DecalOriented

Probably a simple fix that I'm unaware of.

I'm having an issue with cutting an order for a client. It's a fairly intricate decal, that I'm already losing my tail on cause it takes so long to weed. Problem I'm having is that the blade keeps lifting some of the finer details out. This wouldn't be an issue if they didn't need to stay in place. Is this just something I'm going to have to deal with? I advised against going this small but they insisted.

Here's the details.

6.5"w X 3.05"h

US Cutter 34"sc

Briteline vinyl (I hope to God this isn't the problem)

60* blade

50g pressure (I've tried everything from 2g to 100g)

200 speed (If i go any slower the order won't be finished till next month.)

I still have 750 more of these to cut!

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

The problem is probably a combination of the speed and the blade exposure.

I would start by slowing down the cutter. Im sure even at the slowest setting, its cutting faster then you can weed. Break the job into several cuts of say 50 decals. So while your weeding the 50 its cutting another 50. Before you know it, youll have a stack of decals waiting to be weeded.

Make sure your blade is clean. Any little bit of adhesive on the blade will make things stick to it. I will usually spray mine with a little WD-40 to keep things from sticking and makes it turn easier too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I cannot for the life of me get my cutter to do more than one row at a time. So it's 8 per row, I cut off after two rows so that I do not drag my arms over the project and pull up the fine pieces.

I'm using signcut at the moment. once this order is finished I'm going to dedicate some time to learning signgo but at the moment I can't even get my work to show up in that program.

*edit* added some 2 in 1 oil to the tip. I usually just add a drop into the holder for lubrication. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is nothing wrong with your vinyl. Briteline is just another House brand name for General Formulations vinyl. As suggested, less blade for sure and lower speed. You state you can't cut more decals. Would I be correct and asking if it's on USB connection? Keyspan adapter, serial cable is always the best.

If you need someone to help you cut some of these let me know.

+1 I was just thinking of offering some help too. Ill run a few through my cutter if you need.

Make sure your blade is clean. Any little bit of adhesive on the blade will make things stick to it. I will usually spray mine with a little WD-40 to keep things from sticking and makes it turn easier too.

nice tip thanks :thumbsup:

The blade is barely visible as is. Oiling seems to be working so far. I really appreciate the offer to help out but with what I charged I'm losing money on these fast as is. The price of doing work for friends i guess.

*Edit*

Now that I think of it I did back the blade out quite a bit more. was doubtful if would have even cut, but it is.

It's all trial and error when you get started. I upgraded my plotter's blade holder some time ago to avoid the "lifting" and then decided that I hate weeding little decals...

It's all trial and error when you get started. I upgraded my plotter's blade holder some time ago to avoid the "lifting" and then decided that I hate weeding little decals...

I'm realizing that now myself. But, I learned something from this project and now know to charge extra next time they order these.

• Like 1

I actually have better luck with a 45 deg blade. I had 2 - 60deg clean cut blades and they both caused problems. The cutting tip is so small it chips.

Mark

Well I think I solved the problem. I changed blades, and set teh new one so that you can't even see it. I use a "helping hands" modelling magnifier to set it and it's almost non-existent to the eye. cutting at 9g and 200sp. coming out beautiful. Now if I could only get the thing to cut everything every time and stop making so much waste I may make some money on this job. Going to order a keyspan to see if that helps. Letting it rest for now, been running for 12 hours straight. I have lots of weeding and taping to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It's liek learning all over again with this machine. The roland and Graphtecs we have at work run flawless every time for 10+ year old machines. guess I expected all machines to be the same. Hopefully I can get the boss to let one go since we buy all of our signs now.

Thats the simple mistake everyone makes. Glad you got it running good.

Now you have lots of weeding to do. Have fun!