Sign in to follow this  
inkbot

SC or laserpointII?

So i recently bought a R-seriesII from sighwarehouse.... big mistake! it came to my house and did not work... they overnighted me parts, still not working, so i asked for a refund... after jumping through hoops they finally said yes to a full refund and they paid for the shipping back... well i need a plotter for my business. i was running a mimaki CG60st but it will not work with windows 7 and was tired of using two computers. So here i am trying to figure out if i should save more money and get the LaserpointII or just get the SC... what do you guys think? is the Laserpoint really worth the extra $$

no one has an opinion on this?

Laserpoint11 just recently out... I have not seen any feedback on it at all.

As always, buy the best you can afford.

My choice would be a Graphtec hands down. If not, the Copam would be my choice. If you can't afford the Graphtec.

• Like 2

I got the LaserPoint a few years ago.....it does the job.

But now I'm saving my shekels for a Graphtec.

Like Mz S said, get the best you can afford.

Get the Graphtec if you can.

Sue2

I got the LaserPoint a few years ago.....it does the job.

But now I'm saving my shekels for a Graphtec.

Like Mz S said, get the best you can afford.

Get the Graphtec if you can.

Sue2

Sue,, this is a different laserpointer, Called laserpointer11 , It has the best features of the SC and TC, at least that is what ad says..

http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/product/product_id/2365/category_id/3/product_name/USCutter+LaserPoint+II+Vinyl+Cutting+Plotter+

Sue,, this is a different laserpointer, Called laserpointer11 , It has the best features of the SC and TC, at least that is what ad says..

http://www.uscutter....utting+Plotter+

Yes, looks like they have made some needed upgrades.

The third pinch roller and finer grit rollers are really needed.

Job Memory, on the move adjustment of cutting force and

speed are nice additions.

A good entry level if you can't afford the Copam, Graphtec or Roland.

BUT be warned...you WILL want to upgrade as you get more business.

Again, buy the best you can afford.

Be aware that you will probably want to upgrade within 1 year.

Sue2

The SC is my primary unit within a small retail sign store, but I would not give it a superlative rating for a number of reasons.

I detest the stepper motor which "jogs" along.

The noise level is quieter than my MH machine (which the SC replaced) but I've heard some high-end cutters in operation and they're virtually silent.

The tracking is OK, but tricky to get set right.

And there was no option for a media basket, I had to construct my own.

Then there was the issue with the pinch roller that was not stopping in the right place (I had to drill a new hole and re-seat the screw myself, since the factory failed to locate it correctly)

I really can't put my finger on it, there's nothing specifically WRONG with the SC, and I'm making signs without issues, but I would trade-in my SC for the LPII in a New York minute.

well, i'm still pretty indecisive, and also getting impatient waiting for my refund from signwarehouse... i'm leaning more toward the laserpoint II however, since i own a screen printing company i have the ability to print stickers. Well that contour cut option sounds kinda nice, and might make for a nice upgrade package to stickers. Now i know both of them have the ability to do contour cutting, howevert the laserpoint II is the only one supported. For this reason alone im leaning toward the LPII, i'm just hoping i make the right decision... it ultimately comes down to which one will cut the best. Honestly i don't care about speed or noise, my old mimaki had to cut at a slow pace or it wouldn't cut well, and was loud. I just need to be able to do somewhat small graphics (.5" letters) that will cut and allow me to weed easy.

The 31" unit with the media basket is $650, and in my humble opinion, that's probably the best deal in the United States for anyone who wants to get the highest value among all the low-end cutters.

Do one or two jobs, and the thing is paid for.

Your decision seems easy enough, if you can spring for $650.

