I'm sure I will have to call support tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has come across this one. My wife called me at work and told me the cutter quit working right. MH721. x axis works fine. z axis works fine. stepper motor is good. I took the cutter apart, took the belt off and the motor turns perfectly when prompted. Let me shut down alot of questions real quick. the problem exist without being connected to the computer, so its not the usb cable, settings in software, drivers or anything outside of the cutter itself. when the belt is attached, i press the "offline/pause" button to manually move the head and thats when it gets stupid. sometimes it works right a couple times, other times it just sits there and rumbles, still other times(most recent attempt) i push the right button and it rumbles and moves to the left. WTF? the head is not jammed in any way. I can push it by hand all the way both ways. any ideas? maybe the carriage control cable?

any help would be great. got orders due to be shipped monday and cant lay paint without the vinyl.

thanks,

Chris

It kinda sounds like you have an electrical problem, perhaps with the button board?

http://www.uscutter....+Series+cutters

I believe it's definitely electrical. I don't think it's the button board though because the first problem showed up while cutting. that's when I starting trying to isolate the problem. Thanks for the reply.

UPDATE: Talked to support and my 4 month old cutter has a failed motherboard. oh well. overnight a new one for $106 and we should be back up and running tomorrow afternoon.

Grounding the machine is critical.

Also, keep a supply of dryer sheets on hand (I stuff them into the ends of the vinyl tubes when cutting)

it was grounded the way it was supposed to be, but now i'm thinking about running a wire from the machine to the stand and then to an earth ground, for good measure.

unfortunately, the mh721 only has a 3 month warranty.

Seems like USCutter still could sut you some slack on price. It's barely off warranty.