hayride2

Plotter not lining back up

That may not be an accurate description but the problem I'm having is when I cut a long design, 94" to be exact, it doesn't go back to where it was set so the design is messed up. It was fine a few days ago but now it's doing this! I have tried everything I can think of but I can't correct this.

I am trying to cut a 7" x 94" reflective blue stripe with the word police cut out of the middle down the side of a police vehicle so I really need this to be right. Can anyone help me or give me any suggestions on what I need to do. This reflective vinyl is too expensive to keep messing up!

Getting vinyl to track perfectly takes a bit of practice. You have to load the vinyl straight and the tracking wheels perfect also. And on any entry level cutter and at that length. You have to keep prefeeding your vinyl back and forth and get it lined up perfect, for those kind of lengths. Also, you should never be pulling directly from the vinyl roll while cutting. It will change the vinyl tracking while your cutting.

I forgot to say I am using a PC 630 and I have no control over the right tracking wheel, it's stationary. I did pre-feed the vinyl back and forth but by the time it comes back to the beginning the vinyl has moved! I tried taking it off the roll but the results were the same. I have cut long designs before and didn't have this problem. I bought this in 2008, could it just be worn out? I hope now because I can't afford to buy a new one! My husband thinks one wheel is rolling faster than the other. Can that be?

I forgot to say I am using a PC 630 and I have no control over the right tracking wheel, it's stationary. I did pre-feed the vinyl back and forth but by the time it comes back to the beginning the vinyl has moved! I tried taking it off the roll but the results were the same. I have cut long designs before and didn't have this problem. I bought this in 2008, could it just be worn out? I hope now because I can't afford to buy a new one! My husband thinks one wheel is rolling faster than the other. Can that be?

make sure all belts are tight and see if there are set screws in the rollers and that they are tight

by lining up the tracking wheels I mean they should be about the same distance on each side of the vinyl. Example: both sides wheels 1 inch inside the vinyl, so one side is not puling more than the other.

Skeeter, I will check all those things, thank you. Jay2703, I thought of that too and slowed it down to the slowest and it didn't help at all.

Skeeter, I will check all those things, thank you. Jay2703, I thought of that too and slowed it down to the slowest and it didn't help at all.

A dull blade can cause problems, and reflective will dull a blade fast so I hear. Are you using the correct blade for reflective vinyl?

I bet I'm not using the correct blade. I think I read somewhere you should use a 45 or 60 degree blade I don't remember which) to cut reflective vinyl but I've never found any for my plotter. Would that cause the vinyl to move?

a dull blade will . You posted this in Pcut section, so I am assuming you have a Creation Pcut, so it's a Roland blade.

That wouldn't explain it not lining up when I'm just running the vinyl back and forth to make sure it's straight. The blade isn't being used at all and the vinyl is not in the same place when I run it back to the beginning after running it the length I need.

I have never used reflective, but isn't it heavier than regular vinyl? All that is left, is making sure sure the grit rollers are moving at the same pace. And the rollers are spaced evenly on the vinyl.

I believe it is heavier. My husband questions if the rollers are moving at the same pace. I have no idea how to check that! There are only two rollers on the machine (it's a 24" cut), the left one is stationary but I place the right one about the same distance from the edge as the stationary one. So, I guess I'm back to square one, huh?

That wouldn't explain it not lining up when I'm just running the vinyl back and forth to make sure it's straight. The blade isn't being used at all and the vinyl is not in the same place when I run it back to the beginning after running it the length I need.

If it's not tracking when just running the vinyl through the cutter you either do not have it lined up correctly or there is a mechanical defect.

What model PCut do you have? I use a PCut CT-900 and it tracks great. I've cut up to about eight feet and the tracking held to less than 1/32 inch front to back. But it takes some technique to get the tracking right and double-checking before you cut.

I could be wrong, but I thought all PCuts came with three pressure wheels? And the left one doesn't move??? Are you sure this is a PCut???

My suggestions are:

Move your vinyl more than the length of the cut through the cutter to completely check the tracking.

Make sure the pressure wheels are sitting over the knurled senction of the roller bar that the vinyl sits on top of when loaded. This is very important!

Use a good, sharp blade and ease up on the head pressure using only enough to cut the vinyl. Any more will help pull the vinyl off track as it's cutting.

Going slow is usually better...

