EKeach

:Newbie Needing Help:

Greetings from Tennessee!

I am a stay at home Mom wanting to start making the Vinyl Monogrammed Decals that you see on cars,etsy.com and basically everywhere!

I would like to know what I need to get started. I would also like to know does software come included when you purchase a cutter? I would like the easiest cutter & program to learn.

If you have any suggestions on anything that would help me get started PLEASE let me know

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advance!! ;D

Any vinyl cutter will do that.

Where you purchase your vinyl cutter depends on the extras you receive with it.

You need to read the ads of where you are wanting to purchase.

LL

Greetings!

Since you are a stay-at-home mom, you probably have lots of free time on your hands, so I highly encourage you to read through these Forums, and get a feel of what others have done in your same situation (there is even a section called "Pre-Sale Questions" that's pretty useful)

In the meantime, download and install the FREE design program SignBlazer Elements, and start playing around with that.

It will give you a good look at what is involved with vinyl cutting.

I have a question of my own for you ---- do you have space available in your home for setting up a studio for decal production?

Anyone that throws a temper tantrum like this wont be in business very long! As Dale Carnegie says "if you want honey, dont kick over the beehive"! I think what OP really needs is anger management classes/therapy!

Greetings!

Since you are a stay-at-home mom, you probably have lots of free time on your hands, so I highly encourage you to read through these Forums, and get a feel of what others have done in your same situation (there is even a section called "Pre-Sale Questions" that's pretty useful)

In the meantime, download and install the FREE design program SignBlazer Elements, and start playing around with that.

It will give you a good look at what is involved with vinyl cutting.

I have a question of my own for you ---- do you have space available in your home for setting up a studio for decal production?

Oops Slice you must have missed the part MOM not a lot of free time I would guess lol . As slice suggested try the freeware signblazer and inkscape a design software you can find the links on the forum also do a lot of reading and familiarize yourself with the different grades of cutters and their capabilities to make a educated decision also decide what type of computer you will operate the cutter from and if you will need a keyspan adapter or not it is all right here in the forum. USCutter has good prices both on cutters and supplys and flat rate shipping. Good luck and welcome to the forum . What part of Tennessee are you from?

Dan

• Like 1

Hi EKeack,

If you think it will take you an hour, it'll take four...

If you think it'll take you a day, it'll take two days...

A month could easily become 3 months.

My point to you as a beginner is, brace yourself for the learning curve; but never be discouraged by it. From your question, I judge you have a long way to go, but sense you need to go there.

Go there.

Welcome to the forums! I just jumped in on my 1st purchase as well. I am so far pretty close to $900 for everything I bought. But, for you if you got an SC series cutter for example, you could probably get away with about $600 or so. I am learning Sign Blazer and Inkscape. Both are free programs! Good luck on your endeavors!

Yeah and SC cutter and Sign Blazer and Inkscape are good starts. I'm in this for fun and not for money so I've got a different perspective than a lot. I just make everything for myself or friends. The software has a pretty quick entry point to get cutting but to really get good at it the learning curve is quite steep. So be prepared to spend some time working on it.

Before buying a cutter I would download a free program like Inkscape and play around with it. Design and learn the ropes to see if you like it. Then once you feel comfortable with that end of it start looking at cutters. Are you planning this as a full time business, part time or just an occasional hobby? It will make a difference on the size and type of cutter you may want to invest in.

I work from home myself and I can tell you we have almost outgrown our space in a matter of months! We plan on placing a portable office or building a shop this spring to move into on or property. I do mostly printed decals for businesses but also some vinyl cutting as well. It may sound easy to work from home but there are some challenges to think about. My biggest obstacle is separating my work time from my off time.

Shelle