Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Source for vehicle window dimensions?

I'm trying to find a free/cheap source for vehicle glass dimensions. I have a request to cut a memorial decal to go across the top of the windshield of a 1997 Chevy Astro van for a client a couple of counties away. I just don't have the time* to drive over there to measure it and she doesn't have any way to measure it herself.

I tried searching and found plenty of CDs/DVDs for sale for window tinting, but I don't need that much information, just an idea of how long it should be to fill up most of the tinted part at the top, and approximately how tall it can be.

Does anyone know where I can find this information without having to buy an extensive library of window sizes?

*My co-worker at my "real" job is on medical leave so I'm working her shifts + my usual shifts = 10 hours a day for 6 days at a time with 1 day off...

I noticed that the link (kindly provided in that other thread by the good Dr.12V) will offer the REAR WINDOW measurements, while the request here was for a Front windshield (across the top).

I happen to own a 2000 Astro, which is the same as the '97.

The front windshield dimensions are as follows:

Across: 55" (edge to edge)

Area along top, 4" or 5" (will not extend below rearview mirror position)

post-21408-0-50274000-1340134617.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks to both of you! Saves me time and gas!

Y-W.

Don't forget there is a bit of curvature, and to compensate, you can very slightly arc the text counterclockwise (text below the radius) -- maybe 800-or-1000 radius (in SignBlazer, that seems to be just enough, more or less)

text_arc_ex_07.png

• Like 1

My mistake the one I posted is only for rear glass.... I have another one bookmarked on my laptop that is all the glass I will post later when I get home OOOooopsss. :-\:blink:

• Like 1

Y-W.

Don't forget there is a bit of curvature, and to compensate, you can very slightly arc the text counterclockwise (text below the radius) -- maybe 800-or-1000 radius (in SignBlazer, that seems to be just enough, more or less)

text_arc_ex_07.png

Doh... I knew there had to be an easier way to compensate - I've been doing it the hard way for when I cut stencils to etch onto tapered glasses... two, Two, TWO lessons learned in one thread! I love this forum!

On 6/19/2012 at 5:15 PM, Dr12volt1338 said:

My mistake the one I posted is only for rear glass.... I have another one bookmarked on my laptop that is all the glass I will post later when I get home OOOooopsss. :-\:blink:

Did you ever find this link? Ive been search for one everywhere

This thread is nearly a decade old. What are you seeking Lizann? Explain your needs, specifically. Perhaps someone can assist, and I can guarantee it ain't gonna be Dr12Volt --  his last visit here was in 2016.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lizann213 said:

Did you ever find this link? Ive been search for one everywhere

spamming same question in different locations won't help with the answer - appears you are looking for something for nothing and you won't find current data that way - slice pointed to software with what you are looking for in your other thread.  further asking the same question in old threads will just result in those post being deleted by the moderation crew.

it appears to me  that you are connected to a window tint shop - does your specialty window tint software not have that database?

5 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

spamming same question in different locations won't help with the answer - appears you are looking for something for nothing and you won't find current data that way - slice pointed to software with what you are looking for in your other thread.  further asking the same question in old threads will just result in those post being deleted by the moderation crew.

it appears to me  that you are connected to a window tint shop - does your specialty window tint software not have that database?

I literally asked a question on one post & made my own post, that is far from spamming. I came here to ask a question, in hopes maybe someone else had a better idea than me. 

So Sorry will defiantly be the last time. 

lizanne, the moderator you are replying to perhaps used the wrong term 'spamming' because he encounters people coming in here almost daily with the intention of posting nonsense and resurrecting old threads without any real need to do so.

So, your question was answered? Maybe just say "thank you" and move on....  "definitely" you dont need to do that, but it would have been the proper course of action, IMHO.

• Like 1

Thanks slice - yes I came off wrong but we get people all the time that post the same question in 3-4 places looking for a response and the main people (volunteers)  that respond look at each message that is "new" - sorry I offended you