kingmg

thinking of upgrading to the MH871

thinking of upgrading to the MH 871 bundle on ebay. I am using a cricut now and do all my work in make the cut...love that program. Wondered if you can use a mat and put the vinyl on with this cutter like you do the cricut. I have lots of small pieces of vinyl. Also working on redoing my office which this cutter will be in and wondered how tall the cutter sits when on the stand. I want to be sure i keep the countertop high enough so I can slide this under when not in use. Also does this cut alot better than the cricut? I see it is best to run through a serial port, Is that just a special cord to use rather and the usb, do most computers have the port for that? Thanks for any input.

Mary

• Like 1

I have the MH-721-mk2 it works great once you get it set up. The cons are it is kind of loud and slow compared to the high end machines, But for the price and if not going to be a full time sign business it should serve you well.

I also have this machine MH871. Its been good to me and I don't have complaints about it. The serial port is something extra to buy aside from the cutter itself (not sure if it comes in the bundle you're talking about or not). I do have it and it just connects to a usb port on your computer.

I have a mh721 and mh1351. Love both. I recommend buying a usb serial adapter. Like $20 or so. It connects usb to computer then you hook the cable to it and to the machine. Just something ive been told on here when it had some issues. Cleared it right up. I just recommend it right away so you dont risk wasting material at some point.

• Like 1

To actually answer some of your questions, yes you can use the carrier sheets to cut paper on the MH. Never used a cricut so I don't know how it compares to the MH. And as you probably already know, make the cut will work with the MH, awesome software too. As for the serial adapter, it caused me a lot of issues. For me (and appears to be only me) USB is flawless. I've cut some huge files no problem from USB only on my laptop, may be I'm lucky, although I believe it's all in the correct setup.

Hi mary, Does your computer have a serial port? Just look at the back and locate it.

I also ran the MH in my sign store from a laptop with USB and it was OK, but I had to be very careful to eliminate the static buildup (using dryer sheets, and absolutely making sure the cutter was grounded to the stand).

If your office has carpeting, you are begging for trouble.

Thanks so much for all your help...so much appreciated. Actually we will be taking up the carpet and refinishing the hardwood floor we covered up so that should help with the static electricity. I cricut is sortof loud so I am used to that and not really fast. I am just having fun cutting vinyl right now...mostly doing wine glasses and ceramic tiles. One craft show a year just so my 12 year old daughter has some where to put the jewelry she makes so I stick a few things there too. I did a few other cuts for family but haven't made much $$ so didn't want to go big right now. Glad I can use the carrier sheets cause I get lucky and found a sign shop that gives me scraps when i need them so i just buy my main colors and he gives me other shades that I don't use much. I don't see a serial port in the back of the computer...just usbs so I will get the cable for serial to usb. Again thanks so much for your responses, it is so much appreciated!!!

Mary

If the MH is any loud as my Laserpoint was with it's stepper motor, think hair dryer on low, mixed with a noisy inkjet printer.

If you're thinking about making a business or stepping up the hobby- I would look at a slightly higher end model just for the sake of quality and details- The copam isn't much more and gets great reviews....

I started with a laserpoint which is a lot like the MH, only has a few more bells and whistles. I picked up a graphtec and found i never touched the old one, so I sold it because the speed and quality, as well as detail just couldn't compare. Just saying to explore your options and spend within what you're looking to do.

Thanks so much...I will look into the higher model. The deal they have on ebay with the mh and all the extras is such a good buy, but not sure if i need all the things with it.