oldmountaincrafts

How to determine an arc of a glass

I have some pint beer mugs, some martini glasses and just tapered glasses in general that I'm wanting to apply some stencils to so I can etch and I can't for the life of me figure out how to arc the art so it comes out straight once applied around the glass. Any suggestions on the best way to do this when there are multiple arcs? I need some answers quick, trying to help a friend out.

Thanks!!!

Do a google search on it... I know there is a formula you can use I just can't for the life of me remember what it is...

Try a few of these.... I tried reading through them but can't focus my poor poor LIONS are on and it's not going good.......

I know the wording is wrong but I think you may stumble on something there....

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+to+find+the+arc+of+a+cylinder&oq=how+to+find&gs_l=serp.1.0.35i39j0l3.82872.144098.0.149277.11.11.0.0.0.0.132.1148.3j8.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.nV-mKTA_Y-E&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=e0ad5b0b13e28188&biw=1366&bih=667

Thanks Dr! I think this might work! I'll post back to let y'all know.

And FYI, I know what you mean about football! I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm a COWBOYS fan AND a BUCCANEERS fan. Cowboys SUCKED yesterday, but I tell ya what, my Bucs looked really good until the last quarter against the Giants, especially since they are under all new coaching. I get razed all the time where I live because the home team here are the Panthers, but I just hate them. Get rid of Cam Newton and maybe I'll think about liking them. he's just too much!!!! I'll think about you on game days when I see the Lions!!

Here is a video showing how to position for curved glass from rayzist. hope the link works

Bob

Thanks Dr! I think this might work! I'll post back to let y'all know.

And FYI, I know what you mean about football! I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm a COWBOYS fan AND a BUCCANEERS fan. Cowboys SUCKED yesterday, but I tell ya what, my Bucs looked really good until the last quarter against the Giants, especially since they are under all new coaching. I get razed all the time where I live because the home team here are the Panthers, but I just hate them. Get rid of Cam Newton and maybe I'll think about liking them. he's just too much!!!! I'll think about you on game days when I see the Lions!!

Go Seahawks :lol:

• Like 1

this creates a .dxf file that can be imported to your cutting/design software. It imports to SignBlazer so it should import to just about anything.

http://www.sheetmetalguy.com/cones.htm

Jay this is the formula I was looking for.... When I was a Tin Knocker we had to use it every so often for the same reason described doing Duct transitions. I know there is a long formula..(One of those that looks like someone spilled alphabet soup on the paper.) that this must have an excel sheet setup that does it... GREAT FIND!

The easiest way to do it is draw a circle at the diam. of your piece in your drawing program then have the text follow the curve. Here is a chart for you. Hope it helps

Bob

text-arc.tmp Converted.eps

Jay this is the formula I was looking for.... When I was a Tin Knocker we had to use it every so often for the same reason described doing Duct transitions. I know there is a long formula..(One of those that looks like someone spilled alphabet soup on the paper.) that this must have an excel sheet setup that does it... GREAT FIND!

Did a Google search on Flat Pattern Layout of a Cone. I hung sheet metal too.

Go Seahawks :lol:

Yeah, one of my favorite people in the world is Nascar driver Kasey Kahne and he's a Seahawks fan too. I hear it enough from him. Trying to convert to a Cowboys or Bucs fan, but he tells me it's useless! I just keep telling him I can root for someone else in the driver's seat too :)

• Like 1