point blank design

Old School sign guy with new SC & lost!

Hello all, Jonathan here from New Mexico.

I am an old school sign guy who started by painting signs back in the day, bumped up to a Gerber & then took a long break. I have a degree in visual arts/ graphic design & have been using Adobe products for years. We wanted to get signs for our new business & figured it was just less expensive to buy a plotter & do them myself.

I recently purchased the SC 34" plotter for our new mercantile business we just opened. I am gearing up to do all the signs & have not even made it past step one. When I try to open SignCut on my Mac I get "SignCut quit unexpectantly". Not a good feeling, I really do not have the time to try to figure out what the problem is, I need signs! SO I am here asking for any help....

I was hoping to at least do some simple graphics to test this new plotter today but hmmmm.

I am using a Macbook Pro, OS X 10.7.3.

I want to import art from Illustrator.

Can anyone give me a hand & help me to figure out what the problem is?

I downloaded SignCut twice only to get the same error.

Another thing I do not understand is there are no instructions that I found on how to do anything with the plotter - from simply installing the blade to how to import art & setting the blade depth. How does one who has no idea how to use the SC get the knowledge to run it!?

*Cornfused for sure*

Thanks, Jonathan

Welcome to the forum.

Read a lot and youll learn a lot. Theres lots of help here!

Take a look around here

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/39

and here

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List

Dont forget the search button. A lot of questions have already been answered. But dont be afraid to ask again.

Hi Jonathan, glad to have you here.

Blade depth will be very, very shallow, almost imperceptibly sticking out of the holder.

I have my SC set for 5g.

Does your macintosh run in Windows emulation mode? If so, try SignBlazer (The SC is a Liyu machine, so use that driver).

If you don't already have one, get a keypspan adapter.. start here

http://start.uscutter.com/

If you don't already have one, get a keypspan adapter.. start here

http://start.uscutter.com/

What is a keyspn adapter? Says on google search it is an adapter for a serial conection... Why would I use this when the plotter came with a usb cable? I did go thru the forums & found the same page you linked to for startup. Got the plotter to the test stage but haven't gotten to the point of sending artwork yet.

I am a newbie with this plotter & plotters in general. Questions:

The signcut software download, what exactly is this for?

I got a copy of Flexi with the plotter, is this for design or just for sending art to the plotter?

What do I use to send my Illustrator files to the plotter?

Thanks all so far...I am determined to get something cut today!!

even with a PC it is best to have serial cable or keyspan adapter , just a better connection, Here is an example of keyspan It is from an EBAY ad, but can be purchase at UScutter also.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c0999baa2

You have Flexistarter, which is just cutting software. Save a vector file from illustrator and import into Flexistarter. Size it up in design central, click cut/plot send to cutter.

"Save a file from illustrator and import into Flexistarter. Size it up, send to cutter."

Thanks Skeeter, if they would just put in some cheatsheets when shipping these plotters it would save a heck of a lot of time & research for newbies like myself to understand the steps needed to use one....

Thanks for the ebay link. This will work in the meantime correct? Just a little slower maybe?

"Does your macintosh run in Windows emulation mode? If so, try SignBlazer (The SC is a Liyu machine, so use that driver)."

Honestly I cannot answer that. Anyway of checking & what is emulation mode?

Thanks all!

Hi Jonathan, glad to have you here.

Blade depth will be very, very shallow, almost imperceptibly sticking out of the holder.

I have my SC set for 5g.

I set mine according to the manual (12g) & was able to cut the machine test square/diamond, only had to adjust the blade depth once so far.

Hello and welcome . with your blade holder out of the machine hold it in your hand and drag across a scrape pc of vinyl with plenty of force you should just cut through the vinyl and barley mark not cut the wax paper backer after reinstalling it in your cutter try a test before doing a large cut to keep from wasting material . the keyspan is a more stable connection on the value cutters with better results good luck

Dan

Hello and welcome . with your blade holder out of the machine hold it in your hand and drag across a scrape pc of vinyl with plenty of force you should just cut through the vinyl and barley mark not cut the wax paper backer after reinstalling it in your cutter try a test before doing a large cut to keep from wasting material . the keyspan is a more stable connection on the value cutters with better results good luck

Dan

thanks for writing that Dan,, about the blade holder. I get a little tired of writing all that out.. LOL

• Like 2

Where are we at in this thread?

1. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mac+windows+emulation+software+free

2. USB should work on the SC, anyway that is not related to the crash of the SignCut software.

3. Flexi (starter) is functional on the mac and gets the cutter to operate, is that right?

4. Not all "art" from Illustrator is cuttable.

I went ahead & purchsed the keyspan adapter, thanks Skeeter...

OK... another issue. I registered Flexi 10 & am now trying to install the software but... I cannot find an icon for installing??! I am very capable on the puter but am now at the point of clueless. What the h*ll am I missing?

