Sign in to follow this  
han7681

why i cant merge ?

hi

thanks for answer..

but can you explain how to weld?

i tried to expand , but cant press the expand button in pathfinder.

thanks

I dont know what pathfinder is. I use corel draw. All vector drawing programs can do it but have different names for it.

I don't know what version of AI you are running and things are a little different in each version, although most main features are available in all just named different or in different places. (I run CS5) You are having problems with this one because it has a bunch of clipping paths. If you go into the layers menu and start clicking on the little arrows it will pull down the items within each item, sort of a sub-menu. You will see clipping paths which you can also tell you have by the big bounding box that shows up when you select an item. You need to remove the offending clipping paths until you have just the outline of the object showing up when you select it. Then of course select the multiple items you want to merge or unite and it will work.

I try to use unite when possible because merge will also create new objects in any open hole in compound paths which you won't see because they don't have color until you cut them on your cutter and it double cuts everything. At least thats how SignCut works.

Sorry for the 600 page novel. Remeber you can always undo if you mess up. Keep playing around and you'll figure it out.

• Like 1

Clipping Paths can ruin your Illustrator Artwork if you don't know what your doing. Typically, you get these clipping paths when opening a file that is a newer version than the version of Illustrator you are running.

You can always unclip everything, but you may be able to go to your Object menu: Object -> Expand (submenu) and click Expand to simplif your shape, then go and ungroup all of your shapes and then weld them using the Pathfinder Tools (Weld Tool specifically).