SurberSigns

how to price banners?

I have nothing personal against anyone.

I mentioned paying that price for a wholesale banner was outrageous. From then on I am trying to explain why its better to go to a outfit and pay 26 dollars rather than 80. But that is fine. I will do my best to zip my lip. But these places that sell "wholesale" at reduced retail pricing is just outrageous in my mind.

Anything pricing related I should just be banned from cause I do not agree with most.

Sorry if I offended and really nothing personal. I would hug you all if I could.

And really I hate using numbers on here cause every customer can look at this and alot do. Thats why most of the time I am vauge and seem to not be specific.

• Like 1

You can take it from here,Rodger. My head is spinning.

And USCUTTER is a material and supply house, they offer not 1 printed wholesale or retail product that I know of.

I don't understand that .... USCutter is selling to end users , so that makes them as retail as can be defined . I don't think many if anybody buys any cutters , printers , vinyl or any other supply/material to resell ?? They buy either equipment to use or material to make what they themselves sell . USCutter sells cheaper than anybody ... so that meets what i consider the intent of " wholesale ' pricewise .

I don't understand that .... USCutter is selling to end users , so that makes them as retail as can be defined . I don't think many if anybody buys any cutters , printers , vinyl or any other supply/material to resell ?? They buy either equipment to use or material to make what they themselves sell . USCutter sells cheaper than anybody ... so that meets what i consider the intent of " wholesale ' pricewise .

USCUTTER does not offer any retail or wholesale to the trade services. This whole conversation it about outsourcing services (printing banners specifically) and USCUTTER does not fit into this at all. They offer materials and equipment.

I have nothing personal against anyone.

I mentioned paying that price for a wholesale banner was outrageous. From then on I am trying to explain why its better to go to a outfit and pay 26 dollars rather than 80. But that is fine. I will do my best to zip my lip. But these places that sell "wholesale" at reduced retail pricing is just outrageous in my mind.

Anything pricing related I should just be banned from cause I do not agree with most.

Sorry if I offended and really nothing personal. I would hug you all if I could.

And really I hate using numbers on here cause every customer can look at this and alot do. Thats why most of the time I am vauge and seem to not be specific.

:lol:, I would hug ya back !! I enjoy discussing , even if it is disagreeing ( like I had to prequalify that !!! :) ) . I try to not even read the threads asking " what to charge " as everybody starting out is afraid to leave any money on the table & pricing differs so much in location & especiallly in service . If you want to order from China etc thru e-bay , nobody would match those prices IMO . Leaving money on the table is part of getting experience & paying for it . That won't ever be forgotten . Leaving money on the table also cements a customer base .

• Like 1

:lol:, I would hug ya back !! I enjoy discussing , even if it is disagreeing ( like I had to prequalify that !!! :) ) . I try to not even read the threads asking " what to charge " as everybody starting out is afraid to leave any money on the table & pricing differs so much in location & especiallly in service . If you want to order from China etc thru e-bay , nobody would match those prices IMO . Leaving money on the table is part of getting experience & paying for it . That won't ever be forgotten . Leaving money on the table also cements a customer base .

Ya I try not to open pricing ones to cause this is what happens and I agree with the above. I am very set in my pricing structure and daily turn away work when some comes in and says "example graphics sign shop" or www.cheapinternetbannersite.com" will do it for this price so can you match it?

On a side note arguments with you always brighten my day!!!

• Like 1

USCUTTER does not offer any retail or wholesale to the trade services. This whole conversation it about outsourcing services (printing banners specifically) and USCUTTER does not fit into this at all. They offer materials and equipment.

But they do , they just don't charge differently , but they will sell to anybody . They may not ship to certain places , but anybody walking thru the door can buy what they sell at the cheapest prices .. no matter if in a t-shirt , suit or a uniform with a name tag . All that is just perceived " stance " IMO . USCutter does fit into this as the reference was made that a " real " printer & a real " wholesaler " would give beter prices & better quality & service . USCutter proves that completely wrong IMO , even though just a comparison of companies that only sell to somebody having a silly DOA etc .This has tangented off several times as this subject always does :lol: :laugh: :lol: USCutter's logo is extremely true " Always the best Value " . What they sell is as good of quality & thier service is as good as it gets . There is a recent thread sarcastically complaining about them delivering too fast !!!

If they do wholesale inhouse printing then I am corrected but I was totally unaware of them offering any services other than sales as I have never heard of any reference to this or seen any advertising about it.

I don't mean or want to get into " proper " definitions . I talk real life english & I consider a price drastically less than suggested retail or average selling price " wholesale " . Many ads are worded " wholesale prices " even though it is an end user retail sale . So IMO USCutter has wholesale prices to the public which is actually a end user retail price . Retail means to me " reselling " something made by someone else . That is what WD-40 does , retails some things , but manufactires only WD-40 ( from what i can find out ) . I fully understand how it works with wholesale prices to licensed trades etc & have dealt with all that thru-out my life .

