arfdltr6

Reflective Vinyl

I was asked to put in a bid to letter a fire truck. They want it done in whie reflective. I have no experience working with reflective. Would I need to have a different cutting blade to cut the lettering? Would I apply it the same way As calender vinyl? What kind of reflective vinyl would I need. How do I price the job.

Thanks

You could use the same blade. Reflective is hard on blades though. Apply the same way except DO NOT use wet application for reflective. Type of reflective will problably depend on the department requirements.

reflective just cost more and is a pain to weed it rips very easy also since it is thicker you will need to use more pressure when cutting it out.

60 degree blades are recommended for cutting reflective because of the thickness. You will also have to have more blade sticking out and more

pressure. You will probably also need to use a high tack transfer tape, I used a medium tack on some Avery brand reflective vinyl and it wouldn't

stick to it very well.

As for blade 60* and slow down your speed you'll get a smoother cut. I dip my blades in DuPont Dry Film Teflon and it help allot with Scotchcal. Also if you don't want to play with pressure just do two passes. You'll also need to seal the edge... I always hand painted a black outline and drop shadow on Firetrucks. This sealed the edge and kept the classic look. You could do the same by cutting a mask and using 1shot and some patents. If you don't feel up to that at least get a seal pen. You can get reflective by the foot from H&H Sign Supply http://www.hhsignsupply.com . I've not had issue doing a lite mist of water with a drop or two of soap when applying reflective... you do want a sleeve or to cover the graphic with the waxy side of the carrier so you don't mar the surface while working it.

You'll also need to seal the edge... I always hand painted a black outline and drop shadow on Firetrucks. This sealed the edge and kept the classic look. You could do the same by cutting a mask and using 1shot and some patents. If you don't feel up to that at least get a seal pen. You can get reflective by the foot from H&H Sign Supply http://www.hhsignsupply.com . I've not had issue doing a lite mist of water with a drop or two of soap when applying reflective... you do want a sleeve or to cover the graphic with the waxy side of the carrier so you don't mar the surface while working it.

Have you ever tried using black vinyl layed on top of the reflective to get the same appearance? It seems that it would accomplish the same thing but be easier for those of us with no painting skills.

Have you ever tried using black vinyl layed on top of the reflective to get the same appearance? It seems that it would accomplish the same thing but be easier for those of us with no painting skills.

Well I'm sure you could... but you should or I should say I would cut the reflective lettering welded with outline and shadow then layer the outline and shade on top. Why you may ask.? As you know reflective is thicker and will make a very noticeable ridge around the letter that will also be a failure point.... so with the weld and negative weed you get everything on one plan and looks better. But you still need to seal the edge with a pen sealer... so for the quill challenged that how I'd do it. ;)