SurberSigns

how do i apply double layers of vinyl?

i have yet had the chance to make a double layered or double colored vinyl... i want to make the bottom part WHITE that says TEAM FAMILIA and i want to cut out the SAME exact and lay it on top so you see the red and just the edges of the white...

how do i apply double layers like that?? i tried messing with it last night but after i get the correct size for the first one i dont know what size to make the second.

You have to layout the first one, do an offset for the second. Search Youtube. Plenty of tutorials there,

Mark

Search for "registration marks" and you'll be headed in the right direction.

I looked at those youtube search results and honestly, they aren't that useful from a strictly "instructional" viewpoint.

It's strange to see this type of request here from flaboy, since he is employed at a sign shop, and could just ask the graphic designer at his workplace how to go about it.

I looked at those youtube search results and honestly, they aren't that useful from a strictly "instructional" viewpoint.

But they should get him "headed in the right direction" at least

i just started working there about a week... i dont tell them i cut vinyl and have a 'business'. they know i have a plotter but im shy still im laying low for a bit lol

but check this out...

i KNOW how to like apply it just like this video ^^ BUT..... say i make both layers are they going to be the SAME size??? like if the sticker is 7 inches by 2 inches.... do i make the other color 7 inches by 2 inches??

Help, my computer just messed up, I cannot read the last post. All the letters are all miss arranged.

Help, my computer just messed up, I cannot read the last post. All the letters are all miss arranged.

lol ........... my eyes went straight to the word "bondage" Hmmmmmmmmm > :ph34r:

sorry for hijacking, I couldn't resist... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1) layout the letters/shape you want on top.

2) Apply an outline to the shape from step 1 - in Corel Draw this called a Contour, your software may call it something else

3) separate the outline from the shape - in Corel Draw this is done by selecting Break Contour Group Apart from the Arrange menu - your software will vary

4) place registration marks outside of your design - i usually place two bold plus (+) symbols along the bottom edge as I have better luck with those than with the ordinary registration marks

5) Cut the two parts out of different colors of vinyl -- weed and pick each. Be sure that registration marks are cut on each color.

6) Use application tape to cover and pick up the TOP layer and remove it from it's liner.

7) Use your registration marks to align the app tape with the BOTTOM later and press it into place.

B) Voila.

If you're using other software, hopefully someone familiar with it can direct you.

Sorry I should have not joked about post #9. I have reported it to moderator.

i just started working there about a week... i dont tell them i cut vinyl and have a 'business'. they know i have a plotter but im shy still im laying low for a bit lol

Did you skip over my very important posting in your thread that you began after you obtained that job?

http://forum.uscutte...post__p__279577

FlaBoy, take this in the spirit intended :

Look at it this way -- You are being paid a salary to assist in making signs and decals which is the primary income-producer for your employer. He opened his business in order to earn money to keep his shop viable, and to pay your salary.

When you are offered a job on the outside, as part of YOUR business (a 'business' that is essentially a pirate, under-the-table operation out of your basement or garage) then you are doing work that is competing with your employer, who COULD be performing that work in his shop.

The mere fact that you are avoiding discussing this in an open manner with him ("still im laying low for a bit lol") shows that you are somewhat reluctant to be told "NO, that's unacceptable..."

This is an ETHICS issue.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethics

Search for "registration marks" and you'll be headed in the right direction.

I can see you are one to have a high turnover rate in your business with how you post on here to everyone about ethics, yet you are failing in that department. The only people that are against moonlighting are the ones that are insecure of their abilities in the business realm. We have a constitution of the United States that allows people to work for someone and also do their own work on the side. So what... the work could go to who he works for, if he does it on his own he will make a lot more money than sending it to the other company. That isn't rocket science. No one can stop anyone from making an income as long as it is not illeagal. He has the right to not talk about the moonlighting due to people that want to cry about it and fire them for it. We all have families to take care of and working for someone doesn't make the bills most of the time. We hire people to help us with our work, not to dictate the amount of money they need to provide for themselves and for their family. You might want to think about the concept of ETHICS before you bash others. ETHICS is a two way street. Remember WWJD slice n' dice ;)

As for the registration concept. tha tis hard since what works for some doesn't work for others. I have used crop marks, but I find them to be a pain. I eyeball mostly, but with something that is intricate then use measurements and break it down to smaller portions. That is how we do banners and it seems to work fine. There are ways to mark your work and substrate that will clean off without leaving residue. We use masking tape when we measure out and mark the tape, then we peel the tape off.