I just dont view wholesale trade services the same as wholesale supplies.

they differ so much I cant even have them in the same tax bracket within my accounting software. haha

I guess you CAN'T have WHOLESALE PRICES in there either . Seems that was what the conversation started with ...........HEHE

BTW , I can make a column within a bill head with a heading of WHOLESALE PRICES etc just as e-z as getting a DBA etc .. what exactly changes in the VAST difference you mention ??

SA does not take anybody disagreeing with him as anything other than personal it seems . John did not insult you in anyway !!! I have never agreed with anybody over everything & never took it as negative at all . I always take others disagreeing as another perspective to be considered & sincerely value it for it's worth . On this issue , I would say it isn't worth a darn thing ... if the company SA is talking about opened their service to the public , his stance seems to say the quality would diminish . I have always thought " Wholesale Only " was a way to keep the prices higher & let some think they were in an " elite " circle . When R.E Micheals , a electrical supply house that was only open to " Wholesale Only " , I bought from them anyway thru 1 of the many licensed Electricians , contractors . Now , they have changed with the economy & sell to a less standard of " Pros " . It will always be a difference of opinion on this subject , I don't bring it up , but respond as does John . I think John & I have a much more diverse level of experience than most :)

This forum is about beginners & not the Donald Trumps of the world , so advice like that seems very out of place . I am sure i can find a company that would devastate the conpanies described pricewise & quality would be the exact same .

Wholesale at one time meant something when i first started contracting in the 60s all the lumber companys gave discounts to contractors where you could make an extra 15 percent off the jobs . Wholesale now is a way to draw people in in hopes of saving a little money but in reality probably ends up costing them a little extra . I always do a search and buy at the best price for the same quality . As a matter of fact I got as much as 25.00 difference in goodyear wrangler tires per tire in my search before installing tires on my old pickup recently so the title wholesale means little these days with the web and price matching deals and Lowes offers a 10percent extra off their competitions lowest price . I price my work for what i want and not by what anybody prices their work or product at .

Dan

• Like 1

Wholesale services to the trade.

Getting work done by a subcontractor. Hiring out the labor and work involved. Just getting a finished, ready for the customer assembled product. Not raw materials. A Wholesale printer to the trade is going to offer products to vendors for pennies on the dollar as their material cost of raw goods is drastically lower than what yours is going to be.

Even in my relatively small shop I get a fairly good deal on raw goods that if better than any advertised price on the web that I am aware of.

As I said before I cannot print and finish a banner for the same cost that I can contract one out for. When the same material is costing them .14 per sq ft or less that i am paying .51 for, (.64 on uscutters web site if I was to get the same material there) it kind of makes sense in my book. No hassle, no misprints, no bad hems, no bad grommets, no time for me or a employee to attend to printer, hemming and all around finishing.

I keep hearing the arguments against everything I say as anyone can say any price is wholesale pricing. I never said that its not. But if your paying 3.33 per sf for wholesale thats not that great of a deal. I dont want to keep throwing numbers around but really what are you not understanding about what I am saying? You would rather spend 80 dollars to make 80 or spend 24 to make 136? Seems pretty simple to me.

Referring web pricing I see nobody that offers banners printed on anything worthwhile for anywhere near that dollar per. Sure there is junk out there for that and let the price only shopppers have that junk.

the main difference between the 2 is price!!!! one makes ok money one product A and the other makes hardly nothing on product A. The wholesale only place works on volume! they make their money on 1000 banners not 100 banners. it just makes them have to work more hours to make the same money. rabbit and hare kinda idea.

as for me being a real printer. i guess me producing banners, signs, custom printing on a 20,000 dollar machine everyday, for hospitals, schools, and people everyday must not make me a real printer to you, but the people i work for and give a fair price to they think so.

• Like 1

Wholesale services to the trade.

Getting work done by a subcontractor. Hiring out the labor and work involved. Just getting a finished, ready for the customer assembled product. Not raw materials. A Wholesale printer to the trade is going to offer products to vendors for pennies on the dollar as their material cost of raw goods is drastically lower than what yours is going to be.

Even in my relatively small shop I get a fairly good deal on raw goods that if better than any advertised price on the web that I am aware of.

As I said before I cannot print and finish a banner for the same cost that I can contract one out for. When the same material is costing them .14 per sq ft or less that i am paying .51 for, (.64 on uscutters web site if I was to get the same material there) it kind of makes sense in my book. No hassle, no misprints, no bad hems, no bad grommets, no time for me or a employee to attend to printer, hemming and all around finishing.

I keep hearing the arguments against everything I say as anyone can say any price is wholesale pricing. I never said that its not. But if your paying 3.33 per sf for wholesale thats not that great of a deal. I dont want to keep throwing numbers around but really what are you not understanding about what I am saying? You would rather spend 80 dollars to make 80 or spend 24 to make 136? Seems pretty simple to me.

Referring web pricing I see nobody that offers banners printed on anything worthwhile for anywhere near that dollar per. Sure there is junk out there for that and let the price only shopppers have that junk.

I understand that & agree with the intent as i take it . . What got this going is the reference about " Wholesale Only " & the quality that alone brings , Dan stated it exactly in his last post & that is how i have seen it thru my life & see it as it is today .

