Sign in to follow this  
Tim H.

RC Planes and Other Stuff

Hello all,

Just a quick pic of my first project. Airplane is an Sbach 342, all foam with vinyl graphics. Helicopter is just in the pic, but I'm working on holographic vinyl decals for the blades. It's my first real project other than test cuts and various random decals. I've started to do some logos for my kids and some laptop decals too.

Cheers,

Tim

post-4785-0-87047500-1351515670.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice work! I too fly rc planes and heli's! I got the trex 450 pro and a techone apollo foamy as my fleet. How did you go about making the graphics on the sbach?

Sbach was designed in TurboCad and cut on a CNC router I built. Once the design was finalized in TurboCad, I converted the DXF to PDF and imported it into XaraX. I use Cad for design and Xara for vector graphics. Never learned Corell stuff. Once everything was sized corectly, I started cutting. Pretty straight forward, but i'm still climbing the learning curve!

Im definitely going to make paint masks! I got a nice airbrush that needs to get the webs dusted off it. Im thinking oracal 810 for depron or is the adhesion a little too much? I dont want to remove that light sheen that depron has.

might try some regular old contact paper, it has a low tack and can be bought just about any place. with depron you will be using low solvent type of paint so attacking the adhesive should also not be a probelm. you might have to do a test to see how well it sticks to depron.

btw. been flying rc for years, nice to see some others on here that also fly. I have several of the popular rc logos, feel free to pm me and let me know what you need I might have it. Rick

• Like 1

I have been flying rc airplanes for about 10 years myself. Very nice work on the foamy. I will soon be the owner of a 42% edge 540. Can't wait to see what graphics I can come up with. Keep up the good work.

Friends don't let friends fly foam. :-) Not sure what vinyl will stick to much to depron. Frisket from the art or hobby shop should work ok but is difficult to work with. Contact paper is an idea which I have used in the past.

Below is a tail patch I did on my Sabre using vinyl stencils that I made and an airbrush. With vinyl you can get quite intricate designs to paint. The biggest plus to having my own cutter is I can screw up as many paint masks as needed to get it just right.

-Scott

post-24954-0-29350800-1351786347.jpg

Friends don't let friends fly foam. :-) Not sure what vinyl will stick to much to depron. Frisket from the art or hobby shop should work ok but is difficult to work with. Contact paper is an idea which I have used in the past.

Below is a tail patch I did on my Sabre using vinyl stencils that I made and an airbrush. With vinyl you can get quite intricate designs to paint. The biggest plus to having my own cutter is I can screw up as many paint masks as needed to get it just right.

-Scott

great work!

might try some regular old contact paper, it has a low tack and can be bought just about any place. with depron you will be using low solvent type of paint so attacking the adhesive should also not be a probelm. you might have to do a test to see how well it sticks to depron.

btw. been flying rc for years, nice to see some others on here that also fly. I have several of the popular rc logos, feel free to pm me and let me know what you need I might have it. Rick

Avery has a paint mask.... Also Oracal has a mask called Oramask... They both work, but the Avery is better as far as the adhesive goes with no residue and very little bleed

Which A-10? I've started working up a decal sheet for an A-10 myself. I have a Wade Joos A-10 about 62" wingspan. It's not finished hahahhaaa

I have a Jepe A-10. Just a bit smaller than Wade's. I'm also saving my pennies for the new Skymaster 1:7 EDF A-10 http://www.rcgroups....d.php?t=1649273 It'll be a while... Do you have a stencil set for the A-10. I have one that I'll try to dig up and I'll post it here.

Just did the pilot decal for my Big Trex.

post-4785-0-90112500-1352589399.jpg

• Like 1

Love seeing otheer RC guys on the forums. Ive been racing rc cars/trucks for about 10 years. I wrap A TON of these cars every year. Check out my facebook for a few pics that i posted up...Im thinking about taking it to the air soon. lol

Facebook.com/YourCustomGraphics1

First day of cutting went very good for me thanks to all the great info on here. Doing a rebuild of a second hand 37.5% Pilot Yak54 for a friend. So he got to be the guinea pig for my vinyl work. He has earned this title. Like wise great to see other RC Addicts on here. You can find me on all the other RC forums (RCG, FG. HF, RCU. etc) w/same user name.post-37668-0-58293800-1362892789_thumb.j

So "re-maiden" flight of 150cc Yak54 went very well, got in some good trim flights and of course some hovering around.

I would like to try and use some of the mat finish Oracal 631 on Monokote or Ultracote. Have any of you RCers tried this and if so how did it hold up attached to trim covering and cowls? I'm worried how the 631 will do in the sun on trim covering. Will it wrinkle or shrink over time?

Obviously need to do a test.........

Just finished up a new 92" wingspan 55cc laser cut airplane kit. I did all the trim work in vinyl. I'm pretty happy with how it all came out.

DSCF2634.jpg

• Like 1