taskforce4u

how to decide on vinyl

If this has been posted some where I apologize I have read through a lot of post and didn't really get a clear answer. I am new....(ha like you couldn't tell). We purchased a Gerber P2C w/ Omega Software/ adobe illustrator. The person I bought from had some FDC 2500 series and 4200 series and then also some avery vinyl. I am ready to start ordering some but from reading the post on here it is very hard to determine which vinyl manufacture I want to use. For example I am gathering Greenstar is bad juju so I started reading on some Orcal..now I see some people calling this a very inexpensive but not a great product.

I am not sure how to really determine what is going to be the best. I did our work van in the FDC 4200 due to it was ours and I really just wanted to play around with doing it. From what I have read the Intermediate is the used for decals, vehicles etc but not for back lighted signs. Is there a good place that would explain the difference in the types of vinyl and which application is best for different situations.

I know that everyone has their own favorite brand and just because one person doesn't like another person's choice doesn't necessarily mean it's bad vinyl. I just could use some good in put.

Thanks!

I have read others say that Avery intermediate is good. I personally am going with Oracal 651 for now due to what I have read about it here on the forums. Oracal in general is the bees knees overall ;-)

• Like 1

This is my guideline using Oracal vinyl:

Exhibition For walls - Oracal 631 as it has a temporary adhesive and matte finish

Intermediate for on Glass - Oracal 651 or better (More contoured may require cast vinyl, Oracal 751)

Performance on a metal painted surface - Oracal 751 or better

• Like 2

Terri with the major vinyl manufactures you will find the specs pretty close to the same for the grade . The grades start at economy and go to premium with maybe sub grades in between . Jay gave a good example above what your installing it on and the life wanted out of the finished product dictates the grade of vinyl .

And Jeremy didnt.. right Dan.. lmao

Lol my point Jeremy was that most all the brands are about the same spec wise in the same grade . Oracal is a good brand but there are other brands that work great the better vinyls cut ,weed and apply easier .

Dan