ecto1

You guessed it, Mh 721 cutting problems..

Hello all I have read through many of the discussions and I feel like I am beating a dead horse by posting this but here it is... So my setup is Macbook Pro running Lion, using SignCut. Cutter is attached via keyspan adapter. Heres the issues I'm having: I have been trying to cut some basic text 4 words long totaling 3ft long by 7in tall. First time it got through the first two words, cut the first letter of the third word and skipped to the last letter of the word while dragging the blade the entire time. Try two: same thing but got two letters into the third word and left the blade down and fed through about 3 yards of vinyl with the blade down before I noticed. So I figured I would try to break it up into 3 sections and cut them seperately. cut the first 2 words in the first go, cut the third word next round then on the 4th word it cut roughly half of each later then dragged the blade to the next letter which resulted in a bunch of lines across everything. I also recreated the EPS file thinking I may have done something wrong but same thing. So i shortened it down to 1 ft long and it cut fine. Cutter is less than 2 weeks old, I did not ground it initially. When I got it, I was cutting small decals and never had a problem but reading everything on here told me it was a good idea so i went ahead and did it, made sure to scrape off the paint so it makes a metal to metal connection. Unit was grounded prior to running into these issues. Any tips or other ideas? everything seems to work fine if I keep it under roughly 14 inches (biggest I have cut without this happening.)

Thanks Everyone!

Wanna post the file you're using? Could be either a static issue or artwork. Try running the file with no blade holder, also try a pen tool on paper.

Have you tired turning the cutter off and back on between cuts? Then you are dumping the data from the previous cut. Those cutters are short on memory. Also, could try wiping your vinyl with a dryer sheet. Good luck..

Thanks for the help! I will try it with the pen in the morning. Also do I need to leave it off for a certain length of time for it to dump the memory?

If you have access to PC try cutting it on the PC running a windows platform using the USB cable. I had the same exact problem as you (even with the mac, but I have a MH 871) and cutting it on the PC w/out key span worked a lot better.

I have a font, called Ravie, the bottom of the capital "H" - NEVER closes when using the font, so I have to manually go in and alter it regardless.

Sometimes fonts are just junk or corrupt and can cause this and no matter how many times you rebuild it- the same will happen. That or static buildup are both viable options. Also which keyspan are you using? Not all of them are created equal.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I have tried every possible configuration and I an still getting the same results >:( Found an old PC, installed sign blazer and I'm getting the same results with that, doesn't matter the file font etc, if its anywhere close to 12" or if it takes 30 seconds or longer to cut, it will cut random lines. I also cut the vinyl down to the size needed for the image, rubbed it down with a dryer sheet and still got random lines. Just sent a message to USCutter. I will keep everyone posted, hopefully my findings will help someone, I see there are 2 or 3 other people on here that got theirs around the same time I did and they are having the exact same issues. I'm still open to any more suggestions anyone may have. Thanks!

Well thanks to USCutter support, i'm back up and running better than ever. They had me switch the baud rate to 4800 on the cutter and computer and it now cuts perfectly. Hope this info helps someone. Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhh, the old "lower the Baud Rate" trick !!!! Of course !!!!!!!!!!

Two lessons from this thread:

1. US CUTTER Support is doing their usual terrific job.

2. Giving those fine people at USCutter a call when first encountering a problem will eliminate some headaches in trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks for offering the update with your resolution, ecto1, it's always nice to see a problem solved.

• Like 1