Sign in to follow this  
kelliann

Grommets in Corrugated Boards

I needed to add grommets to some corrugated plastic boards so they would have some extra strength. Since I hadn't done this before, I grabbed a scrap of material to try it out. I used both #4 and #6 grommets. They went through the corrugated plastic easily. I found with my #6 grommets that if I turned the flat part of the grommet upside down in my press, the grommet fit snuggly together. The first one I tried, the grommet back wiggled after application. I tried it both ways with the #4 grommet, and there was no difference.

post-21592-0-47704100-1340130012.jpg

Did you pre-punch holes through the material first, or does your press do that for you along with the grommet insertion?

I have to punch holes, and then put the grommets in.

I did NOT pre-punch the holes for either of the sizes. I usually pre-punch for my banners, but I was experimenting on this piece, so I didn't.

Silly me, I never thought of just placing the grommet halves into each part of the die (top and bottom) and pushing the handle, letting the pressure action create the hole. Lo and behold, it works!

Thanks for the tip.

post-21408-0-26930700-1340133330.jpg

post-21408-0-85896900-1340133335.jpg

• Like 1

Most grommets these days are self-piercing. Something for which I am VERY thankful!

yeah, well, I never got the memo. :rolleyes:

I can certainly understand. They used to be labeled 'self-piercing' but now they don't even do that.