piscespokerbrat

1st cuts for my truck...

Well.... here is what I did to my truck! Thoughts? Opinions? Questions? Feedback??

I have 2 of hubcaps. I just need to get 2 more. And, I plan on something for the hood, maybe some ornate pin striping on the mirrors, pillars, rear window.. haven't gotten that far in the thought process...

Yes, if you have owned a Blazer like this one, you know the luggage rack is gone. I like the cleaner look up top. Also, I painted the mirrors. I like them 2 tone. And lastly, you will notice the tail lights are not US spec 3 bulb lights. They are the UK Blazer 4 bulb spec lights (slight wiring modifications needed).

20121014171500166085590.jpg

20121014171529134373086.jpg

20121014171542107349757.jpg

OK, here's my 2-cents' worth.

1. For some reason, the side window lettering seems tilted.

The reason for that is you used the edge of the top of the window as a guide, instead of using the ground plane (bubble level)

2. The cup on the back with wings seems to be a logo, but the doors have a different cup (and with beans, not liquid in it)

3. The front doors have LOTS of square footage, but you used a very thin font, and spread it out, so there is way too much negative space and the message seems feeble, without a strong impact.

4. Who uses "WWW" anymore? What is this, 1993? *wink*

Also, you should add the QR code.

5. I would prefer the coffee cups to be placed on the rear quarter-panels under those windows with the multi-layer lettering, instead of being on the passenger doors (again, they should be the winged liquid & aroma version, get rid of those beans)

6. Hard to see in the pix, but are you using BROWN vinyl for the coffee in the cup? It should be.

Lastly, the website itself is a MLM advertisment, and I cannot understand how you would benefit from people visiting that site.

(Not to mention the Vimeo video doesn't display)

• Like 1

OK, here's my 2-cents' worth.

1. For some reason, the side window lettering seems tilted.

The reason for that is you used the edge of the top of the window as a guide, instead of using the ground plane (bubble level)

2. The cup on the back with wings seems to be a logo, but the doors have a different cup (and with beans, not liquid in it)

3. The front doors have LOTS of square footage, but you used a very thin font, and spread it out, so there is way too much negative space and the message seems feeble, without a strong impact.

4. Who uses "WWW" anymore? What is this, 1993? *wink*

Also, you should add the QR code.

5. I would prefer the coffee cups to be placed on the rear quarter-panels under those windows with the multi-layer lettering, instead of being on the passenger doors (again, they should be the winged liquid & aroma version, get rid of those beans)

6. Hard to see in the pix, but are you using BROWN vinyl for the coffee in the cup? It should be.

Lastly, the website itself is a MLM advertisment, and I cannot understand how you would benefit from people visiting that site.

(Not to mention the Vimeo video doesn't display)

I appreciate your (VERY) honest and brutal feedback. I will answer in order you answered..

1) Your right, I used the top of the window as a guide. For some odd reason, the back of my window measures 19" and the front measures out at 19.5". So, I thought keeping in like with the top could work.

2) Correct, I thought the cup and sacuer would be a good visual trigger... I was told that I should keep the same logo all over the truck...

3) MIxed thoughts still.. thats my coffee company's motto and I thought that could be powerful to use... I dunno..

4) I forgot about the QR code... I'll look up how to make one of those! As far as the www goes... I figured just in case..

5) I wasnt sure what to put on the quarters... I was thinking Coffee, Tea, Hot Choc so people know I have more than just coffee...

6) I used black vinyl for the logos.. after all.. isnt that why coffee can be drunk black??

The video at the site shows the company. Your correct in that I wont benefit from that. I have a website I am buidling for my domain (coffeepayscash), its just not up. So in the meantime, I am just using a redirect. The video plays just fine for me.... wow.. I feel kinda shitty now.. hmmmmm...

Yes, first thing I noticed, was the beans in the cup.. just not right for coffee,,, You need a steaming cup there.

Yes, first thing I noticed, was the beans in the cup.. just not right for coffee,,, You need a steaming cup there.

I will see what I got for steaming cups.. thank you!

Jeremy the layered vinyl looks good tho a little askew but it is a learning thing the first several installs i did was not perfect and i redone more than one . The best way to get an idea about spacing and layout ( at least for me ) is to look at a few professional produced items of signage cars , signs , banners etc and get a good feel for layout and spacing and there are a couple programs that let you actualy impose your artwork and graphics on a digital photo that way you and your customer will have a idea before installing much easier to change the design before it is cut . Still great for a first time .

Dan

• Like 3

Thanks Dan.. I contemplated using RapidTac (sp?) and doing a wet install on the glass... but I didnt.. and it shows I know...

Mz Skeeter, thanks I will check out those links you posted up! I have a vector pack I got where I found those 2 graphics I used..