What is the issue with your mimaki CG60st and Windows 7? If it's software, I would keep your existing cutter and get software that will run on Win 7. Your existng cutter looks like a much better machine (servo vs stepper motors) than either of them.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7ihjNGNQSm0A4BRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbjlzcTIyBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTEEY29sbwNhYzIEdnRpZANZUzcwXzg4/SIG=11n4niqjf/EXP=1348707555/**http%3a//www.frweb.it/sale/mimaki.pdf

But it has serial port connectivity too. I wouldn't think you would need a driver for that. The UK version of SignBlazer supports it too.

trust me i have tried everything, even emailed mimiaki they pretty much told me i was outa luck... i sold it already anyway... it really wasn't that great honestly, it had many glitches, and would freak out sometimes just cutting whatever it wanted.

Well then, you're gonna have to cough up $650, and bring in the LPII as your workhorse.

I doubt you'll regret that.

I don't know. I started with a PCut that had stepper motors. My new GCC has servo motors I will never go back. So much quieter and more accurate. You may want your mimiaki back.

so i guess this goes back to my first question, since i talked to a tech, he said the LPII is more cause they offer support for the contour cutting... im not really way into being able to do that, i know the SC is capable of doing it, so is the extra money worth it just for that?

I would say if you don't plan on contour cutting in the future, don't spend the extra money. Get the SC. In my opinion, they are both about the same quality machine.

well see thats the thing.. the SC does do contour cutting... have any of you guys messed with contour cutting on the SC? its not something i have ever offered for my clients, but seeing that i do screen print vinyl stickers offering this might be something my future could hold. If the SC can do it then i dont see why i should spend the money for another machine that has the ability to add a catch basket...

It so happens that my SC came with a disc that provides a full tutorial on the contour cutting aspect.

I didn't watch it, but from my understanding of the process, all you are doing is creating crosshair points on the printed vinyl and letting the laser hit those targets to get it lined up to cut.

As for the catch-basket, I just assembled my own & it was not that difficult, following the example of someone who posted in these forums about how it was constructed.

I just think the LPII is a more robust unit, from what I'm viewing on the USCUTTER website and their comparison video.

thanks! i think that helped me out a bit, when i was talking on the phone with a sales rep, they made it seem that the SC and the LPII were the two to look at didnt even talk much about the TC. guess im going to go for the 25" LPII id get the next size up but i never cut anything that big in the 4 years that i have had my mimaki and offered vinyl... also most of my rolls are 15"x50yards. I guess i was just a little confused cause the rep made it seem as though the SC as the was the same as the LPII except for the contour cutting support. Now i see how my thoughts were wrong.

slice and dice, you seem to really love your SC, i possibly use my vinyl machine maybe once a month or so, im really trying to bump those numbers but people typically want printed vinyl which i offer as well... most of my clients dont really understand the difference, and flip out when i tell them the pricing. i guess im still stuck! haha oh well i still have a few days to decide, since im still waiting on my refund from signwarehouse.

Love it? What I really love is how it makes me $$$ easily.

After my MH unit went down (my fault, I tripped on the USB cable and it broke the port) and I decided to bring in a replacement machine, the SC was the upper limit of my budget.

Now that I am using the SC as my primary cutter, it works fine for what I need, and that includes creating banners, coroplast 'bandit signs' , job-site signs, vehicle lettering, a-frame signs, window decals, and whatever else I can whip together with computer-cut texts.

post-21408-0-69294600-1348847134.jpg

post-21408-0-22122300-1348847140.jpg

looks like it can cut some pretty small stuff... thats pretty much the most i do right there! im guessing you have not tried to use the contour cuting ability? i honestly would be pushing what i should spend for the amount i actually cut by going with the LPII... i just dont want to get stuck with another crappy plotter, like the one i got from signwarehouse... that thing warped my images as it was cutting... which is beyond me how or why it was doing what it was doing. then it just quit working altogether... in less than 10min.

I have no printer, so no need for contour cutting.

The SC should be used with a serial connection.

The difference between the SC 24 and LPII 24 is $140.

Add another $30 for the nice catch-basket.

Whip out your credit card, and go for it.