motoxchic

How do you store and organize your vinyl?

2 part question

Do you store in the plastic shipping bags and keep the cut edge taped up? Will all be stored inside

How do you organize/store to save space or keep it easy to access different colors?

You should store standing on end or hanging on a rack not laying flat . I always tape my edge and write the amount left on the roll on the tape that way I know at a glance what I have left and if I need to recorder that color . You can make your own rack real easy mine is a 2x6 with 1.25 closet rod dowels to set the rolls on .

Good to know, thank you! I would love to see pics too :thumbsup: I am trying to setup my small existing office for everything and its getting tight.

Racks.

Can that rack be loaded with ALL 50 yrd rolls? LOL Just wondering. I see people using those racks on the wall, like that. I can just picture my whole wall gone, with 50 yd rolls on it. . ...LOL. Really, all I use is 50 yd rolls, I stand them all up.

• Like 1

Can that rack be loaded with ALL 50 yrd rolls? LOL Just wondering. I see people using those racks on the wall, like that. I can just picture my whole wall gone, with 50 yd rolls on it. . ...LOL. Really, all I use is 50 yd rolls, I stand them all up.

Make sure you mount it to the studs and not just the sheetrock.

• Like 1

Excellent question -- and the answer is NO.

For one thing, the weight of the roll itself tends to cause the inner core to stretch and get disfugured on those wire holders, becoming elongated and oval.

So, I only keep 15" wide half-used rolls/scraps and my 10-yard rolls on those racks.

All the full 150' rolls, and wider widths (24" and 30") are on the floor standing up.

Excellent question -- and the answer is NO.

For one thing, the weight of the roll itself tends to cause the inner core to stretch and get disfugured on those wire holders, becoming elongated and oval.

So, I only keep 15" wide half-used rolls/scraps and my 10-yard rolls on those racks.

All the full 150' rolls, and wider widths (24" and 30") are on the floor standing up.

that's what I thought.. no way.. so, just like I do,, all rolls are on the floor standing up on end. I think a 50 yd roll weighs around 35 pounds. 24" x 50 yd.

like the rack idea. noted on the weight issue. I think most of my stuff will be on the small side, so that might work. could even all more "posts" to the rack to fit more small stuff. now, to find a spot for it :huh:

The nice thing about those racks is the overall effect it creates of a color-fest when customers come into the store and see them all displayed like that.

By the way, those racks ain't cheap -- GRIMCO sells them for $55 each. They also offer heavy-duty free-standing racking that holds 44 of the 30" rolls (the wire loops are longer to accomodate them) but that will set ya back $250. plus shipping.

The floor is free.

yeah, that a little pricey, shipping probably kills it. Since i work from home, i dont need anything too fancy. My husband welds, etc, so i think some metal, paint, welding, and i might be able to design something that fits our space. I will check out the free standing rack as well, might be able to design up an all in one :thumbsup:

(as an aside, i think i have created about 10 new word docs with all the info I am getting here and online: application method, stands/tables/organization, setup/care of cutter, pricing, weeding, copyright...lol. *insert exploding head smiley here* !) Haven't even had time to find a cute avatar! btw, is online avatar use considered a copyright violation? ...headed to take notes...)

I have my 15 inch rolls on a wall rack in a closet. All my 24" vinyls stand up on floor near the plotter.

We built this stand a few years back, we have out grown it and are about to make a new larger one for our new office - sign room we are halfway through building.

post-6289-0-54243900-1400469553_thumb.jp

20140511_200044_zpsag5ehzzs.jpg

Majority are 24"x10yard rolls, wire rack was pulling away from wall, bought some small angle brackets from homedepot, smashed them into flat brackets and screwed into studs.

Easy to hang stuff on the wall not so easy to create more floor space.

Majority are 24"x10yard rolls, wire rack was pulling away from wall, bought some small angle brackets from homedepot, smashed them into flat brackets and screwed into studs.

Easy to hang stuff on the wall not so easy to create more floor space.

I wouldn't leave that 50 yd roll on there much longer, looks like its already bending the wire. next thing you know, your buying a new computer monitor that the 30 lb roll just used as a trampoline.