I purchased a MH-721 a week ago to start my own decal business. I realized it was a low end model, but I wanted something that I didn't have a lot of money in, in case it didn't take off. Well it's taken off really well! In just a week, I am doing about 10-20 decals a day, anywhere from 12 inches to 40 inches. My question is, how long will this cutter hold up under this kind of use? I realize it's not a professional model, so I plan on saving money to purchase a professional one in the near future. I just wanted some opinions on how long you all think the 721 will hold up under this type of use?

Also how often should I be replacing blades? I am currently replacing blades every 20 yards of vinyl. Should I be replacing more or less often?

Thank you all for any insight!

Less often... but it really depends- if you chip the tip off your blade or use too much pressure or speed you can damage it. My blades last 6-12 months in my graphtec and I burn about 10yds a week.....

• Like 1

How much are you cutting into your backing? I bet your leaving a mark. I had the same problem when I first started. I used to have my pressure set to the lowest the machine was set to and adjusted the blade to that. Now I set the blade to the proper depth and use the pressure to fine tune it. I used to run through blades, now I get tons of life out of them.

I dont have the MH series, I have a used COPAM but Ive seen plenty of people make more then enough money with the MH series. Learn as much as you can and youll be happy with your cutter. Any free time you have read this site and watch youtube videos. Before you know it, youll be buying a second cutter to keep up with business.

• Like 1

Thank you both! I actually am not cutting into the backing, I made that mistake when I first set it up, I said "WHOA I don't think it's supposed to do that!" I adjusted it to where the blade could just BARELY be seen, and I leave no marks on the backing. However I am wondering if that is part of the problem, maybe I have it too thin? The cutter sometimes makes extra marks or doesn't cut through the vinyl in some places, maybe I should adjust it some? I kept thinking the blade was bad.

Currently I am using about 5-7 yards a day, should I be able to use this cutter at this rate for at least a few months?

WOW for first starting that is a lot.... how much vinyl did you order!!! I work out of home and when I am cutting my cutter runs non-stop but otherwise I am too busy at my day job to do more than I do right now.

You can expect to eat blades when you cut stuff like reflective and thicker materials. You probably don't need to change out blades until you notice that you either require more pressure, or can't run as fast as you used to.

My graphtec has a blade wear counter that I am sure runs faster than it needs.... but I use the cut quality as a guideline.

I can cut down to 1/8th" letters without issue.

Yes, I ran out of vinyl on my 2nd day! It set me so far behind and now I am about 12 orders down!! I also work from home, and this machine is super awesome!

I notice when cutting thin lines like butterfly antennaes that the cutter actually rips it off or it frays, is there a way to prevent this, or am I screwed because my machine doesn't contour cut?

Contour cutting is only for printed things where you're contouring to a printed line. What you need for finer detail is slow the speed, and a 60 degree blade.

Oh my Gosh, you are a lifesaver! I could just HUG YOU!! What speed is best to print with? Right now it's telling me 380 mm/s - Baud Rate 9600

Oops that was the up-speed the cut rate was 1000, I lowered it to 550 and lowered the up-speed to 350. I hope it works! I also ordered some 60 degree blades for the future.

I always keep my speed at the slowest itll go. I havent needed to speed it up. I weed slower then it cuts as it is. Im usually weeding something while the cutter is running so I dont even notice the speed. So the cutter waits on me.

The way your going youll have 3 graphtecs and two heat presses in weeks time.

Something isn't adding up here --- I've owned an MH871 as my primary cutter in a retail sign store since last September, and have yet to replace a blade.

I've used up many many many 50-yard rolls of Oracal 651 (and the GreenStar equivalent) -- I'm routinely cutting vinyl as wide as 30" and hundreds of yards of length have gone through this cutter.

The ONLY reason that I went with buying the LiYu-SC had to do with a broken USB port on the MH, and when the SC arrived a few weeks ago I started using it, and set aside the MH as a backup machine. (I've replaced the USB port card on the MH and it's good as new, should I ever need to fire it up)

• Like 1