SurberSigns

how to price banners?

i have a local bar that is opening up this week and they are going to need a banner made up.... im going to order the banner from uscutter but im not sure how to price the banner...

can anybody give me any pricing for a banner that will be vinyled? im not sure how many different colors they want but i just want a rough estimate of how much i should be charging.

i have a local bar that is opening up this week and they are going to need a banner made up.... im going to order the banner from uscutter but im not sure how to price the banner...

can anybody give me any pricing for a banner that will be vinyled? im not sure how many different colors they want but i just want a rough estimate of how much i should be charging.

$100.

No wait, $200.

Uh, how about $350. ?

No seriously, how can anyone offer a "price" on an unknown-sized, unknown design, unknown market.

You want a comparison?

Go to http://www.halfpricebanners.com and see what a printed banner costs (Add $12 for shipping to their pricing)

Many times I can just whip together a multi-color design in SignBlazer, send them my .tif file and have the completed job back in my hands in three days. I charge my clients double what these halfpricebanners cost me.

(That's why it's called halfpricebanners)

If you are going to sub your banner out, may I suggest contacting Bannerjohn first.

If you are not aware, he is a member in this forum. I have used him for banner work and I was very happy with the price, final product and turn around time.

• Like 1

if you all want to sub them out i can print them for you. 3.50 per sqft hemmed, gromets plus shipping

wow, your half price banners is almost full price. Sub it out to a real printer or wholesale house, get better quality and for about half of what they charge.

I use min 15 oz for everything, very rarely anything different unless its a billboard then its a 14oz high scrim crap thats ultra cheap and strong as nails and perfectly matte.

careful on this bid also cause any bar is capable of getting about all they want for free banners from any beer dist. I can not remember ever selling a banner to a bar when all they do is ask someone such as any anheuser-busch (and they are by far the worlds largest large format printing company by volume) distributer and they will customize it and send it out for free.

wow, your half price banners is almost full price. Sub it out to a real printer or wholesale house, get better quality and for about half of what they charge.

I use min 15 oz for everything, very rarely anything different unless its a billboard then its a 14oz high scrim crap thats ultra cheap and strong as nails and perfectly matte.

What do you mean when you say "a real printer" -- here in Maryland, I've approached several high-volume graphics printing/signmaking facilities and never gotten anywhere NEAR the low prices that are offered from that website.

In fact, if you look right above, jfought (a member of this forum who does sub out work) just quoted $3.50 a sq.ft. which comes out to be $84. for a 3x8 -- and the website I referenced lists that size at $79. so I'm not sure what's the big "wow"

jfought is a real printer. Does top notch work and that is who I was referring to. But being in the industry your in and buying banners off a retail site and reselling makes no sense at all.

Have you approached a true wholesale shop or are you referring to just any open to the public large format print shop? There is a big difference there. If you want to know a good shop with 1 to 2 day shipping to your area that is WHOLESALE ONLY pm me and I can get you started in a good direction.

'wholesale only' means squat. Good work and good price is what counts.

• Like 1

When a company specializes in one thing and one thing only I would say they can offer better pricing, better products, faster turnaround, and better service.

It would be hard pressed to find any print or sign shop that deals in public sales that can match the service to the trade of a wholesale only house.

Most of thye banners I've done have been on an "emergency" basis so although I get them for $9 I charge a minimum of $100 for a basic one color banner. I charge an additional amount for additional colors and if the customer wants a graphic of some sort.

WD-40 only makes WD-40 & does not retail at all . I understand that business stradegy . I also know of companies that are spread over a zillion directions & give super service . USCutter is not a " wholesale Only " company , but they are super & give the cheapest price around .. .They are constantly expanding & It would be even harder pressed to find a company that matches their service including " Wholesale Only "

When a company specializes in one thing and one thing only I would say they can offer better pricing, better products, faster turnaround, and better service.

It would be hard pressed to find any print or sign shop that deals in public sales that can match the service to the trade of a wholesale only house.

Boy,that's one great big whopping generalization. Are you talking about the state where you live or the entire country?

Totally off topic and nothing to do with a trade only wholesaler but WD-40 makes a pile of products from blue toilet pucks to powder carpet fresheners.

And USCUTTER is a material and supply house, they offer not 1 printed wholesale or retail product that I know of.

• Like 1

Boy,that's one great big whopping generalization. Are you talking about the state where you live or the entire country?

Not a generalization at all. I think the closest wholesale only large and grand format print house to me is in Detroit. Largest in the country I know of is in CT with Ohio being awfully close in terms of volume and capabilities. (im talking roll to roll and the type of printing relevant to the sign industry.

I do not think you understood the statement (but if insulting make you feel better I am happy for you). "Trade only wholesale" service providers differs greatly from "retail and wholesale" service providers. Services being the key word here. Pricing and product selection will be quite different between the two.

