Hoss

New MH 721-MK2 cutting is not correct

I got a new MH 721-MK2 and set it up (Windows 7 64bit, USB) last weekend and put the pen adapter in it and was drawing images without issue (Signblazer Elements). I printed at least 20 times, all perfect. When I was done I put the cover on it and turned it off, unplugged the USB (needed it for my laser printer).

So today I got my first vinyl so I took the cover off, plugged in the USB cable and turned it on. I loaded up the vinyl and installed the blade adapter (after setting its depth on scrap vinyl).

However, almost every "print" I made today was skewed and the weed box was cut right through the image. So I put the pen back on and have been trying lots of combinations of plugging in USB, power up, rebooting PC, different images, different image sizes, and even SignCut Pro. Every once and awhile, it will do a correct cut,just once, randomly.

The only thing I did (as far as the cutter/software go) since the first time and this time was installing SignCut Pro (but never tried it out until I started having the problems, just to see if it worked correctly). Don't know if that could have an effect on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Well, shortly after posting this, I kept messing with it and got shocked when I touched one of the screws on the cutter. When I did, I heard a motor or something inside twitch or something. I remember when setting it up, the importance of putting on the grounding wire from the stand to the cutter.

So I decided to search about static on the forum and found some similar cutting issues. So I tried a piece of paper and low and behold, every "cut" was perfect. So I cut off a piece of vinyl and did 3 cuts, all perfect (something another thread said to try).

I checked continuity between the stand and the cutter and the grounding wire is connecting them correctly. But it seems the static from the vinyl is still causing an issue when I have a roll on the stands rollers.

What else should I do to better ground the vinyl/stand/cutter/whatever?

Where is your cutter sitting? On a carpeted surface?

The dryer sheets and anti-stat spray are worth experimenting with.

Those MH units are notorious for static buildup which cause havoc with the data communication.

The rollers on the stand are painted and the ends rest in plastic holders, isolating them from the stand. I have a feeling this is the (or one of the) issues with this cutter. I read about someone that left a bare copper wire connected to the top of the cutter, draped across the roll. I think I'll try that.

I also read about the dryer sheets, will try that too, and pick up some anti static spray. I'm on a vinyl floor... https://www.dropbox.com/s/qx86z8m2qbpbxvn/2012-10-13%2012.57.58.jpg

Thanks!

You dont get a ruler.. but you get a sticker saying its the cheap-o model.. man now I feel jipped. Us SC guys dont have no fancy schmancy USC sticker on our machines, at least I dont :P

Don't be a hater! You can cut your own fancy schmancy sticker for your "next one up" from cheap-o model. :D

• Like 1

The rollers on the stand are painted and the ends rest in plastic holders, isolating them from the stand. I have a feeling this is the (or one of the) issues with this cutter. I read about someone that left a bare copper wire connected to the top of the cutter, draped across the roll. I think I'll try that.

I also read about the dryer sheets, will try that too, and pick up some anti static spray. I'm on a vinyl floor... https://www.dropbox....%2012.57.58.jpg

Thanks!

I had this problem after I first bought my MH871 , I was using the dryer sheets on the cutter and in the vinyl rolls which worked until winter time as the house had less humidity . I had the cutter grounded to the stand and took it a next step further and grounded it to an outlet box , screw that hold the cover on [copper water pipe will work too ] . Been working great since then , about 2 years now .