Krookz

SC Series - Random cuts across image and off to the sides

Hey everyone. New to the plotter scene, picked up a 25" Sc series.

After much trial and error I have the blade and software dialed in and successfully made a small logo with no pulled corners or anything. Thanks to the people that post here.

Iv been trying new designs on paper as not to waste vinyl. So I know its not a static issue. The cutter does great for a while, then randomly during the job it will draw a line to a random point in the picture, then go back to where it was supposed to be. It will also go all the way to the left with the pen down and hit the side which causes the belt to slip and make some loud noises. It will also feed the paper out infinitely. Im assuming the plotter is crashing or im having some sort of communication error. I have tried 2 different designs, re-creating the files multiple times and also tried using the peice of crap signcut software. Signcut draws random squiggles... wtf?! It worked for text and a simple logo during testing... Might be a file error since im converting for SB

I have noticed if I do simple designs that dont take a long time to cut it runs perfectly. I was able to get a perfect test logo out of it, hence moving to a more advanced one. Another possible issue might be my cutter settings in SB. There's no US cutter in the lift but I followed a setup tutorial posted here and used the same settings the guy used. I dont think the cutter name has anything to do with it as long as the com settings are correct.

I have a ticket in with support but I wanted to ask here.

Windows 7

Inkscape

Signblazer

Usb cable

Windows and software com settings 9600, and hardware. Also tried the 4800.

Vector work in inkscape, saving as .eps. Importing eps into SB and cutting.

If im using the blade, i run between 100-300 speed. 130g

post-27310-0-43787200-1348149409.jpgpost-27310-0-91182700-1348149412.jpg

Go to a serial connection... The USB drivers with the entry level cutters are very hit and miss.... Some machines and systems work flawlessly while others have issues.... I had this issue with my cutter (a different brand but same idea entry level with chinese USB drivers.) worked fine for about 7 months then one day started doing the exact thing you are seeing... I went to a serial connection and it has been perfect since....

Ok I had a feeling about the serial connection. I just got back from digging through the pile of old IT junk in my server room at work. Managed to dig up some kind of port replicator. Going to see if I can jump on a Cisco router with it.

Ill post back with my findings tonight, and whatever support says for any other poor souls like myself.

Down with cRapple!

Ok the port replicator works, windows 7 installed it and I jumped on a router with the com port. Its a kensington replicator, com port shows up in windows as a Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(com 7). Hope that does me, I will report back after work today

Ok guys the port replicator seems to have done the trick! Thank you very much.

Im rather impressed at the detail... 6" tall

gallery_27310_92_103850.jpg

What is the difference between buying the keyspan to use on the USB port and using the serial port? Does the keyspan on the USB work as well?

Have you had good luck cutting small detail - say 1/2" letter and fine lines on the SC?

I had absolutely decided to buy the SC when I started reading posts on this forum and thought maybe I needed to go with a Graphex - but I'd really rather start with an SC. However, I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars and end up starting over.

Tammy

Yes, the SC will cut details, such as 1/2" lettering.

The serial connection on the cutter allows for a more reliable transfer of data. Think of it as the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose, in volume of water getting through.

The SC will do what you need. Here's one I did last night...

As for the connection; I haven't had any trouble since I went to the com port. Its still technically though the USB but with a stable device and drivers.

gallery_27310_92_1631455.jpg

Well I tried a very large and detailed cut this weekend. Crashed on the last part of it :(

So much for 50" in vinyl. Might try a dedicated usb-com converter

Bought a Gigaware serial converter, and tried the cut again at half size. Worked fine. Researched the converter and everyone said it worked great with picky equipment. Ill update here if it crash's again

I am having the same issue with my MH series 28 inch cutter. The problem is the same exact random lines appear on the cut, whether I use USB or serial, EPS or SVG (tried several different formats of each), and regardless of paper or vinyl. I have installed the static ground wire with no help either.

Whats frustrating is certain files will do it regardless of complexity. I was able to cut an entire QR code, but I can't cut out 4 words of boxy text. I am using signcut to cut the vinyls, and adobe illustrator to design them.

Sometimes the cutter will lock up and start cutting all the way across to the left, and other times it will just drag the blade to the different shapes its cutting like shown above.

I am also using Windows XP

Currently using serial at 9600 Baud, tried different handshake settings and doesnt change the cut path at all

tried 4800 too.

I had all kinds of trouble when I put a cutter offset in Signcut. Everything worked fine through USB to my SC cutter until I changed the offset. With .25 in for offset, nothing cut right. Put offset back to 0 and it works perfect.

I'm having real good luck with the new Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro and my SC cutter. I've not done any adjustments to the software and I'm getting cleaner cuts than I have ever gotten with either SignBlazer or SignCut Pro.

I did get a serial to USB Keyspan adaptor.

Make sure your cutter is well grounded. I also put dryer sheets on the vinyl and machine just in case.

-Scott.

• Like 1