foxer10

RTape AT60, help with air bubbles even with Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool

Im cutting on SC series and using Oracal 651 30" and RTape AT60 30". I do small jobs at home roughly 30x30 cut sheets at a time. They contain about 33 logos tiled on the sheets. I havent been able to lay down the application tape without air bubbles since buying the cutter. Ive probably cut a few hundred logos already this is getting annoying as it takes unwanted time fixing the vinyls. Ive bought the Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool 32" and Im still having problems.

Can someone give me some tips on what I maybe doing wrong, or maybe I need to change my setup?

When you lay your app tape, is it always 100% bubble free?

I want to be able to just lay it down, trim my logos and be done with it. Im sure guys in the business dont deal with this issue.

Robert

I usually get bubbles. I dont think bubbles are a problem, you want to stay away from wrinkles. The bubbles I usually get are in the voids of cut vinyl. Like in the middle of a D, some place where the tape cant get down and stick to the backing, although it usually doesnt want to stick to the backing.

Im tagging along in case someone has some other input.

Start app tape at one end keep pressure on it and work your way across... Don't let the app tape touch the vinyl until you are applying pressure..... Squegie from the center out.... there are a million different ways to apply tape you just have to try different ways and see what works best for you.... Some people lay the app tape down sticky side up and apply the vinyl to the tape that way..... search youtube and try different ways.... my favorite way for doing large runs is the way it was demonstrated in one of the UScutter videos on how to cut a decal start to finish.... (It may have be SW now that I think but its one of the 2.)

I realize I didnt describe it well enough. The air bubbles I mentioned arent little bubbles between the vinyl and app tape and its not air trapped in the hole of a "D" letter. That I can careless about. Its where the app tape just ripples and creates waves between the vinyl and app tape. Normally 80% are ok but the rest I have to slowly peel and refix which is unnecessary and time consuming. A few sometimes cant be fixed cause I end up wrinkling the vinyl.

Dr12volt1338, on uscutter video, i see them using another roll to roll the app tape. Do you mean that? Also, note that they are using an app tape that is less tacky and paperlike compared to my rtape AT60 which is plastic-like clear and tacky to remove. Im thinking its the app tape thats giving me this grief.

Robert

I use the cheapest app tape my supplier has on sale that day but I do feel that even though the plastic or clear tape is prettier it is more of a pain in the butt. As for bubbles I suppose I do get them but since it doesn't in most cases effect the application of the decal I don't sweat them. I prefer a felt squeegy for everything but I do hava a few traditional squeegies that I've pimped the edges with the soft side of velcro for when I need a bit more pressure. Never tried the big squeegy but to me (having NOT tried it) it looks like more trouble than it's worth.

If your getting the wrinkles I mentioned. Then those are the ones you have to worry about like you found out. They cause air bubbles when you apply the graphic.

You just need practice applying the tape. Its not something you can just do, you need to learn it. Just like everything else. You keep at it. Youll get it figured out. Or buy a laminator.

The main thing like was stated earlier don't let the tape touch until you are squeegeeing down you may want to buy or build a tape holder/dispenser makes it simple just pull out the tape the length of youe vinyl and a little extra stick the end to your table slide your vinyl under then squeegee from the end center out both ways . There are several ways to apply just try until you find one that suits you best . I use Rtape 4075 for every thing seems to work great for about any standard application .

Dan

There is a very good post on the forum somewhere on building a home made tape holder looks like it would work really slick... The video from UScutter with the guy using the other tape roll as the applicator is the one I was talking about and it is a great method for large pieces... This just isn't something that is easy it takes time and practice. When I was first learning I always had 2 guys applying tape on large runs....

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions. I tried the method of putting the app tape sticky side up as Dr12volt1338 mentioned. Cut my vinyl into10" wide column strips and laid them down slowly. It worked!! 99% wrinkle free. I do get big air bubbles in the hole of the P and O but its no big thing. I tried doing two columns worth and it did get wrinkles. The app tape is not completely flat and i feel thats is whats causing the problem there. It would be unavoidable to still practice and find a better solution of applying larger vinyl in the future.

The biggest thing is you have to keep the app tape stretched tight as you apply it. As soon as you get a little slack in it you will have problems.

Something not mentioned, is make sure your work table is good and flat. I had a little

problem using one of those plastic 8' tables that had become bowed in the middle as I

was applying the app tape.

Im cutting on SC series and using Oracal 651 30" and RTape AT60 30". I do small jobs at home roughly 30x30 cut sheets at a time. They contain about 33 logos tiled on the sheets. I havent been able to lay down the application tape without air bubbles since buying the cutter. Ive probably cut a few hundred logos already this is getting annoying as it takes unwanted time fixing the vinyls. Ive bought the Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool 32" and Im still having problems.

Can someone give me some tips on what I maybe doing wrong, or maybe I need to change my setup?

When you lay your app tape, is it always 100% bubble free?

I want to be able to just lay it down, trim my logos and be done with it. Im sure guys in the business dont deal with this issue.

Robert

You can try this machine for sheeting the application tape, see this link : http://www.weedersheeter.com

from his posts, i bet he owns the webpage, or its a scam, 1 post and only to pst a link seems suspicious

when i applied tape to my vinyl, i used a table that i had laying down, put it in middle of the take and put it in the middle of the vinyl, then worked my way to the sides (kinda like when applying the large vinyl yo a car) and i didnt had any wrinkle that way