Seaco

Newby needs help choosing a cutter?

Hi All

This is my first post so be gentle, I do a fair bit of airbrushing and I'm looking for a cutter about 28" maybe a MH721 that will cut stencil material Mylar type is there a way to check how thick a material these will cut?

I will also want it to cut vinyl it would also be nice to have contour cutting but yhis isn't a deal breaker...

Any help really appreciated

Lee

This posting seems miscategorized --- it's not really a "general discussion" but rather a "Pre-Sale Question" topic.

Anyway, since it's here, I'll reply.

The MH series machines are notoriously loud, so take that into consideration, depending on where you'll be setting up your work area, it can be somewhat annoying to everyone in the vicinity and makes normal conversation virtually impossible (you have to raise your voice over the cutter noise).

That being said, my MH machine seems to have plenty of downforce to get through mylar.

The only thing you'll have to worry about is tearing up your cutting strip, by going through the material and gouging the strip.

Cutting strips are not really expensive, but you probably will be replacing them frequently.

http://www.uscutter.com/Cutting-strip-for-25-USCutter-MH-Vinyl-Sign-Cutters-RFSCTSTRP25

By the way, MH721 won't handle 28" -- you'll need the MH871.

I have a MH871 and love it, it is a bit loud but it sits in the corner of my office and if you are chatting you almost forget it is even running. The Mylar i cut is from a place called Bren they sell cutters and stencil material by the roll. it comes with a backing paper. I set mine to cut 2 or 3 passes and really slow speed. If i remember to adjust the blade it cuts perfect. lol but over all it does a wonderful job.

Thank you for the replies, noise isn't going to be a problem as it will probably be situated in my little workshop outside. I am glad the MH will cut Mylar I was given a MH721 with the motherboard hanging out and I had to repair some frayed wires and it all fired up and I pressed the Test button and it went through it's thing but the cutter head doesn't seem to raise and lower so I think something must be amiss but I'm no electrician to know what's wrong and parts don't seem to be to easy to find even if I knew what had gone wrong?

As for a cutting strip I see the previous owner had put masking tape along where the cutter blade travels would this do the same job as you can guess I haven't had or used a plotter cutter before?

Lee

Thank you for the replies, noise isn't going to be a problem as it will probably be situated in my little workshop outside. I am glad the MH will cut Mylar I was given a MH721 with the motherboard hanging out and I had to repair some frayed wires and it all fired up and I pressed the Test button and it went through it's thing but the cutter head doesn't seem to raise and lower so I think something must be amiss but I'm no electrician to know what's wrong and parts don't seem to be to easy to find even if I knew what had gone wrong?

As for a cutting strip I see the previous owner had put masking tape along where the cutter blade travels would this do the same job as you can guess I haven't had or used a plotter cutter before?

Lee

sounds like you need this part for the UP/Down of carriage head.

http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/product/product_id/1406/category_id/70/product_name/Z-Axis+Carriage+Chip+for+MH+Series+Cutter

Hi yes I am in the UK... Thank you for that Skeeter, it looks as though that could be the part but as the cutter I have was quite neglected it's hard to know if it is just this but it is worth a try I think...

Lee

Hi yes I am in the UK... Thank you for that Skeeter, it looks as though that could be the part but as the cutter I have was quite neglected it's hard to know if it is just this but it is worth a try I think...

Lee

there is a battery test that you can try with a 9volt battery.. instructions here

Thanks Skeeter I will try that tomorrow and report back as it's 11pm here, I have been looking at the specs of the USCutter's different models MH, SC, PCut, Lasercut, TC etc. but they all seem to be quite alike spec wise or am I missing something except maybe Lasercut that has the laser?

Maybe this one it appears to be a USCutter PCut would it be a good choice, I really can't afford a Graphtec etc?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item46073eac3e

That is the same as the Laser Pointer, A Laser Pointer is a Pcut with a Laser. And you will definitely want a stand. I can't imagine working without a stand. As long as you have the room for it.

As I've said I have no idea what is a good all round choice would that one be, it seems a good price and I assume the laser means it can contour cut? would it cope with Mylar like the MH721, it is better to ask experts than to have to believe written specs I do appreciate your help...

I will take your advice and also get a stand...

