Gear Head

USCUTTER SC Setup ?

Just got my USCUTTER 34" SC setup and I'm having issues with the vinyl getting pulled up when cutting. The graphic is pretty detailed. I'm cutting it out at 5" tall.

I'm using Greenstar vinyl and some Oracal 651. What settings should I run? Speed, Pressure, Blade depth.

I searched but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks ahead of time.

post-23816-0-94808900-1348447350.jpg

Can you post a pic of the vinyl and maybe the EPS?

What speed and pressure are you using?

800 mm/s at 12 g

Tried 100 mm/s at 1 g with same results.

This is a 3" tall.

post-23816-0-49157200-1348452536.jpg

Have you shortened up the length of your blade? Should barely see the tip. Also make sure it is clean, and no adhesive on it.,,

• Like 1

I have it at half a credit card's thickness. It's clean until it start cutting then it starts to pick up vinyl sometimes. Picture posted in previous post.

Here is how to really check it.. Take the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut a piece of the scrap vinyl you will be cutting, Should only cut the vinyl, and barely see a mark on paper backing, adjust to get there. With holder back in machine, adjust the force to get the same results. That's what really works.

• Like 1

top53

That's what I used to setup the machine. I think it's just to get you rolling. Now I just need to fine tune it.

I've been messing with it a little more. Set the blade to wear I can barely see it. 800 mm/s at 2gs. Cutting it at 5" tall. Couple of the teeth details are coming up but that's about it. Going to mess with it a little more.

Yes there is a limit to the size that can be cut. I have found letters smaller than about 1/2" are difficult to weed. I always run my machine at 200mm/s and about 60g pressure with just barely any blade sticking out. The blade sticking out 1/2 of a credit card thickness is to much blade. Make sure the vinyl is tracking as straight as possible (that is still tough for me to get right).

I found Oracal 651 to weed better than Greenstar.

Make sure the blade does not have ANY vinyl adhesive glue on it.

Where did you get the graphic from? Make sure the nodes are as few as possible. I converted a few images to .eps via the Inkscape program and found I had to spend a couple hours editing the nodes to get the image into optimal cutting shape. Once I tweaked the nodes the image cut much cleaner and it weeded easier.

The biggest issue with cutting smaller letters and graphics is not whether or not the cutter can do it, it's whether or not you can weed the image and not have the vinyl shift on the backing paper as you weed.

ok, so evidently my blade is out too much but looks barely out. I have my spd on 300 and prs to 2 g. and it still cuts too deep into backing. Can someone explain the pressure setting. I was assuming that the more pressure ( 12 g ) would make it worse but what i am reading here is to increase from 2g TO 12g. Trying to understand !!!

If the blade is out more than the thickness of the vinyl , it will cut into the backing paper with almost any amount of pressure . When I started , I tried to adjust pressure because I had lessened the blade exposure several times alread . I was all over the place especially when changing colors as it seems there s a difference . I do the manual test that Skeeter typed & press really hard . I use 120 grams of pressure on new blaeds & up it some as they dull . I get a smudge on white vinyl as I cut , from the blade holder & a shiny bottom of the blade holder . I have a Copam & it has grams of pressure settings . I think your cutter with a stepper motor can cut that small ... How the nodes are laided out is more critical than the size IMO . I agree weeding is more of the problem :) . I think the servo motors are mainly benificial on large decals that have large radius with few nodes . Check your offset , make sure your blade is sharp ( try a new blade just in case your blade got chipped etc ) , make sure you have not cut thru the backing paper into your cutting strip . It takes some fine tuning with certain vinyls & you will learn what to do with very thin vinyl like cast , calendar vinyl which is thicker & reflective which is thicker & harder .