Briguy

Which version to get ?

Hi , I have been cutting vinyl for about 1.5 years as a hobby and side business . I have been using Inkscape and Sign Blazer and want to move on to a better design program . I see there is x3 , X4 , X5 , and X6 and not really sure which to get . Is X6 woth the price over the others ?

Thanks for any help .

Any of them will work well for you .

I use X3 & X4 (on XP) at work. Have X3 at home on XP and & X5 on my laptop with Win7.

Usually there is not that big a difference between one update to the next.

If you are using Win7 you may want to go with X5 or X6.

Sue2

I am using X3 as that is what came with my Graphtec bundle from US Cutter. I am running it on a Windows 7 laptop and it performs very well. I have had no reason to want to upgrade as it currently does everything I need it to do.

Advice to you or anyone buying major software; buy the LAST stable version of that software, and always have an original boxed version shipped to you. The reason is simple; you can't control a download; you can control a disk.

I'm seeing more and more people making dumber and dumber decisions on this.

I know you hate it, I do too, but read the fine print.

There are many ways to try out any version of any sortware. Legally

Advice to you or anyone buying major software; buy the LAST stable version of that software...

That is not always good advice. There are many times where earlier versions of software are more valuable and more useful to the end-user than the "LAST stable version". Although they often times will fix bugs and add new features, more often than not the newer versions require more memory and faster processors as that is what the developers are targetting. If you don't have a high end, state-of-the-art computer, then software that is a couple of versions out of date may actually be better and more stable for you and is usually quite a bit cheaper.

As I said earlier, I use Corel X3 - I know there are at least 3 versions out since this one, but this one works just fine on my system and does everything I need it to do and it came free with my Graphtec package. Why should I drop several hundred dollars more on buying the latest version? What is it really, honestly going to gain me?

Also, I own several "major software" packages that I purchased via download. I burn it to CD/DVD and file it away with a printed copy of my license key information. I don't need a cardboard box, a heavy, poorly-written manual and 47 assorted pieces of paper detailing my EULA, limited warranty, REGISTER NOW!, etc. and a fancy CD case for my software. All I need is the bits/bytes and the legal right to use them. If I can save money and do my part for the environment (not to mention the nearly instant gratification of purchasing my software and downloading it immediately), then why would I ever want to spend extra money on shipping and wait for it arrive?

A quick search reveals X6 to be selling on average for almost 3 times the price of X3. While there may very well be enhancements available in X6 that I'm most certainly missing out on. I just don't see any valid reason to spend more than X3 costs, as it's always done what I've needed it to do. Then again perhaps someone else would need more?

One note about X3 that really bugs me. They removed the centerline trace feature. If you don't know what it is, maybe you won't miss it. I believe they added it back in in X4 but can't swear to it my latest version is X3. There's other improvements over X3 but I don't remember them any more. I looked into an upgrade a year or two ago but was stopped by the cost... And I keep a version 11 with the separate tracing program that does have ther centerline trace feature for when I need it...