Sign in to follow this  
top53

New SC cutter

Yup the vector images I have drawn seem to turn out pretty much good not matter how small I try and cut them. It's the fonts that are cut cutting clean and yes the larger the font the less noticeable the tiny hairs are.

Any ideas on how to "clean up" fonts? That is something I have no idea how to do.

-Scott

What happens if you convert the font into paths which makes it basically the same a vector image. Or it might be how the blade is touching down.

I've not tried converting the font to a vector first. Might give that a try tonight.

I think with the font its how the blade is touching down. I thought that is what the blade offset setting is supposed to eliminate i.e. position the blade carriage so the tip of the blade hits where it's supposed exactly on the "path" then as the carriage and rollers move the vinyl the blade turns to it's cutting position.

So you mean to export the font as jpg? or bmp, then load it again and auto trace it ?? that may work huh... then just mess with the Nods adjustments

So you mean to export the font as jpg? or bmp, then load it again and auto trace it ?? that may work huh... then just mess with the Nods adjustments

not exactly what i was thinking. Type your font in inkscape then go to the node edit tool. Notice how the nodes dont follow the text. Now using the select tool click the font you just typed. Then go to the path drop down at the top and select object to path. Now click the node editing tool again and notice when you click on one of the letters they will have nodes that make up the shape of the letter.

Now im not sure if this is the issue but this is the way i do all my text and it turns out good with out the hairs you guys are talking about.

I've not tried converting the font to a vector first. Might give that a try tonight.

I think with the font its how the blade is touching down. I thought that is what the blade offset setting is supposed to eliminate i.e. position the blade carriage so the tip of the blade hits where it's supposed exactly on the "path" then as the carriage and rollers move the vinyl the blade turns to it's cutting position.

The offset is simply an adjustment that tells the cutter to move the blade farther in the corners. ( and i guess everywhere as well, its just noticeable in the corners) I think the easiest way to understand this is think about an exacto knife. The center of the handle is not at the same place as the tip of the blade(thinking vertically). The cutter is programmed to follow the path in terms of the center of the blade holder. Thinking vertically again, this is not where the tip of the blade is at so the offset tells the cutter to keep moving to complete the cut.

Also the blade doesn't turn its self. There are bearings in the blade holder that allow the blade to spin freely in whatever direction the rollers and carriage are going. This could also be where your getting the hairs because the blade could be turned at a 90 degree angle to the direction the rollers and carriage are going. High end cutters have a feature that remembers the last direction the blade was going and makes sure the blade touches back down in the same direction.

hope this helps

Tyler

Yes I understand the offset function regarding the vertical position of the blade tip. What got me was no matter what I set the offset to there would still be the little hairs. I guess the smaller letters are just out of the question for a SC cutter.

-Scott