slice&dice

Frankenstorm ---- who's scared?

This thread is here for anyone who wishes to chime in here with comments, updates, reports, experiences & stories.

+==========================+

The name came from James Cisco, a forecaster with the federal government's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center in College Park, Md.

Cisco first used the name Thursday afternoon in an online report:

The winds from Sandy, he wrote, will be "incorporated into a hybrid vortex entering over the mid-Atlantic and Northeast next Monday & Tuesday." This "unusual merger should settle back toward the interior Northeast through Halloween (Wednesday), inviting perhaps a ghoulish nickname for the cyclone along the lines of 'Frankenstorm,' an allusion to Mary Shelley's Gothic creature of synthesized elements."

+=========================+

post-21408-0-16225400-1351453941.jpg

• Like 1

Just a light rain and some wind here in Philly for now but my boss called and telling us all we don't have to show up for work tomorrow. :)

They are calling for a blizzard in our mountains Tuesday into Wednesday am with 18 to 24 Inches accumulation . We will just wait and see. I've got the generator filled and ready and the propane tank for heat if needed . But when I was young on the farm electricity was the only modern convenience we had so a few days without the conveniences won't kill me Hell people pay big money to go out I'm the wilderness and rough it . We will prepare for the worst and hope for the best . Hopefully we don't have a massive amount of trees come down like we did this summer.

Waves were awesome where I usually jetski along the coast of Kennedy Space Center. The waves were so good there was actually 4 teams of tow in surfers. That's the first time I have seen surfers up there in 4 years of riding that spot.

We barely got any rain and the wind wasn't so bad either.

-Scott

• Like 1

Just rain and breezey here now. They have a blizzard alert out here monday after 6 till wednesday. I made sure all my batteries are charged in case the inverter system needs switched on to run the house. We are used to snow so it's no big deal how much we get.

The Weather Channel is saying this storm "will occupy a place in the annals of weather history as one of the most extraordinary to have affected the United States."

According to the tracking models, the worst of the storm will reach into New Jersey and NY on Tuesday a.m.

Here in Baltimore, we're just behind the trailing edge, but I'm sure it will wreak havoc.

Be safe, all.

The update this morning is that they are expecting 10 million or more homes with power outages . Already light snow here this morning from the cold front coming from the west .

At 8 AM Monday here at the very tip top of Virginia it's just drizzling with a slight breeze.

All public schools have been closed and gov't offices in DC.

Weather forcasters here are calling for 2-6" of rain and high gusts of wind.

So the power will probably be out .... but for how long?

I'm at work now...but at the first sign of nasty weather, I'm out of here!

Rather be trapped at home than at work........................

Our neighbors to the west in WV are going to be gifted with 12" or more

of snow!

Sue2

Not a drop of rain, snow or wind here in Del RIo, TX.... However, in honor of our east coast friends we will incorporate a Hurricane Party alongside our Halloween Party and coin the term "Frankenhangover"...

At 8 AM Monday here at the very tip top of Virginia it's just drizzling with a slight breeze.

All public schools have been closed and gov't offices in DC.

Weather forcasters here are calling for 2-6" of rain and high gusts of wind.

So the power will probably be out .... but for how long?

I'm at work now...but at the first sign of nasty weather, I'm out of here!

Rather be trapped at home than at work........................

Our neighbors to the west in WV are going to be gifted with 12" or more

of snow!

Sue2

Sue our local forecast is calling for up to 24 inches where we are ( I guess that is why the ski slopes are here lol ) and se of where you are at snowshoe resort there is a possibility of maybe even 3 ft. But that is just forecasters predicting worst case scenarios I talked to my son in Roanoke Va. this morning he said they are just calling for wind and a rain/snow mix . You be careful there where the storm is coming inland yall may get hard .

Well the snow has arrived here now. Pelting it down with half dollars have a inch or so on the ground now. Weather man said to expect about a foot.