Lee

A Pcut is a better machine over the MH series which is the bottom level of cutters. I guess it could contour cut. But not auto. like a Graphtec. It would be a manual.

Thank you for that, you say it could contour cut but manual how would the Graphtec do this differently wouldn't the PCut check registration marks before cutting if it does how does that differ from the Graphtec?

Thank you for that, you say it could contour cut but manual how would the Graphtec do this differently wouldn't the PCut check registration marks before cutting if it does how does that differ from the Graphtec?

No the Pcut does not check, You have to manually jog the cutter head to each registration mark. with the arrow buttons on your computer. The Graphtec has the ARMS system that auto reads each registration mark. Read on the Graphtec site.

Oh I see, I don't think I will be doing a lot of contour cutting so I doubt it will be to much of a problem and the times I do it will at least be possible...

Do you have a favourite design software you like I would like one that I can use with Illustrator if possible...

Lee

I do a bit of airbrushing and I have a 34" SC machine. Honestly it doesn't cut the heavier mylar especially the really detailed cuts you will probably want for airbrushing. For basic shapes the vinyl cutter will be good. However once you try and cut tiny pieces for airbrushing you are going to need a laser cutter to make mylar stencils.

I have had success cutting mylar but you have to "tack" it to a backing material. I have used a low tack spray adhesive to glue mylar to a big piece of drawing paper. Then you peel the mylar stencil off.

Here is a couple examples I have done with vinyl. The first picture of the helmet the only stencil I made is the pentagram. The skull is a commercially available laser cut mylar stencil. The problem is once you go below a certain size the vinyl cutters resolution and hassle of weeding is a problem.

I'm going to a friend who has a laser cutter to cut the detailed mylar stencils I need early next month.

Here is an example of detailed mylar stencils.

If your thinking of doing mylar stencils like this with a vinyl cutter-forget it....

-Scott

post-24954-0-79562300-1345955564.jpg

post-24954-0-93994600-1345955576.jpg

post-24954-0-97758800-1345955589.jpg

Thank you for that Scott that has helped a lot, it is a shame that it won't detail on Mylar, I suppose the next best thing is to cut on a lighter material and have them disposable at least they would be easy to repeat cut if needed...

Nice work by the way!

Skeeter: Tried the trick with the 9v battery and the good news is the carriage does actuate so a step further have you ever had to change one of those chips, does it just pull out and as for orientation do you just replace it with the wording in the same direction as the one you have taken out?

I have never replaced the chip your talking about and am jumping in on the topic..I am an old electronic engineer in my past life..LOL...On one end of the chip there will be a recess that looks like a small "U" or a circle..Make sure when you replace the chip that the new one goes in the same direction as the old one by way of that mark..No matter which way the writing is on the chip...It all has to do with that mark meaning that is the number 1 pin on the chip..Hope it helps..

stetson5331

Thank you for that Stetson... It looks as though I can get them cheaply here in the UK on Ebay £2.00 for 10 they are LM324N as is the one USCutters sell, I suppose they are all the same do the chips just pull out for replacement?

Thank you for that Scott that has helped a lot, it is a shame that it won't detail on Mylar, I suppose the next best thing is to cut on a lighter material and have them disposable at least they would be easy to repeat cut if needed...

Nice work by the way!

Skeeter: Tried the trick with the 9v battery and the good news is the carriage does actuate so a step further have you ever had to change one of those chips, does it just pull out and as for orientation do you just replace it with the wording in the same direction as the one you have taken out?

Would be best to contact tech support. I don't own a USCutter, vinyl cutter. I own a Graphtec. I think if you do some searching on the forum, Others have changed them. And you really need to get the cutter grounded, or this will happen again. The static has to go somewhere....And it will discharge out the carriage head. and fry that zchip again.

Thanks Skeeter I have been told by Stetson how to orient the chip and have now ordered one, when you say earth do you mean for instance running a separate wire from the chassis to say the stand for instance?

Thanks Skeeter I have been told by Stetson how to orient the chip and have now ordered one, when you say earth do you mean for instance running a separate wire from the chassis to say the stand for instance?

Yes, find a screw under the vinyl cutter, scrape some paint off, run a speaker wire or such to the stand. . Also good to use some dryer sheets in the vinyl rolls for static. Also best to use a serial. cable, A keyspan adapter if no serial connection. on computer.