AAndrews19

Hand Carved Foam

Not necessarily vinyl work, but vinyl was used in the process. Constructed 100% from eps foam. Coated with a poly foam coat, and painted with water based paints. Still need to go back in and do some touch up work.

post-18354-0-62508200-1338861164.jpg

post-18354-0-05533700-1338861472.jpg

post-18354-0-64254400-1338861472.jpg

Currently working on a 'Tiki Bar' sign... I'll post some of that when I get further along!

• Like 4

Do a quick google search on 'hot wire foam cutting'

You can purchase regular old foam insulation board (EPS foam) from Lowes/ Home Depot. Cut and sculpt with hot wire tools, a dremel, files, sandpaper, etc. Coat it with a foam coat product (Styro Spray, Foam Coat, Demand Products). And paint with regular latex paints, water based paints, etc.

Hotwirefoamfactory.com is a pretty good place to start. Check out their gallery.

• Like 2

Do a quick google search on 'hot wire foam cutting'

You can purchase regular old foam insulation board (EPS foam) from Lowes/ Home Depot. Cut and sculpt with hot wire tools, a dremel, files, sandpaper, etc. Coat it with a foam coat product (Styro Spray, Foam Coat, Demand Products). And paint with regular latex paints, water based paints, etc.

Hotwirefoamfactory.com is a pretty good place to start. Check out their gallery.

thank you

• Like 1

Thank you for the inspiration, the sign looks great!

I've been wanting to get into this for a few years but hate the smell and doubt my abilities as this is more art than sign in my opinion.

How long did it take you and what can you charge (in your area) for something like that?

Thank you for the inspiration, the sign looks great!

I've been wanting to get into this for a few years but hate the smell and doubt my abilities as this is more art than sign in my opinion.

How long did it take you and what can you charge (in your area) for something like that?

Just gotta make sure you're in a well ventilated area. My shop area is in the basement, but for this stuff I work out in the garage with both door completely open. I also put a fan close by blasting air past me towards the open doors. I rarely catch a whiff. This sign took 3-4 hours of work... and about 2 hours of waiting time between the hard coat, and painting. I just started getting into it, and haven't even sold one yet. I'm not sure what I should be charging really. Aside from the coating, materials are VERY cheap, so I'm figuring I'll throw on around 40-50%. Then I need to decide what my time is worth... $60...$70 an hour? I don't really know yet. I also need to consider... is my work/ creativity worth a few extra bucks on top of that?

I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. As well as figuring out the best process for a good clean finished product. I will keep you guys updated as I progress.

For now... here's a little preview of what's next...

post-18354-0-01914200-1338925750.jpg

post-18354-0-76782200-1338925713.jpg

Very Nice. Im diggin it!

Cant wait to see more of the TIKI BAR!

I really like the 3-D effect of these type signs. Really eye catching. Looks good

Is that, #758 on the "I didn't know you could do that with a vinyl cutter!" list of ideas? I've kind of lost track...

Looks awesome!

That looks great.

Update on the tiki bar is needed.

HAHA! I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it. Still working on how everything will piece together, and how I am going to mount some LEDs in it. I promise I will post when I make some progress worth looking at!