SmallSigns

Review of USCutter vinyl

I finally got around to making a banner using the vinyl I got from USCutter -- now my thoughts on this vinyl.

I purchased this roll of vinyl about a month ago with the intention of making a banner for our storage facility. The first problem I found is that the vinyl is on a small roll -- 1 3/4" as opposed to the 3" I am used to. This caused the vinyl to be difficult to work with, but I managed to get my that issue. I would give it a 3 for storeability. (Due to the small roll)

Cutting the vinyl required more pressure (110) as opposed to the 85 that I normally use - this vinyl is thicker then the Oracal and Avery I have been using. Maybe it will last longer outside. I would give it an 8 for cutability.

Weeding was a chore - even though I was using very large text weeding was still a pain -- I would give it a 5 for weedability.

The adhesion was GREAT!! This stuff sticks fantastic -- I don't think I will have a problem with it coming apart -- a 10 for adhesability!!!

Overall -- Once you get the pressure adjusted properly and work the curl out of it this stuff is pretty good. I will give it another shot on my next project  -- Thanks USCutter.

If you put this stuff on a 3" roll you will have a more usable product -- just my .02 

Sorry to say I had the total opposite experience with my USCUTTER vinyl. I have only tried the roll of white (plan on trying the black and red tomorrow) and it is terrible. The vinyl hardly sticks to its backing as im weeding sections of vinyl are sliding around totally loose from the backing. Looking at the roll I can see spots in the roll where the vinyl is not even attached to the backing. When it cuts it leaves little balls for a lack of a better word as you look at the vinyl on an even plain you see almost like little hairs where it cut. I ran my Oracal 651 and had none of these problems the Oracal worked great so I know it

I went back and attempted to cut some smaller items and it failed.  :o

I had the same problems you did with the backing.

I guess it will only work for larger projects - for the banner the smallest I cut was 5" tall and 6' long.

Sorry if I misled anyone on this.  :rolleyes:

Sorry USCutter - I now have to back down my ratings.  :angry:

When you get other vinyls in I will order again, but unless I have another large product I will not be ordering from you.

The thickness is not the problem -- it doesn't stick to the backing paper at all. Makes it impossible to weed smaller objects.

I will keep what I have for larger projects, but for all the rest I will use Orical or Avery (yuck)

glad to know im not the only one that hates working with avery.... just ordered 6 rolls of oracal  :huh:

How does the frosted roll test out?  I was thinking about ording this pack just to get the frost... as the cost for frost seems to be super high just by itself. Cheapest I could find was Avery Etchmark at $33 for 10 feet.  (=10 yds @ 99.50)  Not including shipping.

The whole sample pack was only $25 I believe....  So it would be an excellent buy if only for the frost. 

Any reviews?

I've used just about every brand and type of vinyl there is. I"ve never had any that I couldn't use with the right adjustments to the cutter and a little patience. I don't expect vinyl that I get cheaply to perform as well as the expensive stuff. That's just common sense.

I also don't use cheap vinyl on vehicle graphics or outdoor long term signage. By the same reasoning, I don't use expensive vinyl for a 3-day  or one time use banner. That would just be plain stupid. People like my prices and I stay busy ( not a day off in over 2 years) because I adjust my prices according to the customer's needs and my expenses.

I don't have unreasonable expectations and I know that most of the time,I get what I pay for. I have used vinyl that does what the US Cutter vinyl does..with great success...for the APPROPRIATE applications. I have used vinyl from a place in Florida that has been absolutely slammed in these forums. Even called shelf lining (which it is NOT). It was somewhat hard to cut until I adjusted my settings. It did tend to pull off the backing paper occasionally. But once I started applying it to a banner,it worked beautifully,looked great,and have not had a single call-back or complaint.If vinyl doesn't do well with tiny cuts, I use it for large cuts.

In short,don't expect vinyl that is $1 a yard to be like Oracal. Sometimes it doesn't work great,sometimes you have to put a little effort into it. With competition as stiff as it is, I have to keep my prices as low as possible. I'm not the only game in town by any means. I save where I can but am careful about what I use and how.

And for the record, I love working with Avery...Oracal is my least favorite and I have a 10 yard roll gathering dust. I would venture to say that there probably isn't anyone on these forums who goes through more vinyl than I do in the average week.

To each his own.Or her own.

So far i've use oracal and avery and I like them both. 

Well agreed BannerJohn on the expectations factor.  I don't really expect the econo to perform miracles... just wondering if the frost cut out ok, and stuck. 

A little follow up ---

The USCutter vinyl that I used for the banner is holding up very well so far. It has been out exposed to the Southern California sun and the high winds of the valley here and no problems.

I would recommend the vinyl for larger projects, but the smaller stuff is the problem as the vinyl does not stick to the backing and creates problems while cutting and weeding.

As far as the frost -- it actually worked much better. I did a bunch of small decals for a figure skating club and they have re-ordered more of them. They were a BIG hit! The vinyl seemed to adhere to the backing much better then the solid colors.

One other problem I ran across is that the vinyl is on too small a roll -- has a tendency to curl bad, but did not cause channeling - yet.

All in all -- I give it a 4 out of 10 -- not my favorite, but not "shelf lining". With the right project I would order it again.

Wow, I just had 8 rolls of the uscutter vinyl in my shopping cart. Just emptyed it. I guess I should stick with oracal. After reading the reviews. Thanks everyone.

I did the same as some of you did and purchased the lower cost vinyl to build up a little inventory. I'm starting my own business on a shoe string budget as well. The veteran people will know what I mean. The lower cost vinyl is similar to cutting with a worn blade. It tales a lot of patience. So far I'm happy with it.

when I first started my busness,TIME was one thing I had plenty of.A few extra minutes cutting and weeding didn't matter compared to the money I saved by using low cost vinyl. The one thing I DID discover was that the low cost stuff might be hard to work with,but it looks just as good and lasts just as long once applied.

The worst I ever worked with had the strongest adhesive of any I ever used,and applied wet like a dream.

There wil always be those who think that the more something costs,the better it is. This is not always the case. Personally, I think Oracal is some of the worst vinyl I've ever worked with,at the highest price.

Guest fivestar

LOL John......Did you get free vinyl with your cutter?  Believe me if you didn't, you missed out on the worst vinyl there ever was.  BTW, Oracal is the BEST VINYL I ever worked with.  Try cutting a script font about 1/8" tall with white FDC.