I always consider other's perspectives & take a step back & try to be objective & unbiased .. what jumps out at me in this conversation is the purpose of a banner itself . It seems to me as a tempoary advertising item .. the exact opposite from a family heirloom . So i think price only is the motive for 99.99% of all shoppers . A minimum quality is needed for sure , but a banner is not a long term item ( PLEASE don't get into a banner's definition etc :lol: :laugh: :lol: ) I would bet that as technology advances & especially if the economy does not improve , but keeps plumeting ( no tangent wanted on that subject !!! :lol: ) Higher quailty will be available for cheaper & cheaper prices . The comparison i use that EVERYBODY LOVES ... about Hechinger's & Home Depot is real & applies . That is reality & should be considered by any wise business owner .

as for me being a real printer. i guess me producing banners, signs, custom printing on a 20,000 dollar machine everyday, for hospitals, schools, and people everyday must not make me a real printer to you, but the people i work for and give a fair price to they think so.

I am not being defensive as I have NEVER said anything about you not being a real printer .. fact is I say anybody who makes 1 litle decal is a decal maker & the same applies to anybody printing or doing anything else !!! SA said you were a real printer & that is all I read saying anything about " real " ?? Did anybody else say you were not a real printer besides that other voice in your head ?? :lol: I don't remember reading Slice & Dice saying it or anybody ??

I understand that & agree with the intent as i take it . . What got this going is the reference about " Wholesale Only " & the quality that alone brings , Dan stated it exactly in his last post & that is how i have seen it thru my life & see it as it is today .

I always consider other's perspectives & take a step back & try to be objective & unbiased .. what jumps out at me in this conversation is the purpose of a banner itself . It seems to me as a tempoary advertising item .. the exact opposite from a family heirloom . So i think price only is the motive for 99.99% of all shoppers . A minimum quality is needed for sure , but a banner is not a long term item ( PLEASE don't get into a banner's definition etc :lol: :laugh: :lol: ) I would bet that as technology advances & especially if the economy does not improve , but keeps plumeting ( no tangent wanted on that subject !!! :lol: ) Higher quailty will be available for cheaper & cheaper prices . The comparison i use that EVERYBODY LOVES ... about Hechinger's & Home Depot is real & applies . That is reality & should be considered by any wise business owner .

As usual I have no idea what your ramblings have to do with the topic at hand. Most of your replies cite examples that make no sense and this one follows that quite well. We can go back and fourth forever with your detailed, off topic examples that pertain to nothing at hand. Its kind of fun and makes me laugh pretty good. Thanks Rodger for brightening my day as usual.

As usual I have no idea what your ramblings have to do with the topic at hand. Most of your replies cite examples that make no sense and this one follows that quite well. We can go back and fourth forever with your detailed, off topic examples that pertain to nothing at hand. Its kind of fun and makes me laugh pretty good. Thanks Rodger for brightening my day as usual.

I guess that is where we differ ... I have alot of comprehension & understand your dinosaur type thinking .. I have run into it thru-out my life . ESPECIALLy when around " union " people . I also enjoy your banter/ramblings & find it hilarious . John gave up because you made his head spin ... but I like to hang in more ... even when i ask you not to go into word definition & your next post does . :lol: using an example or comparison is much different than trying to tangent the subject off topic to be correct .

But you just cant grasp what I am saying, Using examples that do not pertain to the subject. Services is not goods. Not even close. You can call me dumb all you want if that makes you feel better.

How does any of the examples you have listed this entire thread relate to for the trade services? Not even one company you have listed in your many repeated examples offers a for the trade service. They all have goods but not any service.

To call my thinking dinosaur is pretty insulting and not saying much for yourself. So you honestly believe its better to spend 80 dollars on a service than to spend 24?

Please explain this to me cause i guess us dinosaurs must not be using you new type of math.

I think this thread is dead. Way past the time to lock it down.

Come on guys, way off topic and completely ruined a good question.

SA , i am not inferring you are dumb at all . My examples pertain to what I am wanting to convey .. might not relate to your tangent off of the original topic . Most if not all the original tangent was based off of Slice & Dice's reply & your wording of " Wholesale " , " quality " etc . I try to stay within the conversation & not specify 1 item in order to seem to " win " the conversation . There is no winner , just a difference of opinion or a gained perspective .Trade services , trade goods ... atl that is not the topic ... in reality i think the topic is what pertains to the original question & that is pricing a banner . Slice & Dice gave a comparison ( said " here is a comparison " ) & you started the " Wholesale " stuff . Reread objectively , not like a lawyer trying to win his case & that will let you join my position on practical advice today , not years ago .

Coaster , what i do is not read threads that loose my interest . there are so many threads that take up much more band wisth ( word association thread ... GEEZ ) that a spirted conversation that goes along with most " pricing " threads might resolve it so it doesn't have to be debated so often .

My problem isnt with the bandwidth. I couldn't care less actually. My problem is this question turned into two and a half pages of opionion that has nothing to do with pricing a banner, which was a good question that I wish would have got more attention. Now everyone is scared to answer because both of you are a bunch of old nannys going back and forth. Answering NOTHING.