ericlecarde

Duplicate paths in Illustrator image?

I posted a similar question in the Copam area but thought this location makes more sense now.

When I create an image with illustrator it has duplicate paths causing the signcut pro to cut twice for every line on the image. I don't know how this happens since I'm using the Live trace option and then saving it. I don't see how I'm accidently creating duplicate paths. How would you resolve this issue? Thanks.

I found these answers elsewhere on the web...... but it may help you: A couple of answers:

This is a manual process; but it may help.

When you select all of the lines in the Illustrator doc; do they all have the same color value? I ask because In Illustrator; if you select a path that you know is a duplicate, you can then use the “Select > Same > Stroke Color” and eliminate that way.

The other way is for you to create a new layer, turn the eyeball off on it, then keep selecting individual lines and moving their layer dot to the new layer one at a time. You can always undo if you move something that you need; but with the eyeball off on the new layer, each line will disappear when it gets its layer moved. Keep doing that until you have only one set of lines left.

When you are down to the last line for any position, select it and lock it (command-2). You should end up with one set of lines all locked on your live layer. Then you can throw away the layer you created for the duplicates and unlock.

Or select the topmost stroke for each line and throw them all on another layer; should end you up with one set of lines.

There are a bunch of ways to do this in Illustrator manually that should not take you very long.

2nd DIFFERENT ANSWER

Select all, change stroke colors (and fills if you have any) to CMYK white, then change the blending mode to "difference" in the transparency palette, making sure the opacity is 100%. This should hide all of the unique objects and show the duplicates in black. Then revert the document and delete the duplicates. You should probably do Object > Unlock All first, and also change all stroke weights to something like 10 points so they are more visible.

To detect an odd number of identical objects, you should also turn on the overprint attribute for all strokes and fills.

• Like 1

You are probably not having a color problem. When you live trace illustrator creates an object in each hole. I am betting thats what your getting. Look in the layers panel and scroll down and look for objects with no apparent color. Click on it to highlight where it is on your design and you can tell if its a hole or not. Your cutter is going to think this is something that needs cut out and it will go over it again. I use CS5 version of AI not sure what one you're working with but it should be similar. I have had this problem when using the merge tab in the pathfinder menu.

In illustrator, open up your layers window...I use CS6.  Anyway, in the layers window after doing a trace, it should only have one layer.  If you click on the arrow to expand that layer into group, then expand that group, you'll see all the individual parts of the vector.  Delete any that have no picture in the little window.  This should eliminate your duplicate paths.

gallery_25773_143_45285.jpg

In illustrator, open up your layers window...I use CS6.  Anyway, in the layers window after doing a trace, it should only have one layer.  If you click on the arrow to expand that layer into group, then expand that group, you'll see all the individual parts of the vector.  Delete any that have no picture in the little window.  This should eliminate your duplicate paths.

gallery_25773_143_45285.jpg

not always the right thing to do. If they are white letters or shapes on a dark background that is how they'll show up in that panel.

OP, be sure first that all your strokes are converted to outlines.you may have to then remove the center of that area and then move the solid object top the back as not to cover up anything. Also make use of your pathfinder menu as well. How much experience do you have with AI? Theres a ton of info and tutorials online that will show you how to unlock all it has to offer. I'm self taught and pretty good (at least I think so) but am always learning new things about it which make me much more proficient in the long run. A lot of times i find myself slapping my forehead and saying "I could have been doing this all along!" when I find a new trick/shortcut.

not always the right thing to do. If they are white letters or shapes on a dark background that is how they'll show up in that panel.

OP, be sure first that all your strokes are converted to outlines.you may have to then remove the center of that area and then move the solid object top the back as not to cover up anything. Also make use of your pathfinder menu as well. How much experience do you have with AI? Theres a ton of info and tutorials online that will show you how to unlock all it has to offer. I'm self taught and pretty good (at least I think so) but am always learning new things about it which make me much more proficient in the long run. A lot of times i find myself slapping my forehead and saying "I could have been doing this all along!" when I find a new trick/shortcut.

True, I neglected to mention that.  I never use a colored background so I don't have that issue.