lonestarcountrymusic

.eps bad format?

Not sure where to put this but here it goes.

I use Inkscape to trace my images and have for a while. Recently any *.eps i create in Inkscape will not open in Roland Cutstudio. Every time i try to import it it claims its a bad format.

any idea why this is happening? I have closed CutStudio and reopened it i have also restarted the computer, nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Could be the file is actually corrupt. Could be any number of things that might cause it. Do you have it backed up some where? Or can you re-create the eps?

You could also upload an example here for others to take a look at. May be you're saving in a format that is not compatible?

Well we can'y understand it either because we can't see the graphic... Maybe you changed the format by mistake? maybe you updated the software and a different (newer) format is now the default? No way for us to tell...

That seems to settle one important point. There's nothing wrong with your file!

I loaded this file into both SB and Corel X3 with no problems. If anything would complain, it would be SB. So you'd now have to look at your Cutstudio for problems. The standard recommendations are to re-install the software. It may come to that?

You said that recently it can not load your eps files. What about older files back when it worked? Will it load those or will it not load any eps files now. That would be a good clue.

If you just need to cut, you could install SB which should handle the cutting just fine. Other than that, you'll have to figure out what's wrong with Cutstudio and since I have never used it, can't help much. But you could try a re-install.

And for the heck of it, I'm attaching your graphic. It's been imported into Corel and then exported back out. This is the format I use with everything with no problems. It shouldn't make a difference but who knows?

batman-begins-logo2.eps

You've got an odd problem. Unfortunately, there's many variations of the "eps" file format. Some of them subtle and some obvios, like being binary instead of ASCII. Generally, if SB can open an EPS, anything else should be able to also.

It's tuff not being able to see all this as it happens... I would say you've probably ruled out a Cut Studio problem since it will open an SB eps file. But there can still be some odd incomptabilty between your version of Inkscape and CutStudio.

So, what version of Inkscape are you running? Have you recently upgraded it? I have version 0.48-1 here and have had no problems (other than forgetting how to import eps into it). I rarely use it... But with both Inkscape and Corel X3, I save the eps as "Postscript Level 2" and have had no problems. I also don't use Cut Studio so I can't help there. I can't imagine why your file won't import into Cut Studio and yet does into SB? But double check the Postscript version to make sure it is Level 2.

Beyond this, either someone else will have to come up with some ideas or you'll have to find Cut Studio specific help somewhere?

Good luck with it!