Conquestgraphics

What's the difference DECAL vs STICKER? Answered

Let’s go to the New Oxford Dictionary and try to break it down.

sticker n. an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated.

label n. a small piece of paper, fabric, plastic, or similar material attached to an object andgiving information about it.

decal n. a design prepared on special paper for transfer onto another surface such as glass,porcelain, or metal.

We generally use the term “label” to describe adhesive products printed on papers or foils with inks not suitable for outdoors. “Address labels”, “shipping labels”, “lapel labels”, “foil seals”, etc., these tend to be supplied on rolls or sheets for use (indoors) on packaging, paperwork, clothing, products, etc.

The term, “Decals” on the other hand, is often used interchangeably with other outdoor sticker products. But, as you can see in the New Oxford definition, “decals” are more associated with a “transfer” from one medium to another. “Decal” is short for “decalcomania” and usually is a more decorative type design. Thus “slide-on transfer decals” in the model building world, or water-slide ceramic decals (Transfers) for tile and ceramic uses are an accurate use of the decal term.

Where the decal-or-sticker confusion usually lies stems from vinyl cut lettering and graphics.These are for long term outdoor use and are supplied with a pre-masking sheet, so upon application are transferred from one sheet/medium to another. Unlike a traditional “sticker” which is removed from it’s backing paper and stuck where-ever, these vinyl decals are being transferred (often in multiple pieces) from the masking sheet to a smooth surface. Vinyl cut lettering and graphics are referred to as “decals” and all other one-piece, outdoor printed vinyl or clear polyester as “stickers”. Decals are a type of sticker, however, so you’ll hear and see the term “vinyl cut stickers” as well . I hope that drawn out answer helps.

• Like 2

I actually believe that a decal is something you can sell for 300-500X your cost vs. a sticker that goes for cost + 50%... at least that's what I've been living by.

If you are using the " Queen's English " .. it might make a difference . In real life , our english is very vague & changes drastically according to location . What is called soda in Maryland is called pop in WV . It does not change the taste of the beverage at all . Whatever makes a person happy , but going by that dictionary doesn't make communication any easier . I would understand what was being described by either word . Slang gets adopted into even Webster's dictionary & either or both of these words could be from slang ( I especially think sticker is from slang . )

I don't sell stickers nor decals. I sell signage and identification. ;)

...... Alas .... A rose by any other name .... is still just a rose .... :lol: