xpaperman

Cutter peeling up vinyl while cutting

I will start out with the typical and obvious.... NEWBIE here.....

Any way, can anyone tell me why when I try and cut on my vinyl it peels up as it cuts?

Could my image just be to detailed?

I have a new US cutter, SC series, I am using a 60 deg blade, speed is 100, pressure was 100 dropped it to 75 to see if it would help, using Greenstar calendared intermediate vinyl.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Brianpost-27312-0-65030200-1348150737.jpg

Hey man, looks like you have to much blade exposed.

You should just barely see the blade tip.

Shorten up your blade

Thx...LL

It does appear to be barely sticking out, I have tested it on a piece of scrap vinyl by hand (read that some where) and it cuts the top layer and not the backing (just doing a straight line.) The blade set as is works perfect on my heat transfer vinyl (I have only tried with text on transfer vinyl). Still think it could be to much blade?

I will try to expose less blade and see if I can get it to work, it's not cutting through the paper backing so I thought I was good.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Man, make sure you are firmly making that cut in the test cut,

Then adjust your force and make sure you get the same results.

Barely seeing a mark in the paper backing

Using better quality vinyl will help also.

With all that lifting of vinyl, make sure there is no adhesive on your blade,

Try slowing your speed down even more.

Clean with some alcohol or similar to get adhesive off.

Thx...LL

It does appear to be barely sticking out, I have tested it on a piece of scrap vinyl by hand (read that some where) and it cuts the top layer and not the backing (just doing a straight line.) The blade set as is works perfect on my heat transfer vinyl (I have only tried with text on transfer vinyl). Still think it could be to much blade?

I will try to expose less blade and see if I can get it to work, it's not cutting through the paper backing so I thought I was good.

Thanks for the quick response!!

try less blade ,mak sure the blade moves freely in the holder(no scrap vinyl or debris ) check that the head is positioned correctly on the carriage

Dan

lizzylou answered while i was typing lol

I am in the middle of a cut on heat transfer (working like a charm) When it is finished I will try and readjust the blade for the regular vinyl (I almost hate to jack with it since it is perfect on the transfer...LOL) and let you know how it goes. I did notice there seems to be a bit more tack when weeding the heat vinyl than the regular vinyl.....

Man, I just looked, and most heat transfer vinyl like Siser is 3.7Mils

Most intermediate vinyl is 2.5-3 mils ,try and back off your force.

Not change the blade adjustment.

See if that works better.

Thx...LL.

60˚ blades are fine for intermediate and cast vinyl. They are usually needed when cutting thicker material such as reflective vinyl.

60˚ blades are also recommended when cutting small details or very small letters.

I pay the same for 60 and 45 degree blades . I cut mostly with a 60 and my pcut cuts 1/4 inch letters very well so I don't bother to change back and forth.

Dan

Myself I have never used a 60 deg blade to cut anything under 8 mils. I would think the speeds needed for a 60 deg to track correctly would be to slow for me. I have never had a problem using a 45 as far as detail and lifting or whatever.

Great topic and help... Ive been working with a decal file where the over all decal has some large parts with some very small letters... I found I really had to fine tune the blade and the other settings to find the sweet spot... It drove me dam near insane... You should try and find your range, meaning back the blade mil by mil into the holder until the test cut is no longer workable, then out mil by mil until you find the perfect peel... You should somewhere on the way encounter a spot where it seems to be stippled or cuts with perforations, and at the end of the spectrum you will see where it may not cut all the way through the backer, but cuts hard enough to leave ridges where the material was forced out of the way...

Hope this helps as it was just based on my thoughts and findings over the past week of pulling my hair out... Remember different vinyls and mediums have different thicknesses and will require adjustments... Heck, I found that when cutting super detailed designs, I have to stop every few, clean the blade holder, and make sure everything is running hot, straight and normal...

Bruce

When mine starts doing the peeling thing I take the blade holder apart and get the small debris out of the bearing. You need a magnifing glass to see the fine debris but it will stop the blade from turning correctly. I washed it out with WD 40 and then cleaned the holder with 91 percent ISO alcohol.

I do so much fine detail that i only use 60 degree blades in mine. :rolleyes:

I would have to say back the speed down some. All my machines are like perfectly set, I never have to adjust them. Just takes time and patience to get there.

bladeinfo.jpg

Dang I have been doing it all wrong - I use a 60 degree cleancut in both my cutter and printer cutter and change blades less than once a year LOL why change what works - I use one blade - I do use 2 holders though 1 for everyday cutting including sign vinyl and heat press and another for reflectives and metallics on the printer I have 2 set up 1 for with laminate and 1 for without - just switch them and not mess with changing depth - again all 60 degree cleancut blades. the proof is in the detail

post-2742-0-03558400-1350807133.jpg

post-2742-0-30235600-1350807309.jpg

post-2742-0-94522900-1350807401.jpg

wen i have 2 lines in the same design it starts to peel of the vinyl

Yes...I have had that happen when there are duplicate cut lines.

Check your graphic and be sure you don't have double image

or outlines.

Sue2

Darn Scott......that makes me want that Graphtec NOW!!!

• Like 1

Sorry to post on such on old thread-- but @lizzylou's suggestion was spot on for me.

I'm working with an MH cutter, had major peeling when cutting small artifacts (fonts in this case) on Oracal 651.

Backing off on the "force" did it for me. I had started at the default 500 grams, ended up at 20 grams, running at about 100 for the speed. Also, bonus with the lessened force is that the machine runs much quieter, and still cuts just as well.

Thanks @lizzylou