Have you ever worked with a wholesale only printer? Someone who does over 500,000 sq ft roll to roll yearly through each machine? And there are many machines. Total yearly output in the millions sq ft? Everything is printed right every time. You want latex? UV? solvent? Flatbed or full roll? 24' x 150' banner? or 10 18" x 24" car mags and 1 3' x 8' banner? they can do it right every time all day long.

I do not wholesale things out as much as I used to but I still do. I rarely print banners unless they need it same day. Costs me more to print them and make them in house then to outsource it. If I need pantone matching very specific colors or large printing jobs all go out. I cant print it in-house for the prices I can get a finished ready to install product for.

If you want to voice an OPINION, fine. But to state it as fact, not so fine.

"When a company specializes in one thing and one thing only I would say they can offer better pricing, better products, faster turnaround, and better service."

That is an opinion,and also a generalization. It would also be a generalization for me to say 'Chevys are better than Fords'. It would also be my opinion, and not a fact.

If you think that by using 'wholesale only' printers makes you better or more 'professional' then go ahead and think so. But a lot of people on here are new to the business and might take your statements to be facts instead of just your opinion.

Do you also refuse to buy your other supplies from a company that sells to the general public as well?

and if you think I was insulting you...you must have a very thin skin.

Yes I understand the statement. You are saying that if a company also does retail it somehow makes their output and service less than a wholesale only printer...for some reason that only you seem to understand.

• Like 2

Totally off topic and nothing to do with a trade only wholesaler but WD-40 makes a pile of products from blue toilet pucks to powder carpet fresheners.

And USCUTTER is a material and supply house, they offer not 1 printed wholesale or retail product that I know of.

I am going by what I read a couple years ago ... logical though , as any business should expand .. that includes selling to anybody who does not take a few minutes to become a " dealer " etc ( It does not take much at all to qualify for " wholesale Only ' companies .. tax id # , any business license which are free or super cheap ) . As the economy changes MANY " Wholesale Only " business expand their customer base , just like WD-40 did ( if they did ) . The Article I read by WD-40 said they specialized in 1 product & were going to keep it that way . It would surprise me more for them to have kept that dinosaur mentality than evolve . I see MANY " Wholesale Only " venders in Sign magazines advertising for $2 per square foot .. some advertise @ $1.50 . I have called & basically if you are capable of falling down , you can qualify for that status .

• Like 1

I said nothing that i refuse to buy from anywhere or one place is better than the other. Nor did I say I was better or more professional. Twist it around how you want but that was not implied or intended to be interpreted that way.

You said "wholesale means squat" and that is what I have a problem with cause and it means quite a bit to me and it should to any one of you.

I know how you dislike anything wholesale and you have voiced your opinion on that a few times in the past. What I offered was a way for someone to achieve a goal quickly, simply and in a much more profitable manner.

I agree Rodger. Pick up a trade publication and look at pricing. It really takes nothing to be able to buy from any of them. You just have to know who to contact.

• Like 1

SA does not take anybody disagreeing with him as anything other than personal it seems . John did not insult you in anyway !!! I have never agreed with anybody over everything & never took it as negative at all . I always take others disagreeing as another perspective to be considered & sincerely value it for it's worth . On this issue , I would say it isn't worth a darn thing ... if the company SA is talking about opened their service to the public , his stance seems to say the quality would diminish . I have always thought " Wholesale Only " was a way to keep the prices higher & let some think they were in an " elite " circle . When R.E Micheals , a electrical supply house that was only open to " Wholesale Only " , I bought from them anyway thru 1 of the many licensed Electricians , contractors . Now , they have changed with the economy & sell to a less standard of " Pros " . It will always be a difference of opinion on this subject , I don't bring it up , but respond as does John . I think John & I have a much more diverse level of experience than most :)

This forum is about beginners & not the Donald Trumps of the world , so advice like that seems very out of place . I am sure i can find a company that would devastate the conpanies described pricewise & quality would be the exact same .

I said nothing that i refuse to buy from anywhere or one place is better than the other. Nor did I say I was better or more professional. Twist it around how you want but that was not implied or intended to be interpreted that way.

You said "wholesale means squat" and that is what I have a problem with cause and it means quite a bit to me and it should to any one of you.

I know how you dislike anything wholesale and you have voiced your opinion on that a few times in the past. What I offered was a way for someone to achieve a goal quickly, simply and in a much more profitable manner.

Actually John sells " Wholesale " pricewise & to anybody .The " Wholesale Only " used to be a way for a contractor to make money on the material . I don't bother with seperating profit from material etc , I just charge what I want . The bottom line is really all that matters in what the customer will pay & how much profit is made by the seller .