The instructions simply say "Click on the install icon". I click on the installation icon & get a chinese read me file... nothing executable...

Where are we at in this thread?

1. http://lmgtfy.com/?q...n+software+free

2. USB should work on the SC, anyway that is not related to the crash of the SignCut software.

3. Flexi (starter) is functional on the mac and gets the cutter to operate, is that right?

4. Not all "art" from Illustrator is cuttable.

I will not be using the SignCut software, cannot get it to open even if I wanted to use it....

I am still not understanding why i would want the Windows emulator?? Is this not a Mac compatible program? Cool link tho...

I am not able to get the Flexi software to install...

What art is not cuttable? If it is vector line art it should cut correct?

thanks!!

If you keep having trouble call support Mon. Morning and maybe they can do a remote trouble shooting or walk you through set up worth a shot anyway .

Dan

thanks for writing that Dan,, about the blade holder. I get a little tired of writing all that out.. LOL

Yeah John probably should make a sticky of it one of the mistakes a newbie makes right off .

Dan

Actually UScutter has it on their website and here. http://start.uscutter.com/sc

but it is different, Not how I would do it. LOL

https://dl.dropbox.c...Blade_Setup.pdf

The SC install guide with the driver download for Mac OS does not help with Flexi. I already did the driver install. What floors me is that they sent a copy of Flexi 10 starter with the plotter that is not Mac compatible & I am not going to spend an additional $360 for Flexi 8.5... Can anyone recommend a Free Windows Emulation download that works (with link)? I have boot camp on my system but am not going to partition the hard drive... I am frustrated, have been working on this since 10am, 7 hours.... You guys have been a big help so far!

actually you can purchase the Mac version cheaper on EBAY... Flexi has not updated MAC since 8.6 ... USCUTTER has to sell Flexi at the FLEXI prices to keep a dealership. Regular Flexistarter10 also got booted up to $395. at Uscutter. site but can be purchased cheaper. on EBAY..

Let us know how everything works out for you.

By the way, to bypass any issues with a USB connection, my solution was to just buy a cheapo older Dell desktop with the serial port, and dedicate that machine to my SC.

Cost for the Dell (with monitor, keyboard and mouse) was $75.

Haven't had even the slightest glitch, in hundreds of cuts.

Let us know how everything works out for you.

By the way, to bypass any issues with a USB connection, my solution was to just buy a cheapo older Dell desktop with the serial port, and dedicate that machine to my SC.

Cost for the Dell (with monitor, keyboard and mouse) was $75.

Haven't had even the slightest glitch, in hundreds of cuts.

I will....

You are reading my mind or vice-versa. If the Mac doesn't pan out with the downloads I have a large touchscreen HP at the cabin I am thinking of bringing to the shop just for the SC.... I am just too used to the Mac & I hate going back to a PC but hey, I guess I will just have to suffer a little! LOL.

As far as the free download emulation programs - nothing worked for me, I tried quite a few with no luck. I installed Flexi10 on my PC & ran into many problems - turns out my CD is defective. I chose to download the 775MB program online & it took 8.5 hours! Holy crap, & then the USB key wouldn't work, & more followed but I am not going to dwell.

I am at the point I have my first tshirt design ready to cut, thought I would start small & easy.

I am finally at the point of trying to send art to the plotter. I am using Illustrator to Flexi10 on my PC & am having troubles. First Flexi asks for make & model of plotter. I choose USCutter & get model choices that do not match my SC 34" cutter. Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?? LOL

Following options are:

Copam CP2500 thru CP4500

Creation PCUT CTN1200 thru Creation PCUT CTN900

Laserpoint 24, 36 & 48

MH-1351, 365, 721 & 871

US Cutter ZenCut Black 24" thru ZenCut Green 52"

Not given much choice I chose Laserpoint 36....

Anyone have any idea what selection I could use? I am clueless

By the way I am using the forums to try to answer my questions - took care of a few but still struggling... I am now realizing I am having driver problems as my PC is not recognizing the plotter.

Ok... I have been trying to download a usable version of Sign Blazer with no luck. Of course the majority of links were found within these walls but I am striking out. Could someone get me going in the right direction? I REAALLY need to get some vinyl cut for our new business & am having crazy trouble. Some problems I am sure is me but I cannot get a cut program to work... Help?

It sounds like you are getting a few gray hairs.

This link provides a download of the UK version, which will have the Liyu HF1202 driver that you need.

To get the download to work correctly, use JZip to expand the archive, then you'll need MagicISO to mount the volumes, and then run BOTH the SignBlazer installers (first the non-UK version, and then the UK version) and then apply the crack.

http://www.mystat.com/Signblazer.zip

USCutter has the following note on the SC Cutters:

NOTE: SC Series no longer requires Seral-USB Keyspan Adapter for both MAC and Win. users. Select "No, thanks".

Also Mac software available at http://start.uscutter.com/sc