Reflective is tuff to cut and the extra drag from the blade slicing through it can pull the vinyl off track. A 60 degree blade may be better and maybe not? The more vertical angle of the blade may actually cause more drag on the vinyl as it's cutting? I might think a 45 degree blade would be better?

The worst I ever tried to cut was glow-in-the-dark stuff. Extremely thick and hard. A 3 foot section was a good half inch off from the beginning but I made it work. Afterwards, I found a suggestion to ease way up on the head pressure and then double up on the graphic so the cutter would cut it twice. I might try that some time, or not?

Good luck with this and there's no reason why it shouldn't work even if you have to buy a third pressure roller...

• Like 1

BearleyRich, I have a Creation PCut 630ST. I understand about lining up the vinyl correctly but I guess I'm not making myself clear on this. Even if I don't have the vinyl straight when I go back to the beginning of the vinyl it should go back exactly where it was. It USED to do that, but it won't do it now. It will go off anywhere from 1/4' to 1" and that messes up the cut.

I am sure it's a PCut and the left wheel is stationary, which I hate, but that's the way it is. I have the pressure wheels about the same distance from the edges of the vinyl and I have slowed it down to the very slowest it will go. Nothing has made a difference. It's as if one wheel is moving faster than the other but as I said before I don't know how to correct that.

As for the blade, I will check into trying different blades but that isn't my problem. It isn't tracking right while I'm just running it through back and forth. Even when I run it through the entire length I need, and find I have it straight, when I run it back to the beginning IT MOVES. I don't know how else to explain this. I don't understand why it's moving but it does. It doesn't do it when pulling it off the roll, this is happening when I run it back to the beginning.

I didn't know I could buy a third pressure roller, not even sure if I can install one. Is this even possible? I would be very interested in doing this. How can I find out about this option?

Thank all of you for your help and I hope I don't come off as rude, I'm just trying to make myself understood and I'm very frustrated with this whole thing. I bought it in 2008 so I'm just wondering if it's worn out. I can't afford to buy a new one at this time but I sure can't do any large jobs with this one. Small jobs are okay but it looks like anything large won't track. I'll have to check different lengths and see where it starts going off.

I couldn't find any information about a PCut 630ST on the net so I have no idea?

Right now, the blade and cutting do not seem to be the problem. And since this isn't what I would have considered the "standard" PCut machine, I'm not sure if you can add a third pressure roller. If you bought it from USCutter, they should be able to help there. And an old ebay ad from USC was about the only thing I could find on this cutter. It sure looks like a PCut. Maybe a standard PCut pressure roller would fit? If so, you might be able to replace that fixed roller with a standard movable one.

As to why it doesn't track correectly any more... Well it could be a bad pressure roller. Does it do this with all vinyl or just the reflective? If it's just one roll, the vinyl may be thicker on one side than the other (odd chance of that though).

If this happens with all vinyl rolls, I would get in touch with USC and find out if a standard pressure roller would fit and try replacing one or both.

Hmmm, if one of your rollers is fixed, maybe it's pressure is adjustable? I think the MH had adjustable pressure. If so, it might be fixable that way but I wouldn't have any way of knowing. I think getting in touch with USC would be the way to go on this one. Without actually cutting, there's no reason why it wouldn't track unless something went defective...

I think you're right, I need to get with US Cutter (that is where I bought it). It would be awesome if I could replace the stationary wheel with a movable one. As for the different vinyl vs the reflective, no difference. Does it with both.

Thank you for your help. I kind of figured I'd have to go to Cutter but I was hoping it was something I could fix. Oh well.....

I believe it is heavier. My husband questions if the rollers are moving at the same pace. I have no idea how to check that! There are only two rollers on the machine (it's a 24" cut), the left one is stationary but I place the right one about the same distance from the edge as the stationary one. So, I guess I'm back to square one, huh?

The rubber rollers just apply pressure to hold the vinyl against the metal roller that runs the entire length of the cutter. The metal roller is solid so it has to move at the same speed.

Well okay then. I can't do anything about the problem I'm having. Either buy a new cutter or shut down the shop :(

Thanks anyway guys......

Well okay then. I can't do anything about the problem I'm having. Either buy a new cutter or shut down the shop :(

Thanks anyway guys......