I think you did a great job . the www. i see still see that in Reno so its all just a matter of opinion us sign guys and gals are always the worst critics but most of the people wont notice or shouldn't notice the letters going up hill or downhill .. maybe you could toss something next to the letters to take your eye away from it all around you did a great job.. the mug with the beans just need a steaming cup. I still think you did a great job man... first time lettering we are not perfect .. i am sure people can find flaws in my work to ... Great job bro

i was wondering could you just pull the beans off ? then just add the steam to it ?? that's a idear cause i like the cup and the saucer

I think what I am going to do is cut the wings off of the back graphic, then cut the mug and beans off the side graphic and blend them together. That way, I have the same mug with steam on the saucer. I hope that makes sense :P But, thank you Jeromy for your comments.

Rock on Mz Skeeter! I just made that in like 5 mnutes flat :-) Thanks! Now, the next thing is, where to put it, on the quarters and leave the doors blank.. or ? Hmmm decision decisions :-)

Now we're cooking!

Like the new cup/saucer design, it's a keeper. (maybe reduce the saucer diameter just slightly)

Still think the coffee should be dark brown. (Blazer #128)

Regarding my comment #3 -- I didn't mean the "message" (the words) had no impact, I meant the visual itself wasn't strong enough.

Too lightweight for that large empty space on the door.

By the way, any off-kilter text is easily recognizable by the human eye, even if it's very very slight.

Try it sometime, you can veer off the natural horizon by just an 1/8" and the eyes will see the tilt.

(My eyes, accustomed to things being straight, can notice off-line texts with as little as 1/16" difference)

post-21408-0-21239600-1350282251.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, S&D was right on the money with all points.

The first thing I noticed was the tilt on the back side windows.

It's hard to "do" straight on most vehicles....

they aren't created with straight lines.

The coffee cup logo could be bolder....it seems too lightweight...

play with the nodes and see if you can make the outlines thicker

which will make it stand out better.

Plus, just a thought, I seldom see anyone using a cup & saucer

except at a restaurant... most people use mugs now.

BUT, it may not work using a mug ..... you could try it and see.

The cup & saucer is kind of universal...so just making it more

substantial may be what is needed.

The mix of fonts doesn't blend well together....use fewer fonts....

and again, stay away from narrow-fine fonts. Remember, you

want people to READ this from maybe 30-50 feet away and

while you are moving. Make it easy to read.

Drop the "www" for the most part it is unnecessary now and the

website is easier to read-recognize-remember without it.

Don't feel bad...feel lucky to have all these FREE advisors!

Sue2

• Like 1

Ok thoughts before I forget them... I 'bubble level' checked the top line I used to line the window text.. oops NOT level at all! The bottom stays more true than top all the way across. The text on the door was only 2 1/4" tall.. OOPS.. all the other text is 3" tall except for the Got Coffee which is 3.5" tall. And, I was thinking that there are still some websites out there, not to mention old people, that need the WWW in the website. I also got my QR code generated! Ok next thought.. since the window measures 19.5" in front and 19" in back, should I go half on both then put a piece of painters tape horizontal to the middle to line the text?

That brings me to my next question.. which vinyl is printable on? I have an Epson Workforce 645 that I am putting a CIS kit on, and I want to be able to print everything from T-Shirt transfers, to bumper stickers, to even decals! Advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ok catching up on the comments.. S & D.. nice idea, thanks for taking the time to think of that. I appreciate your and everyones feedback here. That is after all WHY I am here to not only advise and get advice. I like the box idea. Ornate seems to come to mind.

Sue, I love my panel of advisors! :D I have 2 fonts used. One is the Got Milk font you see on TV (for the got coffee on the back window, and windshield when I cut it.. lol), and the other is called Penumbra Half Serif. I will see what is out there for mugs, but I have to say that I like cup and saucer idea because to me it feels more formal like drinking my coffee should make you feel rich since rich people probably use cups and saucers.. lol

Ok here is what I did, I measured the middle of the glass, layed the tape, then 'bubble level' checked and the top of the tape is level. The text of course is not level to the tape, so while I wait for replys I am going to start re-cutting vinyl.....

20121015095521109550906.jpg

What you all think of this??? I taped it to my door, and it has great visibility to the naked eye at 25' ........

20121015134126121781742.jpg

I can dig it.

Thanks Dan.. I contemplated using RapidTac (sp?) and doing a wet install on the glass... but I didnt.. and it shows I know...

Mz Skeeter, thanks I will check out those links you posted up! I have a vector pack I got where I found those 2 graphics I used..

. if you use rapidtac this time of year I would suggest rapid tac 2 or it will be a bear getting it to stick on cold glass

Dan

. My self I would probably went with a bolder font .

I would thicken up the lettering as well as the border a little

Maybe I am missing something, but how is using a bubble level on a car going to help? Your image will only be as level as the car is level.

Maybe I am missing something, but how is using a bubble level on a car going to help? Your image will only be as level as the car is level.

I am so sorry that I am not perfect and that I am an idiot!!!!!