bluepotpie

Contour cutting with 48" Laserpoint?

I've got a 48" Laserpoint cutter that has done me well for cutting thus far. I'm currently using FlexisignPro v8.1 and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd like to start cutting printed vinyl (contour cutting) but I'm not sure where to start. The boys over at Flexi told me that I had to chew off my legs and one arm and send said limbs to them in order to get the newer version (v10) in order to do this. Not happening. I read somewhere that there was a way to trick one of the free softwares into working with the Laserpoint but I can't find that and don't know if it'll work anyway.

My question is this... What do I need to do/get to be able to get my machine to contour cut without taking out a loan to do it?

Also, if it matters I'm running Win7 32-bit.

FROM USCUTTER support

Knowledgebase: LaserPoint Information

Contour cutting with SignBlazer

Posted by - NA - on 19 September 2008 02:02 PM Contour Cutting with SignBlazer and the LaserPoint

1. Select your vectorized graphic in Signblazer, then go to manipulate and click on Expand/Outline/Inline. Select Outline, and make sure Keep Original is the only option checked. Set the Offset to 0.00, and then choose the thickness of the contour line (how far away from the graphic you want the contour line to be). I use 0.40 for most testing, but it can be set to whatever you want. Click OK.

2. Now that your contour line has been created, you will need to select the contour line (not the whole graphic), then go back to Manipulate, and then click on Cut Mask On/ Off.

3. Click File, then Print. Go to Regist., and select the bottom two corner marks. Click OK. Click Fit and then click Scale 1 to 1. Now Print.

4. Get the document from your printer and load it in the LaserPoint cutter with the registration marks at the front just barely sticking out to the cutting strip.

5. Click Finish. Now go to File, then click Cut a Print. Click Cut. Use the onscreen buttons with your mouse, or the keyboard number pad to jog the laser to the right side registration mark. Once it is in the middle of the right mark, click Next. Now jog the laser to the middle of the left registration mark, and click Next.

6. Now click Cut, and the LaserPoint should start cutting the contour you created around your graphic. If it is out of alignment, you can adjust the Redeye offset values for the X or Y axis. It may take a few runs to get it dialed in.

Signblazer can be downloaded right here on the forum, from the SIGNBLAZER thread,, and is an unlimited FREE trial. and welcome from Indiana

I had been using Signblazer before getting Flexi. I had a lot of errors and cuts that would suddenly stop in the middle of the job. That's why I switched. I'll try it out again with a clean install. Thanks for the reply!

if your using USB on your laser point/computer, get a keyspan adapter or put it on serial cable. That is the best way to go.

if your using USB on your laser point/computer, get a keyspan adapter or put it on serial cable. That is the best way to go.

I think the keyspan is based on the Prolific chip, which has known reliability problems on newer computers. I'd rather use a FTDI based chipset. Either way, I'll try using a USB-serial adapter.

Thanks!