From NOAA

...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL AND HIGH WIND EXPECTED FOR THE HIGHER

ELEVATIONS...

.POST TROPICAL STORM SANDY WILL BRING HEAVY SNOW AND HIGH WIND

OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

MDZ001-WVZ023-041-292245-

/O.CON.KPBZ.BZ.W.0001.121029T2200Z-121030T2200Z/

GARRETT-PRESTON-TUCKER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...GRANTSVILLE...KINGWOOD...

TERRA ALTA...PARSONS...DAVIS...THOMAS

1033 AM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO

6 PM EDT TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE BEST CHANCES FOR HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW

WILL COME FOR ELEVATIONS GREATER THAN 2500 FEET OVER THE TRI-

COUNTY AREA TO THE SOUTH OF OAKLAND.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW AND HIGH WINDS IN EXCESS OF 40

MPH AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...10 TO 16 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO RECEIVE LIGHT

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS DURING THE DAYTIME. HOWEVER...THE PRIMARY

THREAT IS WHEN RAIN BEGINS TO CHANGE OVER TO SNOW ACROSS A MORE

WIDESPREAD AREA THIS EVENING...WITH THE MOST INTENSE SNOW

EXPECTED AFTER MIDNIGHT. WINDS WILL ALSO BE AT THEIR STRONGEST

AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW WILL BEGIN TO DIMINISH IN INTENSITY ON

TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED

DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WIND. VISIBILITY WILL BE NEAR

ZERO IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. STRONG WIND MAY DOWN POWER

LINES AND TREE LIMBS. SECONDARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE.

* WINDS...WEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE-QUARTER MILE IN THE HEAVIEST SNOW

BANDS.

61 and calm here in the Pacific Northwest. Not a sign of Sandy yet.

Morning all!

Tuesday AM...5.5" rain total so far...no snow.

Creeks are high & threatening to go over the roads.

Power is still on...only blinked off a few times last night.

Winds weren't that bad....have been through worse.

Expecting another 1" of rain along with 45 mph winds

thru to 2 pm or so today.

So far much better than the predictions.

I can't believe that all but one of the area TV station spent

continual hours and hours all afternoon and night reporting

on "The Storm".

Sue2

About 70 miles due west of DC.

Finally light enough to check out natures gift from last night several inches of snow ,trees and tree limbs down . The governed has declared a declaration of emergency and almost everything closing . The forecast is for wind and several more inches of snow with a blizzard warning for today . The Jersey and NY coast really got hammered by the early news .

so far 20+"of snow and more expected. power Is out for most of the County.posting on my cell phone.

What part of Maryland ? We have over a foot and are just now really getting the heavy bands from Sandy our weather yesterday came from a cold front from the north west . Are you close to cumberland ?

My guess also Dan . I travel I-68 going to the Weston farm . Snow piles still melting in June some years ^-^

• Like 2

I count my blessings...

you are in Baltimore ( my birthplace ) ? I am about 25 miles south , 6 miles east of Annapolis . We could have a cup of ice tea sometimes :lol:

What part of Maryland ? We have over a foot and are just now really getting the heavy bands from Sandy our weather yesterday came from a cold front from the north west . Are you close to cumberland ?

GrantsvIlle md,top corner of MD 2 miles form the PA lime about 16 from the WV line. Cumberland MD Is like Florida compared to here. Deep creek lake iis just over the hill from me, I c can see the wisp ski resort I'm that close

Ok that makes even more sense with the elevation we have been fortunate we still have power and only about a foot and a half of snow here in southern WV. We are at about 2600 ft. and about 10 miles from winterplace ski resort they are close to 3000 ft. That is the price for living in paradise lol

you are in Baltimore ( my birthplace ) ? I am about 25 miles south , 6 miles east of Annapolis . We could have a cup of ice tea sometimes :lol:

Yes, I will make it a point of doing so in the near future, thank you for the invite.