2, .scut3

When I open the "open project" window "Control+O" I can only choose to open .scut, .scut2, or .scut3 files.

I hope there is an option for .eps somewhere. If not then I'm already done with the software and will give it a zero rating.....

-Scott

• Like 1

Are you using the Windows version? If so, have you tried to copy and paste the .eps? I'm using it on a mac and things sometimes don't work the same.

Yes the windows version. I'm seeing that the program will open some but not all of the .eps files I have. I'll keep playing with it. Just a little bummed at the outset of working with the software.

-Scott

I have the Pro version and there is many less file options than SignBlazer at least at first glance.

I know I don't see how to import .eps files.

When I open the "import" window which is "Ctrl+Shift+I" the only file types to choose from are .svg, .svgs, .pdf, .ai, .scut, .scut2, .scut3

When I open the "open project" window "Control+O" I can only choose to open .scut, .scut2, or .scut3 files.

I hope there is an option for .eps somewhere. If not then I'm already done with the software and will give it a zero rating.....

-Scott

Yes...BIG drawback, if it doesn't import/open both older AND newer eps files it isn't much better than SB at this time....

AND it costs $50 more right now! (or $200 after the special)

Really, I can't imagine a program that retails for $200 NOT being able to open major vector files.

It doesn't make sense....there must be something we are missing.

Sue2

• Like 2

I would think opening in one software so you can copy/paste into another would be a major drawback and a big hindrance to your workflow. Even more so with people who have vast libraries of eps files.

US Cutter is aware of the issue and it is being worked on. No definite time as to when a patch might be available but it is in the works.

meanwhile, EPS can be converted to SVG in Illustrator.

US Cutter is aware of the issue and it is being worked on. No definite time as to when a patch will be available but it is in the works.

meanwhile, EPS can be converted to SVG in Illustrator.

Really, a patch???

You're not kidding?

Somehow they missed the fact that MOST vector files we use are eps???

Unbelievable!

Fire the guy who blew that one!

Sue2

I am excited to see if it will print in newer AI formats. I have been using Signcut Pro and have to save all my work in older Illustrator 8 format for it to recognize.

Really, a patch???

You're not kidding?

Somehow they missed the fact that MOST vector files we use are eps???

Unbelievable!

Fire the guy who blew that one!

Sue2

There were at least 6 of us (members) trying out the software for well over a month and none of us caught it. I guess we all assumed (like the folks at USC) that it would import EPS files. Some of which, it will,btw.

There were at least 6 of us (members) trying out the software for well over a month and none of us caught it. I guess we all assumed (like the folks at USC) that it would import EPS files. Some of which, it will,btw.

Well, okay, you can stay.

;-)

Let's just get this fixed...that is a BIG drawback.

Sue2

well, unlike SignBlazer...there is still someone working on this software. I have a feeling that perhaps the developer might have been in a rush. And from what I am getting from customers...SVG seems to be the wave of the future. I'm getting quite a few these days.

I know I have never received anything in SVG and have never been asked for one. I do alot of work for some pretty big marketing agencies that are working with some cutting edge programs but have yet to see this. Wave of the future maybe but still not anywhere near a common format. I think of it like swf files or png, (been around forever and should be used more) kind of annoying little things that browsers like.

But again this is my take on it, results may vary greatly.

• Like 1

Luckily I do not have many .eps files and I do have some .svg files. I'm very new to computer graphics and no real experience or software other than Inkscape, SignBlazer, Sign Cut (but I won't be buying a license for it after the 1 year trial) and now Sure Cuts A Lot Pro.

I was thinking of buying Corel Draw but not sure which version I should buy and learn.

-Scott

I was thinking of buying Corel Draw but not sure which version I should buy and learn.

-Scott

X3 or X4 will work fine for you.

If you are using Windows 7 ... X5 or X6 may be the better choice.

Sue2

X3 or X4 will work fine for you.

If you are using Windows 7 ... X5 or X6 may be the better choice.

Sue2

And let's not even get into what's going to happen with users of Win8, as they struggle with their issues....

And let's not even get into what's going to happen with users of Win8, as they struggle with their issues....

I have 0 issues with anything

I have 0 issues with anything

I retract my pessimism, in that case.

UPDATE: My SCP disk should be arriving today, and I'll begin my quest to get up and running and provide details of how it goes.

Slice&dice please post up as quick as possible and let us know which version you get on the disk and will it work with your SC. I have an SC and it would not work for me yesterday. I didn't get a chance to call Craft Edge but there is no update on their website that I saw.

I will say I'm not thrilled with the software as of now.

-Scott

OK, here's the deal. A few points of information ----

-- The program is on a CD, not DVD disk.

-- As we now have confirmed, version 3.033 will not drive the SC machine.

-- The first thing I did when opening the interface was to rearrange the placement and sizing and positioning of all the various Libraries and Properties and other boxes that occupy all my screen real estate. I would really have liked the program to remember that new configuration when I re-open it each time thereafter. No such luck.

-- The "View" menu doesn't offer "Zoom to Selected" or "Zoom All" or "Zoom Extents" -- WTF.

-- I gave up on using this program AFTER FIVE MINUTES.

-- If you installed the program, and activated it, you'll need to go to the HELP menu and select "deactivate" (while online) prior to uninstalling, if you wish to place it on 2 other computers later.

-- I have now uninstalled the program, and really don't feel like troubleshooting or patching, or even spending two more minutes fooling with it.

slice&dice-Those are my feelings exactly.

But there is a way to save your workspace according to an online tutorial. I had the day off yesterday and actually spent a couple of hours going through the tutorials and playing with the software before trying to cut something. But yup...3.033 won't work with an SC machine so $9 wasted in shipping.

I e-mailed Craft Edge while at work and got a quick response. They sent a link to the 3.035 patch/software http://www.craftedge.com/bin/SetupSureCutsALotPro_3_035.exe