Teamxdmatt

Layering vinyl advice (pre-assembling)

I had a customer that wanted a 2 color decal made and one of them came out perfect and the other one has bubbles between the layers.. how can i prevent this? i'm pre-assembling these and they get shipped out i know it isn't the best idea to pre assemble but that's what i was told to do. i know you cant really spray and fluid on it and have to do it dry from what i keep reading about.. the decal is 6" x 33" .. all im doing to the top layer is taking the backing off and re-applying the backing with just the registration marks showing so i can apply it to the reg marks on the bottom color. Then i take that backing off and start putting it over the bottom color slowly while trying to squeegee it somewhat..

There are a ton of videos on YouTube about layering vinyl. As for the bubbles you can poke them with a pin and drain them. Make sure the vinyl is warm when you layer it and start in the center and work out both ways never start on the outside and work in.

I took a lot of my knowledge from this guy.

have yet to try layering yet...that video was great, thanks raven

• Like 1

i was doing it the way he is but i had quite a few bubbles in between the layers.. i wasn't using clear tape just paper

i was doing it the way he is but i had quite a few bubbles in between the layers.. i wasn't using clear tape just paper

it takes a bit of practice i still get air in between the layers. I found the clear tape works the best for layering the decals.

I found that securing the layers so they dont move helps a lot. If you have 10 hands to hold everything then lucky you. I was only given 2. I do it the way its done in the video but I dont have clear tape. I did find a light box at a yard sale for $5 bucks and I wouldnt do it with regular mask without a light box.

I just did a job with multiple decals like in the video, and found its easier with large graphics. It kind of gives you more time to work. If that doesnt make sense, youll see when you do your first one.

Just practice. Make yourself some layered decals and keep them for displays. That way if you mess up its no big deal. Just like anything else. Patience and practice pays.

Practice Practice Practice. Paper premask is fine to use too. Just Remember: Tension & Pressure.