MAPTAT

Stencil

Never have dealt with such confusing software before. I have finally designed and exported a drawing in Inkscape as an .eps file. Have it imported to signcut and, using a pen, can see that it draws what I designed. However, it's saving vinyl and the area cut out surrounding the image is so close to the image itself that it would not work for a stencil because of over spray.

Please...how do I increase the area surrounding the image so I can cut a usable stencil that allows enough area away from the image so it can be used as an airbrush stencil and reduce the possibility of over spray?

I don't use Signcut, but..are you saying you have weed lines turned on? Outside border? If so,, turn them off. You should be able to use origin on your cutter to start with as much vinyl as you want.

LOL youve never used anything as confusing as inkscape? Thats probably the easiest graphic editing software Ive ever used. Try using any adobe product. Talk about a learning curve there! Or flexi, another huge learning curve! Inkscape is really easy to use. I have adobe illustrator and photoshop and flexi and I still do all of my editing in inkscape.

Anyways like skeeter said, sounds like you have weed lines, turn all those off and it should just cut with a normal margin around your graphic.

I'll check that but the way I see the 'weed' lines are extra lines through the center of the non used media to make weeding easier. I just need a larger border around the object I want cut. I need about 1" on all 4 sides of the object. In case I didn't say clearly what I needed. And what does 'origin' on the cutter mean? For you advanced folks sometimes you gotta go a bit slower for the newbies.

I have used tons of software for a long time but it appears there is little that is intuitive in the editing software. Doesn't seem to follow the conventions of other software. Ex. In signcut there is no delete in the file section. Somehow you are supposed to just know that when you open a new image the old one is replaced so delete is not necessary.

Heres' another one. How do I get the 'line' not the 'fill' in Inkscape to do white. I can get it black and sometimes green but have rarely got it into the white. I use that to eliminate some of the image when fine tuning it. Thanks.

Tried some more stuff. No luck! The problem is the "Normal" margin around the graphic would be fine for vinyl. I need a much larger margin for stencils. How do I do that. Is it in Inkscape or is there a setting on the plotter or SIgncut. Using a Copam 2500. Thanks again.

Possibly post your file with a screen print,, and explain more of what you are actually wanting. Would make more sense to us that way.

Go to cutout, advanced and see screenshot.

Paco

Go to cutout, advanced and see screenshot.

Paco

post-3643-0-43102000-1344661052.jpg

Paco I tried that. The max size already prescribed does not leave enough margin. I got it to do what I needed by doing the steps listed below. Some I found on the net and some was just a WAG. Comments on this solution would be appreciated.

1.Go to Settings…Tiles

2. In the width column…the one on the right

3. Increase the distance on the right side…the width side.

4. Uncheck Distance Frame.

5. Select OK.

6. Goto Cutter

7. Select Preview

8. You should see the image with a box around it.

9. If the ‘edge’ of the box is not big enough or is too small go back to #3 and change the size

Tried some more stuff. No luck! The problem is the "Normal" margin around the graphic would be fine for vinyl. I need a much larger margin for stencils. How do I do that. Is it in Inkscape or is there a setting on the plotter or SIgncut. Using a Copam 2500. Thanks again.

Hello.

This is Therese at SignCut Sweden. I would like to help you with this but I don't have a clear picture of what you mean. If you are having problem with the weeding frame in Signcut then one way to get around this is to turn of the weeding frame in Signcut by click the cutout-button and unmark "Use weeding frame". Then before you save your design in Inkscape, you simply add a rectangle around your design if you want a frame around it.

That should solve the problem and you can desibe by yourself how long distance you want between your design and the rectangle around it.

Regards,

Therese Löfström

Can you just create a rectangle around your design and turn off weeding options? That way you can create as much or little as you want.