CarterMarkham

First 2 color decal...what happened?

So I got my image vectorized. I made 2 layers in Illustrator, one of the car, and of of the text.

I saved the first layer, the text, as an SVG file. Then I saved the second layer, the car, as an SVG file.

I opened the car with SignCut and sized the image to 6 inches wide (kept proportions) I plotted it and all seemed fine. I then did the same with the text in SignCut. The text came out HUGE. I thought I made a mistake so I went back to the car and sized it at 6 inches again. It was still too small. The text looked like it was twice as big as it should be so I sized the car at 12 inches. It is close but it is still off. Anyone know what I did wrong?

post-27037-0-10408300-1348100866.jpg

Can't you import them both to the same screen and size them side by side then cut them..... The picture looks pretty good to me...... Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to ask..... Sounds like you think the text is to large but to me it looks pretty good in proportion to the car....

Let me try to explain it better. I tried it again tonight doing a different method.

I have the entire image in Adobe Illustrator. 1 layer being text, and one layer being the car. I used a square in this case as a registration mark. Its on both layers. I save the first layer as text.svg, and I save the second layer as car.svg.

I open them separately in SignCut. First the text. I go to Settings>image and make it 5 inches wide. Cut it on the cutter. it cuts like it should.

I then open the car in SignCut. I do the same thing Settings>image and make it 5 inches wide. Cut it on the cutter, it comes out small. See picture. I did it on paper this time as not to waste vinyl.

post-27037-0-81238000-1348183024.jpg

I don't know anything about signcut but in signblazer I just import every thing in my design arrange and size as needed and when you send it to the cutter it will separate the colors and just cut each color and apply .

• Like 1

Thats how my Flexi works also... Thats why I asked if he could import them both into signcut and size them side by side.... Only thing I can think of is maybe when he is sizing the car the import settings have the size in CM and not inches.... But again I don't know why or how that would happen...

Unless if you have it set up as 2 layers and the lettering is the one in which you have allowed the extra room for the car... When you import it into Signcut that does not recognize the extra black space there that is supposed to be alloted for the car and it is selecting just the text and scaling that and not the while layer..... Or vice versa could be the case also.... I think it has something to do with having it in 2 layers.... Try importing them both at the same time into Signcut and sizing them together in seperate colors then cut them... make sure on one of them it is leaving room to physically layer them....

• Like 1

Thats how my Flexi works also... Thats why I asked if he could import them both into signcut and size them side by side.... Only thing I can think of is maybe when he is sizing the car the import settings have the size in CM and not inches.... But again I don't know why or how that would happen...

Unless if you have it set up as 2 layers and the lettering is the one in which you have allowed the extra room for the car... When you import it into Signcut that does not recognize the extra black space there that is supposed to be alloted for the car and it is selecting just the text and scaling that and not the while layer..... Or vice versa could be the case also.... I think it has something to do with having it in 2 layers.... Try importing them both at the same time into Signcut and sizing them together in seperate colors then cut them... make sure on one of them it is leaving room to physically layer them....

+1

From what i can see it looks like you have the border box around only the lettering in the text one and have it around the whole graphic in the car one which makes the car small. Try including the blank area that the car would be in for the text and they both should re-size the same. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

From what i can see it looks like you have the border box around only the lettering in the text one and have it around the whole graphic in the car one which makes the car small. Try including the blank area that the car would be in for the text and they both should re-size the same. Hope that helps.

Yeah I would get rid of that box.

You can export straight into signcut from Illy. I would size it in illustrator how you want it then turn off the layer you dont want to cut and export straight to signcut. Then just do the other layer the same way.

Incase you dont have Illustrator setup to export to signcut here is the plug-ins signcut has for it.

http://www.signcutpro.com/SignCut-Productivity-Pro/signcut-export-plugins.html

Make a new sheet larger than the graphics and put both graphics on the new sheet.You need both graphics inside the same file to get the sizing right. THEN copy and paste to a new file to cut them seperately. The appendages of the b and y are throwing off your numbers. Measure from the top of the u to the bottom of the m with the ruler and you will see what i mean. :rolleyes: