Sign in to follow this  
inkbot

SC or laserpointII?

well after talking to a tech, he basically told me to get the SC cause the contour cutting was pretty much the same, the ;laserpointII is the SC inside of a TC body. So i wen twith the SC and saved a few doll hairs, and got a bigger machine.

The SC just arrived, im in the process of building the stand right now... already a MUCH higher quality stand and more heavy duty than that POS i got from signwarehouse!

Let us know how it turns out. My SC machine cuts very very well except for the starting point of each cut. It makes a tiny curved cut "scallop" before starting a cut. At the end of the cut it cuts to where the tiny scallop is but since the scallop is curved there is a tiny bit of uncut vinyl. I am using USB and getting a Keyspan adapter in a few days to try.

I'm going to look through my piles of stuff and see if I can find a sheet of vinyl I cut when I first got my cutter to see if there is any tiny scallops.

-Scott

Don't forget to ground the machine to the stand.

Also, here's a few threads with details about making a media-catch-basket.

Well worth it.

and

thanks for those! So today was the first day i have had the time to setup and cut. It took me a while to get everything going, and im not really into this signblazer but it cut well... my old plotter i could cut straight from AI, do you know if there is a way i can do the with this? Or is there better sign software out there? I know it will take me a bit more messing around to get this cutting perfectly well, but i am excited to finally get to it!

Hey inkbot, how'd it turn out for you? I'm in the same predicament between the SC and LaserPoint II. I like the idea of getting a 34" SC for $210 less than a 31.5" LaserPoint II. I see myself doing contour cutting in the future but right now I'm mainly looking to do vinyl transfer and logo's plus small banners. I, too, screen print and am looking to expand my services.

You can do contour cutting with the SC and Flexistarter10/with contour cutting.  Flexistarter10 runs about $129.-139 on EBAY  You don't need a cutter with a laser to do contour cutting.

Listen to Mz Skeeter. She says, "Get the best you can afford".

Allow me to say what I've learned over the the decades; "Don't save a penny that loses a dollar". 

I'm not so much looking to 'save a penny". But if both plotters are so close in quality and functionality than why not save 21,000 pennies ;D It's like buying a car. If there are 2 models you are interested in and one comes with heated seats and costs $1100 more than the one without it comes down to practicality for me. Not all things that cost more are better than less expensive ones. Do I need expensive Levi jeans when I can get good quality Wrangler jeans for much less? Not me.

Both models claim to do contour cutting. Why would I need to buy Flexitarter10? I have CorelDRAW X5 if that's pertinent info.

Thanks for your input.

Does your Corel drawx5  have the interactive contour cuttting function, to send to the vinyl cutter, to be able to jog your vinyl cutter to each registration mark and record it and save the measurements so your vinyl cutter can read it and cut it?    Corel is not cutting software. Flexistarter10 is.

I also sent you a PM  with a Flexistarter10 ad. Scroll down thru the ad. Just trying to give you more options, not make a sale. 

I hear there is an add-on for Corel for some plotters. Both the SC and Laserpoint II come with Sure Cuts Alot Pro. I understand I could use Corel to create the artwork and then import it to SCAL Pro to send to plotter. What's the advantage of Flexi? But trying to stay on track, is the Laserpoint II much better, if at all, than the SC? I do appreciate the link for the Flexi. Can't really have too much info and resources : )

according to USCUTTER is it.  Laserpointer 11 is a combo of the SC and  the TC.  The TC  is a higher end cutter. BOTH cutters made by Liyu.  From USCUTTER website below.

USCutter LaserPoint II Vinyl Cutter w/ Sure Cuts A Lot Pro Design & Cut Software

USCutter is proud to present the new LaserPoint II - our most revolutionary cutting plotter yet! By combining the best features of two of our most popular cutters (the SC and TC), we have come up with the LaserPoint II. These amazing features include a superior motherboard and easy installation combined with a well-built, solid, robust frame. This new cutter has all the features that our customers have been asking for.

• Laser Registration feature - allows contour cutting around graphics.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
  • Toll-Free Phone Support - a FREE Lifetime support

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.   Mz Skeeter..

Honestly, if you can afford it, buy a Graphtec and don't look back.  You will be there eventually, if your going to run a business.  that's my 2c ;D

I can't afford a Graphtec, Roland or any other pro plotter yet. I'm not getting into the sign business but just to supplement my screen printing and be able to offer more services. Maybe in the future I can afford one and have the need for a workhorse plotter but I'm entry level, lol.

Sign business? I have run an EBAY store for going on 7 years. I have never made a sign.LOL  That is not my niche'.  All vinyl decals, and stripe sets .  Even up to 16 ft.long.  I can cut perfect stripes the first time.   I have already had a value cutter, I know what they are like. That is why I own the machine I have.

Like I said,  Good Luck with your venture. ;D

So you personally have no reccomendation between a SC or Laserpoint II? No input about either one and which may be my better option?

As always stated,  buy the BEST you can afford.  Every model vinyl cutter is a step up from another. and the servo motors are much better than stepper motors.

Ok, I called USCutter again. Looks like I'll be getting the SC since contour cutting will not be my focus but secondary. They said if contour cutting was my main objective I should get the Laserpoint II though.

Just to follow up. I received the SC a few months ago. Been awesome. Haven't done contour cutting yet however. It's already paid for itself. I have no regret buying the SC and haven't had the need for a "professional" plotter yet. The SC has cut some fine detail and has done a good job tracking as well. I do mainly use it to cut numbers and names for sport apparel. But have done some sign vinyl as well. Even did some intricate lines on glitter vinyl for a shirt for my daughter.