You stated you bought the cutter in 2008 , you should have gotten your money's worth out of it a long time ago and upgraded. They are entry level cutters, they will not last forever...and not made for the endurance, like a higher end cutter such as a Graphtec or Roland.. Just like a tv anymore... disposable...and buy another. And if your running a shop, or business, a back up cutter, is a MUST..that is just part of being in business. 'cause if you are relying on a machine to make your living, you always need a back up plan. not wait til it fails. That is just good business planning. I have a great Graphtec FC7000-MK-75, which has never failed me in over 4 years, BUT it always could, it's a machine. And I still have a backup cutter. because my business supports me. It is my living. my 2c....

If you have a shop and are relying on one single cutter, then.....

I program for a living. I run 3 computers, two as backups with a forth in the wings just in case. I've had many computer failures but never missed a days work!

Anyway, back to your problem...

Don't give up yet. Do some primary inmvestigation first. The cutter used to work fine, so something has changed. Since we're only talking about the vinyl running through the machine and no cutting, then the only source of the problem can be on or both pressure roller or the main roller bar under them.

First, check that main roller bar. It is NOT a single piece of bar! Those knourled sections (usually black) are separate pieces. On many of the cutters (MH and PCut) the invidual sections are held tight by allen screws which are visible in holes on the bar. If they loosen up, the sections m,ay not hold tight. Simply check this with the cutter off and try moving the indiviidual sections with your fingers. If any section moves by itself, you've found your problem. I've read here in the forum where users have had this problem and a simple turn of an allen key has fixed it. That bar should feel and act like a single piece of metal. Any play in any section is a problem!

If that doesn't help, check the pressure rollers. The rubber wheels should spin freely when they are raised. Any appreciable tension on the wheel can slow down the movement of the vinyl. Then check the pressure. Lock them down and look at the rubber very closely with a good flashlight. Both wheels should compress the same amount. I suppose you could roughly test their pressure by using a piece of backing sheet under the roller while it's in the down position and trying to pull the sheet out (same as a heat press test). You should get the same resistance from both rollers. If not, maybe you've got a bad roller.

I would check these things before even calling USC. If you do find the problem, then that phone call could be for the replacement part instead of an hour's trouble-shooting...

If you have a shop and are relying on one single cutter, then.....

I program for a living. I run 3 computers, two as backups with a forth in the wings just in case. I've had many computer failures but never missed a days work!

I won't go into a lot of detail, but I live in a very small country town, population about 300, and I don't "make a living" with this. I may go months without a job. If I had a shop that was doing a good business I would have already updated my plotter and would have a back up.

Anyway, back to your problem...

Don't give up yet. Do some primary inmvestigation first. The cutter used to work fine, so something has changed. Since we're only talking about the vinyl running through the machine and no cutting, then the only source of the problem can be on or both pressure roller or the main roller bar under them.

First, check that main roller bar. It is NOT a single piece of bar! Those knourled sections (usually black) are separate pieces. On many of the cutters (MH and PCut) the invidual sections are held tight by allen screws which are visible in holes on the bar. If they loosen up, the sections m,ay not hold tight. Simply check this with the cutter off and try moving the indiviidual sections with your fingers. If any section moves by itself, you've found your problem. I've read here in the forum where users have had this problem and a simple turn of an allen key has fixed it. That bar should feel and act like a single piece of metal. Any play in any section is a problem!

I never thought of that! When the wheels are down normally trying to roll the bar is difficult but I noticed every once in awhile I can roll it freely. That kind of baffled me but I didn't think too much of it. That definitely bears checking into. I thought it was a single bar.

If that doesn't help, check the pressure rollers. The rubber wheels should spin freely when they are raised. Any appreciable tension on the wheel can slow down the movement of the vinyl. Then check the pressure. Lock them down and look at the rubber very closely with a good flashlight. Both wheels should compress the same amount. I suppose you could roughly test their pressure by using a piece of backing sheet under the roller while it's in the down position and trying to pull the sheet out (same as a heat press test). You should get the same resistance from both rollers. If not, maybe you've got a bad roller.

I will check the wheels again. I'm not even sure how you would go about replacing them unless you actually open up the unit. I couldn't see any set screws, screws, etc to tighten them or remove them. I checked it out yesterday and if I keep the length at around 30 to 50 inches it's okay, go longer and it starts messing up.

I would check these things before even calling USC. If you do find the problem, then that phone call could be for the replacement part instead of an hour's trouble-shooting...

I'm calling them this morning but I'll check all of this before I call. Maybe they can get me a manual so we can get inside to make repairs and/or replacements. Thank you so much for the additional information. I am hoping armed with this I can get my job done. Sure hate to turn it back to him, this could give my little business a boost. Here's hoping :thumbsup: