smokey13

Tablet anyone?

Hey guys! I have been considering getting a tablet lately. I am curious if anyone is using a tablet and what apps are being used. I'm not sure if this has been done yet but it would be nice and convenient! Thanks

Gary

If you're thinking of hooking up a tablet to a vinyl cutter, that's just not happening, AFAIK.

Not interested in one for cutting. Mainly design work while traveling and the convenience of carrying something light weight when meeting clients.

My wife gave me her old ipad and all I can do with it is play Angry Birds. I can't see how people can do anything with them.

• Like 1

I thought about going with a tablet for the same thing but ended up buying a small netbook instead.... Got a GREAT deal on a display piece from Best Buy... I got a nice small case it goes in and it will run SB just fine.

My brother has a Windows tablet (Acer or Asus - I don't remember which for sure) that he purchased used from a store specializing in recycled video game systems. It's a dual-core, hyper threaded processor with 4GB of RAM and is actually faster than the laptop I use with my cutter. It would probably work OK as part of a cutting system, but with a MSRP in the $800 range it's not very economically feasible.

I own a Motrola Xoom (Android 4.1) and I've played with the Adobe Touch apps - they are very nice, but not really anything you can use for vector designs, Adobe Ideas is vector based, but I haven't had any luck getting anything from it into a PC compatible vector format. I do use it to sketch out ideas, but everything needs to be recreated on the PC when I get back to it.

Myself I would go with a laptop or netbook I looked at an acer netbook that has loads of memory 4gigs and a 350 gig hard drive the tablets are nice but I myself prefer a real computer.

• Like 2

I use an iPad 2 use sketch pro to draw and can send it to my computer. I use oracls app for vinyl and some tshirt apps along with famed and invoices I learning on that along with point of sales.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dakotagrafx" data-cid="304115" data-time="1363967288"><p>

a desktop of similar specs will always outperform a laptop.</p></blockquote>

Yep and so much easier on the eyes . I have a Sprint galaxy tablet a HTC EVO 4g smart phone that I use to post a lot I am too lazy to go to one of the computers lol and an asus lappy but the old desk top is my favorite I have one of my old 42 in tvs as a monitor and is easy to see and clean up designs without being close to the screen . This is an older computer but you don't need a lot of speed for design and cutting .

If ya'll could start this thread over.... and talk about how awesome it would be to have an ipad for vinyl, it might be just the thing I need to finally convince my wife how bad I need an Ipad.... thanks in advance for your help!  :-)      baaawwwwhahahaha

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting a smart phone or tablet. No chance I could do SignBlazer on either is there? Madhatter, could you tell me more about sketchpad?

A windows8 based tablet might run SignBlazer.

There are also some nice touch screen laptops that are not much bigger than a tablet and priced about the same.

I have a galaxy Note, its great its not too big or too small, just right for showing customers, my work, or there designs.

I also have a Mini netbook, i run around with. Great on the battery, and i have a car charger for it too. 

I personally hate ipads, and those "pads" my galaxy note is almost too big. but i wont go bigger. 

but some people like em, so.

just dont get an "IPAD" get a galaxy tab or something with a bit more freedom, where ya can hook it to your pc, and not have to use itunes lol.

Not sure if it was mentioned above, but the BEST app to use in relation to vinyl cutting is Inkpad on the ipad. It is a vector drawing app, which has come in handy for me over and over again. Can export in a number of different file types.

• Like 1

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and there is only one app I have found that barely works and I have to export the drawing as an .svg file then email it to myself on my laptop then open it in Inkscape then do any conversion or fixing if it will even work at all....basicly get a Notebook computer instead of an Android based tablet at this point.  Maybe in the future there will be something good.

There is 2 apps for Android I have found:

Vector Artist and the other is Infinite Design neither work well as far as I can tell.  I get frustrated quickly with them.

Maybe a Windows based tablet would work better.  But still a used laptop or even a new laptop is the way to go at this point.

Scott

I've Asus Eee Pad TF300T (NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.20 GHz) myself, does the intended job at best.

First of I haven't always used iTunes for transferring music files I don't remember what I did. Sketchpad is a great drawing program for the ipad. It was the first thing I downloaded. As for it not being like a windows tablet or any other its true its almost an one trick pony I have the Ipad2 and I don't regret it, plus if it wasn't for apple windows or anyone else wouldn't have brought one out. I think the tablet is the wave of the future for all industries but how many are going to follow it up? I know Roland has added some nice features to alert you of jobs being done. I however don't believe the tablets will be as strong as a laptop or pc, unless they get some really decent air flow going. Anyway that's my .02 and I'm outta here.