vinylmotivations

Backlit Sign Panel - VERY large....

Ok guys- New something for me to battle with.

I have a large backlit sign I am going to reapply graphics to-

Knowing that the sign is large - 96"x96" - was kind of an intimidating thought at first. Also the Acrylic/PVC/Lexan (*whatever it is...) is very yellowed. Debating replacing rather than removing old graphics that are on it although there aren't many....

I considered calling my local Regal Plastics- and HOPE they can get me a panel this size. It was a custom job done by a local sign company that builds their own cabinets, drive thru signs, and light boxes etc... I DON'T want to have to call them for another panel.

Suggestions anyone?

I am going to cut the graphics for it out of Oracal 8500 Translucent most likely- although... is black really all that important in translucent??

Guest Finishing Touch

I am also doing a back lite sign and from what i have read the translucent black is better than regular it does a better job at blocking the light, the vinyl feels different than what i am used to and I am using the 8800 has a clear plastic backing, also if you have bubbles to be careful because you will see pin holes I think I read that or something very similar to that here on this forum somewhere.

I'd replace if I were you. No one likes yellowing. Gives you a better edge in pricing as well as you can tell them your completely replacing

Depends on what kind of material it is. Is it flat or pan? I would replace or walk away. 8' x 8' is pretty common just depends on the flange and face thickness.

It is pretty flimsy... and flat- so figured it would be pretty easy... somone had already changed the vinyl on it so it already looks kinda wonky. I will try and upload a picture. Just not sure where to get something like this locally at wholesale.

I DO have an Xpress Graphix Supply but thats it as far as wholesale, other then Fellers.

Change it out!!!! Yellow looks like crap. Just think how much better those black letters will look on a clean white back ground. Plus think of the long run for you and the customer. If it is yellow and flimsy that means its life span is wearing out. It will soon begin to crack and that will look even worse. But thats just my two thoughts...

Yeah the change out was a given- my question is more of a what to replace it WITH and where to get it... This particular sign is mounted to the side of a building above a grassy area facing the street.... so it will be either getting onto the roof and sliding it down in, or using an extension ladder and sliding it in from the side.

Acrysteel or Lexan are really the only good choices for that size.

Pretty common to find locally, all my faces and cans come from a outfit out of Florida.