AAndrews19

Hand Carved Foam

Here is a little update. Haven't really been able to spend as much time on it as I would like. I DID get a chance to order some LED strands which will all be hidden between the layers of flames. The 'plank' will say 'Tiki Bar' once I get around to it. Behind it is an enclosed box with will hold the power supply for the LEDs, as well as some LEDs to shine through the letters.

post-18354-0-25467300-1339993153.jpg

How brittle are those little flames?? What will keep them from being easily snapped off??

Awesome work-! It looks great!

Thanks man,

After applying the foam coat, the foam is extremely durable. Right now I am using the poly foam coat from demandproducts.com. it is a brush on application, but I plan to switch to StyroSpray1000 from industrial polymers once I have some time to build a small spray booth.

How brittle are those little flames?? What will keep them from being easily snapped off??

Awesome work-! It looks great!

They make a film that is pretty strong here is a link to the stuff. I was a bit leery also about that but the more i look into it I'm going to get some to try it out. I saw a huge office sign made from foam and when it was all done looked like a 5 ton slate rock sign.

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/-024-QT-Styroplast-Quart.html

Thanks, for the update. I have a wire foam cutter comming, I can see all kinds of potential in this. Do you have any idea how long this

would last outside?

They make a film that is pretty strong here is a link to the stuff. I was a bit leery also about that but the more i look into it I'm going to get some to try it out. I saw a huge office sign made from foam and when it was all done looked like a 5 ton slate rock sign.

http://hotwirefoamfa...last-Quart.html

I first used HWFF's 'foam coat' and was very unhappy with the result. Yes, the stuff was strong, but it was next to impossible to work with. Sets way too quick, and goes on as thick as mud. I'm not sure how that styroplast stuff will be. Might be better, I don't know.... but i'm pretty happy with the results I have gotten from demandproducts.com.

Thanks, for the update. I have a wire foam cutter comming, I can see all kinds of potential in this. Do you have any idea how long this

would last outside?

I have been told by other guys constructing similar signs made from foam that these will last many many years. I have not see for myself first hand, but the everyone I have spoke with swears by it.

• Like 1

Here is another one I started working on last night, sine the tiki bar sign is on hold until the LEDs come in.

In these photos the vinyl is still on the letters, they are not painted yet. They are also not glued in place yet, just started laying them out on the panel. Will be painted the same colors as my logo.

post-18354-0-61471500-1340123137.jpg

post-18354-0-93867900-1340123136.jpg

• Like 1

Man thats so cool.

How hard is it to work with that foam cutter?

Since my first name is Andrew I would gladly take that as a christmas present *hint hint cough cough* :D :D

I could have sworn you posted a link to the foam cutter your using. Can you share a link to the one your using?

Man thats so cool.

How hard is it to work with that foam cutter?

Since my first name is Andrew I would gladly take that as a christmas present *hint hint cough cough* :D :D

I could have sworn you posted a link to the foam cutter your using. Can you share a link to the one your using?

I built my own foam cutting table, but I also use hand tools which I got from hotwirefoamfactory.com. They sell kits with a few different options. I went the the 3-in-1 kit, 3 hand tools and a power supply. They sell tables on there also, but you can build one yourself for way cheaper if you just search around google for some instructions.

do you just lay vinyl over the foam, and then trace it out with the foam cutter?

exactly

Tiki Sign update.... been a while I know. I have a crazy work schedule. So between that, and all the small vinyl jobs I've been doing... I haven't had much time for this. Finally made some progress though.

All glued together, and added a bunch of LEDs. The foam is still uncoated and unpainted, hopefully getting that done this weekend. I'm very happy with how this is turning out.

post-18354-0-15823700-1341550555.jpg

• Like 2

Holy crap! That thing is insane! Your an artist for sure. And your not even done. If I had a tiki bar Id have one of those.

Love it with the lights but id add a little more resistance to the LEDs, theyre a tad bright, but that might be from the camera.

Thanks guys!

Holy crap! That thing is insane! Your an artist for sure. And your not even done. If I had a tiki bar Id have one of those.

Love it with the lights but id add a little more resistance to the LEDs, theyre a tad bright, but that might be from the camera.

I think it's just the camera. They don't seem this bright in person.