OWJones

Does Greenstar White Vinyl Always Have White Backing/Liner?

I bought a 50 yard roll of 24" white Greenstar vinyl, and although I've had no problems with the vinyl itself, trying to weed white vinyl from a white background is making me go cross-eyed! :blink:

Other brands (Oracal and EnduraGloss) of white vinyl I've used have always come on a light blue liner, and so I was surprised/disappointed to see this.

Not only does it make weeding/picking a chore, but when you put a paper app tape over, it basically disappears - you have to hold it up to the light to see that there is even a decal hiding inside. Clear app tape is only slightly better, as you can usually see the air trapped around the edge of the decal, so there is a tiny bit of contrast...

I cut a large white decal the other night for a customer and didn't have clear tape wide enough and used paper instead - It was a white deer head with black eyes and nose and all you could see was the small black pieces until you held it up to the light - plus it was impossible to layer without backlighting it because it's hard to see white on white through a piece of paper tape...

Does anyone know if it always comes that way, because if so, I'll never order white Greenstar again. Like I said, the vinyl is fine, it cuts fine, weeds fine, sticks fine, etc. but without any sort of contrast it makes it difficult to see and display. I'm very happy with all the other colors of Greenstar that I've used.

a trick one of our older members once posted that I use...fill and old sock with some of the blue chalk that you use for the chalk line snappers. Rub it over the vinyl and the weeding lines pop right up as blue. It works great. I think a bottle of te blue chalk at Lowes was a few dollars or so.

• Like 2

a trick one of our older members once posted that I use...fill and old sock with some of the blue chalk that you use for the chalk line snappers. Rub it over the vinyl and the weeding lines pop right up as blue. It works great. I think a bottle of te blue chalk at Lowes was a few dollars or so.

nice tip man have to try that .

I would just worry about over-application here- if any blue chalk got onto the adhesive inadvertantly it would, in theory, reduce the adhesive's ability to stick properly.

I would just worry about over-application here- if any blue chalk got onto the adhesive inadvertantly it would, in theory, reduce the adhesive's ability to stick properly.

that's what the sock is for. Just a tiny bit gets out. I've been using the trick for about 6 years and never a problem.

good tip. going to try it out since i work with greenstar white alot