NateL

New here. Not sure what settings I need.

We just purchased a TC plotter and have been playing around with it a pretty good amount, but I've noticed on the last few prints that the blade doesn't seem to be making clean cuts. In some areas, the weeding is easy and the intricate details stay in place, but in other, it's like I need to apply a good amount of pressure using a tool (and it sometimes ruins the piece that I'm trying to hold down)

Through research, I've realized it could be a few different factors.

Blade length: I've followed the guides and the blade is out half a credit card length

Vinyl & Blade Type: We're using the standard GreenStar intermediate vinyl that came with our starter kit. With that, we're also using the 45 degree blade. Should we be using the 60?

Software: I'm using Adobe Illustrator with the plugin that exports to SignCut. What do the software settings need to be in SignCut for a 45 degree blade? The blade offset is currently set to .025. Any other settings I need to look at?

I'm experimenting with different pressure settings. What do I need to know about pressure settings?

How often should I change the blade out? What are some indications of a dull blade that needs to be changed?

Any other info would be great!

Thanks,

-Nate

First off half a credit card length for blade is too much. You should just barely see the blade tip and barely feel it. Take the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, cut firmly across a piece of scrap vinyl that you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade length to get there. The put the blade holder back in machine and make the same adjustments with your force on the cutter. Get the same results. Only cutting the vinyl and barely making a mark on wax paper backing

I would not use a tool to hold down your vinyl. I use a pencil eraser. no marks.

60 degree blade is for detailed designs.

Greenstar? Is really for short term , or practice.. Get some better vinyl, Oracal 651 is great for most uses.

Dull blade? It won't cut good. I have used my blades at 6 months at a time. And I cut everyday.

.025 MM offset is a starting point and can be adjusted .

• Like 1

Thanks.

I adjusted my pressure settings and it seems to be working a little better. But I'm not sure how much pressure is too much? The pressure settings go beyond 100 (I'm not sure exactly how high), and I'm at about 30 right now. Is that good or no?

There is no set number with force, It all depends on how far your blade is out. Like I pointed out, you should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

You have to get your blade set correctly FIRST.. If you have it at half a credit card out, then the blade is too far out.

Do test cuts with the vinyl your going to use, til you get the settings correct.