earlsembroidery

Serial Port to USB? Cutter wont finish a project! Wasted Vinyl

I am having major issues with the cutter not completing cuts.  It stops mid way causing lots of vinyl waste!!  Im completely fed up. I have tried 2 different USB cords.  The one that came with the refine didnt work at all.  I get the same problem with both USB cables.  My laptop only has a 15 pin serial port.  NOT a 9 pin like the refine cutter. 

Will it work with a 9 pin to 15 pin converter?  IF not how can I get the cutter to be more reliable?  I have orders to fulfil.

The Baud rate of the machine matches the  signblazer software.  The machine is level sitting on carpet.  I have tried it on a dedicated receptable and the same problem occurs...it just stops cutting.  How can I fix this :P

Really close to feeling like I wasted my money!

the 15 pin port on your laptop is a vga (RGB) monitor port, so a 9-15 pin converter wont do you much. the most suggested addition is the keyspan usb-serial converter... it seems to solve most peoples problems.

the 15 pin port on your laptop is a vga (RGB) monitor port, so a 9-15 pin converter wont do you much. the most suggested addition is the keyspan usb-serial converter... it seems to solve most peoples problems.

okay ill see if i can pick one up at frys today and try it out.

thanks for the suggestion and i hope it helps.  ive wasted a lot of expensive heat transfer material.

i know its a must have for mac users, and ive heard of several pc users solving their problems with it...

the model is keyspan usa-19hs

another suggestion is to check your grounding and make sure theres no static buildup

I had the same problem with USB. After I changed to serial connection I have never had any.

i know its a must have for mac users, and ive heard of several pc users solving their problems with it...

another suggestion is to check your grounding and make sure theres no static buildup

Okay, so I picked up a us 19hs model from frys and it seems the thing wont fit in to the side of the cutter.  its like the 2 locking screws on the sides are stopping the cable from connecting!  should i be removing the screws or something?  i didnt want to change anything in case i needed to take this cable  back? OKAY, I REALIZE I HAVE A CREATION MODEL...NOT REFINE.  DOES THIS CHANGE THE NEED FOR THE KEYSPAN?

Creation? Ok, we are currently working on finding the cause of this issue, and have several files from customers that stopped part way through cutting. We have yet to recreate the issue here, so more testing is needed. Could you please post a copy of the file, or files you were trying to cut when this happened?

I don't think the Creation has a serial connection,only USB. I could be wrong but my brother has one and that's what he told me.

Okay, so I picked up a us 19hs model from frys and it seems the thing wont fit in to the side of the cutter.  its like the 2 locking screws on the sides are stopping the cable from connecting!  should i be removing the screws or something?  i didnt want to change anything in case i needed to take this cable  back? OKAY, I REALIZE I HAVE A CREATION MODEL...NOT REFINE.  DOES THIS CHANGE THE NEED FOR THE KEYSPAN?

you need to place the serial cable in between the cutter and the usb adapter...

The newer Creation and LaserPoint models now have both Serial and USB.

that is good to know...isn't it ironic that they added a serial now that most computers don't come with one?

Any chance that there is a way to add one to the older models like my brother has?

Oh,and it might be a good idea to update the description on ebay. Still says only USB.

The newer Creation and LaserPoint models now have both Serial and USB.

that is good to know...isn't it ironic that they added a serial now that most computers don't come with one?

Any chance that there is a way to add one to the older models like my brother has?

Oh,and it might be a good idea to update the description on ebay. Still says only USB.

Yes, with the new style motherboard and side plate where the connection plugs are accessible.

Thanks for the heads up on the auction description.

:P

having same problem with my pcut, where can i get this usb cable? I too have jobs waiting and Ive only had my pcut 24 for 3 weeks. :huh:

I have a creation 630 i think it is , half way through the cuts it stops for no reason

and on the lcd screen it is saying Waiting  when I go back to the cutting program

it  is not responding , waste alot of vinyl this week

it was working fine before this  little issues with the usb

It as USB only  I tried different cables and different coms

any ideas

I have both a refine 721 and pcut 630 cutter, I was having the same problem with the cutters not completing the cuts, freezing and locking up, loosing communication with the cutter etc.....

I was using both cutters on usb and tried the usb to serial converters with no luck. When the cutters did complete the cuts they worked great so I was pretty sure that there was no problems with the cutters...

Here is what I did to solve the problem, both of the computers I was using the cutters on were laptops with only usb connections, no serial or parallel ports......One had both a PCMCIA slot and expresscard slot the other one only had an expresscard slot, one is running XP and the other Vista.....I installed a PCMCIA to serial port card and an expresscard to serial port card to give me a db9 serial port on both computers and connected the cutters to the serial ports on both computers and to date both cutters have worked flawlessly.....

Most laptops are going to have some type of expansion slot either PCMCIA or expresscard, just be sure to get the correct card for your machine so it fits and works correctly.

I think what was causing my problems is that I was overloading the usb bus and just didnt have enough power to run everything at the same time (even using powered usb hubs).

Cant guarantee that this will solve all problems but it sure took care of mine.....

I got both cards from newegg.com.....

Best of Luck..

Dale

one thing i would suggest to save vinyl, is to put a pen in place of the cutter and draw your cut on paper. you have to set your blade offset to zero, so don't forget to set it back to whatever it was before when you put the blade back in. i draw the cut when i am node editing  a drawing to see what the cut piece will look like. after reading this thread, i will use it if i ever have trouble with my machine.

bruce blessing